The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-01-2004, 02:52 PM

Okay - I'm thinking about trying my hand at welding. Nothing major - some sheetmetal and miscellaneous welding. I've been looking at some welders at my local box hardware stores - looking at both MIG and stick welders. I also read a bit about stick and MIG welding on some dicussion groups.

Stick welding appears to be the preferred method for those starting out - is that true?

What are the differences between MIG and stick? Which is easier (for beginner)?

Are there any significant limitations, given my probable use, of either one?

Oh yeah - I don't want to spend a boat load of money - at least at first (MIG welders more expensive???)

Also - is there a good book . . . like . . . "Welding for Dummies"?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:52 PM

Okay - I'm thinking about trying my hand at welding. Nothing major - some sheetmetal and miscellaneous welding. I've been looking at some welders at my local box hardware stores - looking at both MIG and stick welders. I also read a bit about stick and MIG welding on some dicussion groups.

Stick welding appears to be the preferred method for those starting out - is that true?

What are the differences between MIG and stick? Which is easier (for beginner)?

Are there any significant limitations, given my probable use, of either one?

Oh yeah - I don't want to spend a boat load of money - at least at first (MIG welders more expensive???)

Also - is there a good book . . . like . . . "Welding for Dummies"?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Dan, If you are going to weld body panels,
then I would suggest you go to your local welding gas supplier and check out their Mig welder selection. They should be able to give you the advice you are looking for. Personally, I've had very good results with my Lincoln Mig Pak 10 Welder. Hope I've helped. irgoatmike

Old 04-01-2004, 06:46 PM

If your a beginner I would begin with a mig welder, the mig is easier to operate with less technique involved. Generally a stick welder is better suited for structural steel as opposed to sheetmetal. They tend to overpower the sheetmetal and when the voltage is turned down it increases the chance of the rod sticking to the metal. The biggest limiting factor is price of mig welder. My 110v Hobart Welder cost $700 bucks after getting the tank and extra spool and helmet and such. I would also caution against flux core wire for a mig, it doesn't require gas to operate but the quality of weld in my opinion isn't as good. Also with mig welding there is no slag to chip which is a major plus in my book over Stick welding and flux core welding. Hope this helps out.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dirty Dan - MIG! Its easy. Had never welded before. Got whole setup played on some pieces a few times then went at it. The gas will tend to blow holes if you sit to long, so don't. Also weld holes from top to bottom pulling weld down to fill hole. Do it then stop method for larger holes as your weld will just fall out and spatter on the concrete and jump into your shoes. Ask me how I know!

Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM

Great info all - thanks. Now . . . a newbie welder question. I've seen "electric" MIG welders - and gas - what's the deal?

Old 04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

first welder was a lincoln wire welder with the flux core wire, good learning experience. Weldpack 100, highly recommended.

Old 04-02-2004, 04:33 AM

Dirty Dan;

A good first book to get is "Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch. It covers all the basic welding processes and does it in a way that is easily understandable for the beginner. You can probably get it from a local bookstore or Amazon has it for $13.27 - here's a link Amazon. Once you decide on a welder check this place out for price before you buy Welding Supply. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how you make out.

Old 04-02-2004, 04:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dirty Dan,

If you are not going to be doing a lot of welding, I wouldn't invest big dollars into a system. There are plenty of good welders out there and you can spend as much as $500 for a top of the line Miller or Hobart 115v set up or as little as $300 for a basic no frills system from Sears. I have used Miller, Hobart, & Lincolns at work and perfer the Hobart 135 Handler over all of them, but when I bought my own, I bought one from Sears. It doesn't have an adjustable regulator for the CO2, but it worked perfect for what I planned to do. I looked at it as it was a couple hundred dollars that I could spend on the car by going with the cheaper unit.

Do not use flux core wire, you will not like the job that it does and will have a lot of grinding to do to clean up the splatter it leaves. Use bare wire, I perfer .030 over the smaller wires, and do a lot of playing with the welder regarless of which one you buy before you use it on your car.

Learn to stitch weld and what heat range to opperate at.

Good luck

Old 04-02-2004, 10:50 AM

Well - why do I see some "gasless" MIG welders and others that say no modification is necessary to use gas? Can you MIG weld without gas?

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know the difference between "gasless" MIG welding (if there is such a thing), and stick welding - but I can't wait to learn.

I'm just itching to buy a welder and go bust up a lawn chair so I can weld it back together - the wait's KILLING ME!

