Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '86 1/2 GP 2+2 production

Does anyone have any details on who and where the production modifications were performed on the 2+2? Were they done by a contract vendor? If so, who and where.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do not remember if they were in house but the work looks like it was done by drunk midgets with a sawsall and a rivet gun. I can say that when I stripped my 86 for paint there were no asc stickers in the door like my Sunbird vert had.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It was done outside factory, I can't recall the vendor. When I had mine painted the 2nd time the rear glass was removed for reseal, and the channel was not complete around the entire glass. They had to fab a couple sections and weld them in, never leaked again. Sadly shes waiting for another go round at the painter......Dave K.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric, this paragraph is taken directly from Pontiac Car Distribution Bulletin No. 86-G-4, dated January 24, 1986.

"Effective immediately, Pontiac will accept orders for the new Limited Edition Pontiac 2+2. These cars will be produced at the Ste. Therese Assembly Plant and then shipped to Auto Fab, Inc. in Ortonville, Michigan where the conversion work will be completed. The cars will then be brought back to Pontiac where they will be shipped, via truck or rail, to their final destination. (Invoices will be mailed at this time.)"

I’ve always really liked these cars and have been gathering info on them for many years. The backlight glass is the feature I like least, but I understand its aerodynamic purpose.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Rocky, that's what I was looking for. Ortonville is less than thirty minutes from where I live. I wonder if the Auto Fab facility is still standing?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem Eric. Do you have one of them?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do not. However, one of my dream collections would be made up of the mid-'80s G-bodies. One from each division: '84 Hurst/Olds Cutlass, '85 Monte Carlo SS, '86 G.P. 2+2, and the one I already own, '87 Grand National.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 PM

try www.grandprix2plus2.com for some info. I have a 2+2 that needs a resto that I would be willing to part with. Let me know.