THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually the first thing do on a piece of heavy equipment that has been parked a long time is to check all the fluids, if anything is over full, that means it is overfull from water at the bottom. Can also crack open drain plugs to get excessive water drained out before it is moved. Mostly on final drives and transmission, and most importantly, the engine.

Bad connections on a 24V system or low voltage will burn the batter connections off. Only start it with the batteries charged up good.

We have a 2 IHC TD24s, IHC TD20C, and a Cat D8H. Used for mostly conservation work on our property.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A79FD6E-7E7A-4382-9FDA-804BF1D59A97.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	625330  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Watching one of those programs getting dozer started. They had the fuel rail(I call it) was stuck.They either got fuel on it or sprayed it with penetrate, finally it moved they were afraid of run on also. I have no experience with construction equipment. The wife use to say 'you'll never grow up' with my projects. I would say ,'what's your point'! She would walk away.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

as long as we are on the equipment sitting subject, i was able to drive my kubota tractor today for the first time in over 3 years. blew a tire on it and thanks to kubota for their stupidity on having bridgestone build odd size tires that nobody makes i have had a piece of equipment that i normally use at least 3 times a week for a short time just sit. i have always fired it up at least every month or so and let it run for a while and lift the bucket up and down. but cant use it. finally after embarrassing the owner of the dealership last year at the farm show and then again this year they made it a mission and found me a tire from japan. got hosed on it but at least its useable again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muscle_collector For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Posted a video on my trials and tribulations in case anyone is interested -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBif6E-jFNQ

Old 12-21-2023, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Use fresh fuel. Drain and refill filter housing. Make sure rack is not stuck. Crack all injector lines to make sure getting fuel. My 1984 Peterbilt with a Cat 3406b had sat in a barn for 12 yrs. Fired right up. Probably doesn't have a bloch heater that could be plugged in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beemergary For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Posted a video on my trials and tribulations in case anyone is interested -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBif6E-jFNQ
Thanks for posting that, just think of all the fun to come. I was surprised there was no inline fuel shut off valve between the tank and filter(s), our machine has one right under the pickup location. Also, on our machine there are filters for both transmission and lift arm hydraulic filters, transmission filter under the floor board. There is a dealer in Dallas that carries filters for our machine (air, oil, diesel, etc.): Harlow Filter Supply (also have a warehouse in Houston). While not cheap, they used to be better priced that Holt CAT for sure.

It's all downhill from here.
Mike Pearson

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
The Following User Says Thank You to ftwmlp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes been watching your trials. I'd like to be there to get in the way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 02:04 PM

Seems like every young boy with a Tonka wants to grow up and have the real thing.
Sounds like your growin up.
Have fun playin in the dirt.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pav8427 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
Use fresh fuel. Drain and refill filter housing. Make sure rack is not stuck. Crack all injector lines to make sure getting fuel. My 1984 Peterbilt with a Cat 3406b had sat in a barn for 12 yrs. Fired right up. Probably doesn't have a bloch heater that could be plugged in.
No block heater available on this.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2023, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmlp View Post
Thanks for posting that, just think of all the fun to come. I was surprised there was no inline fuel shut off valve between the tank and filter(s), our machine has one right under the pickup location. Also, on our machine there are filters for both transmission and lift arm hydraulic filters, transmission filter under the floor board. There is a dealer in Dallas that carries filters for our machine (air, oil, diesel, etc.): Harlow Filter Supply (also have a warehouse in Houston). While not cheap, they used to be better priced that Holt CAT for sure.

It's all downhill from here.
Mike Pearson
There's actually a shutoff; it just didn't have the type of valve that I was expecting to see. I'll use that when I go back.

Thanks for the info!

Scott

Old 12-21-2023, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Yes been watching your trials. I'd like to be there to get in the way.
Come on down! Weather here has to be better than what you're experiencing this time of year; it was in the 70's a few days ago when we were working on the D7.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav8427 View Post
Seems like every young boy with a Tonka wants to grow up and have the real thing.
Sounds like your growin up.
Have fun playin in the dirt.
Your are correct, sir!

Old 12-21-2023, 09:29 PM

I love the smell of (Diesel) in the morning……..😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4730.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	625421  

Old 12-21-2023, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsTA View Post
I love the smell of (Diesel) in the morning……..😁
Smells like....victory....

Old 12-22-2023, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve got a 70s Ackerman H9 excavator hasn’t run in probably 10 years all overgrown maybe I’ll make a video of its first start up.

Just had to get a amz66xt man lift running that’s been. Sitting about the same amount of time. . Needed to cut some trees down with it.
Primed the fuel system fired right up. $2000 in hoses later I finally got the trees cut down. . Good news is the machine has almost all new hoses on. It now .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Smells like....victory....
Yes....you've lost your freaking mind.

And YES....I admire your sense of adventure!! Good luck!

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott, do you have any pain between your legs or backside? From your wife giving you one hell of a kick. Just askin because I've seen it happen because of lesser things bought. You are one brave feller.

Good luck, and I hope it starts the first time. Just so she doesn't have to tell you.... "I told you so!"

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
I’ve got a 70s Ackerman H9 excavator hasn’t run in probably 10 years all overgrown maybe I’ll make a video of its first start up.

Just had to get a amz66xt man lift running that’s been. Sitting about the same amount of time. . Needed to cut some trees down with it.
Primed the fuel system fired right up. $2000 in hoses later I finally got the trees cut down. . Good news is the machine has almost all new hoses on. It now .
Excavator start up sounds like fun! Are you anywhere near Texas? Need some help?

Old 12-22-2023, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Scott, do you have any pain between your legs or backside? From your wife giving you one hell of a kick. Just askin because I've seen it happen because of lesser things bought. You are one brave feller.

Good luck, and I hope it starts the first time. Just so she doesn't have to tell you.... "I told you so!"
Already got that covered! Been wrenching on it with my buddy Will. I tell the wife it's a dozer for Will; he tells his wife that it's a dozer for Scott! Good thing our wives don't know each other!

Old 12-23-2023, 05:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched your YouTube video ... haven't checked for the next installment ... will be watching it when it's posed.