Old 02-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet64 View Post
Part of my reason for starting this post was to address the situation we are in regarding Curtis' car. When the weather is good it will run under the 11.50 roll bar rule and Gainesville Raceway is an NHRA owned track so there is no bending of the rules. Hard to justify spending $35. or more, plus gas driving to and from the track just to get in one pass and be told you are done for the day. So we are once again considering putting in a roll bar that would allow us to run down to 10 flat. The actual goal will be mid 10s if it can be done within budget. The idea is to start with the stroker kit and see what that buys us and then consider other heads. This is not intended to be a max effort of any sort because this is a street car, but just to make the car quicker and 'justify' the addition of the roll bar. No point in putting the bar in if we are only looking for low 11s; might as well leave things as they are and forget the track. But we don't want to do that so here we are. Looking at some of the other combos on here that run in the mid 10s it seems we need about another 100hp to the real wheels to reach our goal. Our hope is to get there without breaking the bank. LOL
Been awhile since I’ve been up to Gainesville!

That 400 is running pretty darned good!

I’ll go against the grain and say that some added cubes could net you some marginal ET gains......Possibly enough to keep you under the bar rule no-matter the weather.

Yes, you may have to make some changes to accommodate the added torque and other engine characteristics.

Your tuning ability is already very good given your current combos performance, I would guess you would transfer that to a new combo without trouble to maximize its performance.

Could be a building block for your future goal of mid to lower 10’s

I am in the same boat so to speak......street car, to cage or not? Right this second I’m comfortable with what I have, very friendly on the street and somewhat respectable at the track....

Mike

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 02-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a rollbar in and swing for mid 10s instead of wondering if you will be kicked off the track running mid 11s..

Old 02-16-2020, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, it has been a while! I wish the old BPOC races were still going on. And your car is running very well. Not sure where this deal will go but it would be fun to have a Pontiac running in the 10s at our track where Fords and Chevys are a dime a dozen. Gary H. who has the 62 Lemans comes over from time to time and that is a good thing. Also, last test and tune he and a lot of the guys in their club brought over a number of GTOs and Firebirds. I have never seen that many at our track. It was a good time.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads,Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.72 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.

Last edited by prostreet64; 02-16-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
I would change intakes, to a t 11, and add a shot of nitrous. That can be hidden under the air cleaner if you are wanting a stock type look.
I agree with this 100%.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's nothing more disappointing then added and spending what motor changes it takes to add another 100 hp needed for your goals, yet have a chassis that can't apply it to the ground, be it street or track!

According to the info you posted on the car's performance, your current motor is only making 333 or so at the flywheel, so you have a bunch more power locked up there somewhere to release!

By my math if you where using all of that 250 Intake cfm that your heads have you should be making 348 hp at the flywheel, so your not even utilizing what you have now!

Some chassis dyno time would be the first thing I would spend hard earned money on and put the motor chew the fat / bench racing stuff aside for now.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
There's nothing more disappointing then added and spending what motor changes it takes to add another 100 hp needed for your goals, yet have a chassis that can't apply it to the ground, be it street or track!

According to the info you posted on the car's performance, your current motor is only making 333 or so at the flywheel, so you have a bunch more power locked up there somewhere to release!

By my math if you where using all of that 250 Intake cfm that your heads have you should be making 348 hp at the flywheel, so your not even utilizing what you have now!

Some chassis dyno time would be the first thing I would spend hard earned money on and put the motor chew the fat / bench racing stuff aside for now.
What on earth are you using to calculate horsepower???
118mph at 3800lbs is only 333hp according to your calculations?
Fwiw, Moroso slide rule shows 480hp

Old 02-17-2020, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah that math is very odd.