You see - that's how I justify things I want for my car to the Ms . . . just say how many other things I can fix!

woooohoooo!

-dan

Old 04-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Senior Chief

gasless mig uses flux core wire. If you use plain wire you need to use gas. I bought the lincoln which came with an instruction on welding video. And I can add gas later to this model. Some welders out there dont have that option to update your welder If you decide to go gasless. So that is a tip when you are shopping. BTW my brother in law was over the other day and He has worked at Midas for a long time. I let him play with it when I was hanging my exaust and He said mine was better than the one at his shop. 340 bucks at Home Depot.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dan, perhaps, I can add some info. All welders need some gas around the hot weld to keep oxygen away during the welding process.

A stick welder has a coating on the rod that performs this function. A MIG welder using flux-core wire has the flux inside to do the same thing. A MIG (true MIG Metal-Inert-Gas) uses a plain wire feed with the 'shielding' gas provided thru the gun from a tank. The welds are cleaner than with a flux core wire.

Some MIGS (not the Russian kind) come with no gas hookups, you need to spend more money later for the hose, valve, etc. Others come with the necessary hardware and all you need to do is add the tank. In any case you can use either setup with the flux core wire until you decide.

I bought a Hobart Handler 135. It has the gas setup, but so far I have been using the flux core. Welded sheet metal to 3/16" angle. Need to get a tank to try out the gas.

George

Old 04-03-2004, 09:11 PM

Thanks all - I think I've got a good idea on how to begin my venture. I'm thinking about going with Lincoln - but will take a look at hobart. They seem to be the two most popular and reliable set-ups.

I saw a nice Lincoln MIG set-up at the local big box store - HD3200 (I think) - it comes with the gas tank - everything ready to go. Anyone had any experience with this unit?

George - thanks - that's the explanation I was looking for. The flux acts as the gas - but creates "splatter." Makes complete sense.

Off I go.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:22 PM

Well - I'm thinking about the Lincoln Weld-pak 3200 HD. Anyone have any experience with this unit or any opinions?

Old 04-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The plus series of the lincoln 110v migs are superior. The plus series has infinite voltage control rather than the cheaper 4 detent settings. The hobart handler 135 and others only have the 4 detents. The ability to fine tune both voltage and wire speed will yield better welds.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 04-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I mig weld on cars every day at work. If your main use will be for automotive sheetmetal, I strongly suggest getting a machine with infinite heat range adjustment instead of the 3 or 4 position heat switch. Also, do not go with gas-less. .023" diameter is the wire of choice. A larger diameter means using a higher heat range and more warpage or burn through. DO NOT get .030" unless you plan to weld mostly heavy gauge metal, like 1/8" thickness or heavier.
Stick welders are fine for welding trailer frames, bulldozer blades or steel girders. Almost no uses on a car.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've tried to weld 16 ga. with stick welder it is difficult gotta move the stick like lightning or you are going thru. Some who weld for a living are better at it as I've seen. I own 2 Millers, 200 amp AC,DC, and 200 amp Mig with adjustable ranges. the mig is new so I am not professional with it yet. I went overboard on the mig it is a industrial rated unit. Why? I figured I am only going to buy it once so I splurged. It will weld sheet metal panels and heavy plate. i wanted the best of both. I spent approx. $1800. I've been thinking about the 110 volt units because they are portable.For light work where big units can't go. Anyone have comments likes, dislikes

Old 04-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can strongly suggest a Clarke MIG welder. The price is great. I have two of them myself in my shop. I have three in my school shop that the kids use. That should be a good test!! Buy a Clarke.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:10 AM

I've seen Clarke's here and there - I understand they manufacture for Sears - Craftsman brand, and are made in the USA. They are relatively inexpensive - anyone else use these?

I'll use it on my car - but very little. I'll also do some welding repair around the house (railings, BBQ, etc.) I have a nice outdoor metal chair that needs to be welded - local weld shop wants $75 - time to buy a welder and do it myself.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When we started our project, I bought a Lincoln SP135 Plus. It is great. Comes with the gas set up etc. I paid $475 for the welder, a nice hood, a 4 foot bottle of C25 gas and three extra rolls of .025 wire. I have been using the hell out of mine and have had NO problems at all.

When I got it home, my first project was to make a cart for it. It is a real good welder, I would buy another one if I needed to.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed_Resized.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	10075  

It is not a problem.... It is just a blood pressure monitor.