Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Took you awhile to figure that out Boss?

IT looks like BIll's got a helluva collection there.

MIke
Oh, come on Mike, You know I have that unique ability to overlook the obvious.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM

We all have that ability.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-10-2009, 05:39 PM

I have paint books back to 40's & 50's. Have owned autobody repair since 1968 & worked in body shop since 1965. The books I have (Dupont,RM,Acme,Sherwin Williams,Martin Senyour) all show the same chip & mixing formula for Hugger Orange & Carousel Red. Have not found a chip for Carnival red but will keep looking. I have 1969 Ram Air IV auto Judge nearly complete. It is Carousel Red. The chips match my Judge and the 1968 GTO. Checked package tray,kick panels & behind door panels. More & More to ponder. Bill

Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that's quite a collection of older cars. I wish you were closer.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Yeah, "The Boss" has it right. We are forgetting that GM often would get a number 1 interchanged with a letter capital I, & the reverse. So even though the GTO's Trim Tag was stamped with a 1, it really stands for an I. And I was Autumn Bronze, a late model year Special Exterior Color for both "F" & "A" bodies. He also correctly noticed the second 1 (I) after the 29. This would stand for an Ivory Cordova Top if a htp., or an Ivory-White soft top for a convert. I also see a note that any of these Special Exterior Colors ordered on a GTO would have required the option of a chrome front bumper, since the Endura bumpers were not offered in these S.O. colors.
The other late year S.O.colors were; Pink Mist, Carnival Red, Windward Blue & Marigold Yellow.
Now, the 29. Could that be a code denoting the neccessity of a chrome front bumper? A Build Sheet from a chrome bumper GTO might confirm that. Anyone have one to look at? Only a guess on this possibility.
Yeah, I is Autumn Bronze but the white convertible top is 1 (One). Since he has the numeral one in both spots, they would have had to stamp the body color wrong and the top color correctly at the same time.
The only difference between wase's tag and Bill's is the 29 between the ones.
I still think he may have a Carnival or Carousel car that's been repainted at some point.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry guys, I got confused by us talking about two different GTO's. AS YOU WERE!!!
I'll slink back over to the Firebird section now!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
I parted out a Carousel 68 GTO years ago, it had a chrome bumper... The car was very rough. I think I kept the cowl tag off of the car. Back then, I didn't care what the original options were. Assumed a repaint. I do remember it was a very late production car. I wonder...
Paul,
Do you have a picture of the cowl tag from your parted out '68 you could share?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Yeah, I is Autumn Bronze but the white convertible top is 1 (One). Since he has the numeral one in both spots, they would have had to stamp the body color wrong and the top color correctly at the same time.
The only difference between wase's tag and Bill's is the 29 between the ones.
I still think he may have a Carnival or Carousel car that's been repainted at some point.
Greg,
Autumn Bronze has been suggested as a possible color for my car before, I don't think mine was, but that would be a nice color on a '68,(imho) has anyone seen one of those?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stovall View Post
I have paint books back to 40's & 50's. Have owned autobody repair since 1968 & worked in body shop since 1965. The books I have (Dupont,RM,Acme,Sherwin Williams,Martin Senyour) all show the same chip & mixing formula for Hugger Orange & Carousel Red. Have not found a chip for Carnival red but will keep looking. I have 1969 Ram Air IV auto Judge nearly complete. It is Carousel Red. The chips match my Judge and the 1968 GTO. Checked package tray,kick panels & behind door panels. More & More to ponder. Bill
Bill,
I took the trunk lid off my car to a paint shop for them to check the color with a "spectrumchromatic scanner" (sounded like that). They checked the underside where the original paint was in good shape. They found no exact match, not Hugger Orange, not Carousel, or Carnival Red. They said the closest was Big Bad Orange from Chrysler, but still not exact. I took a bolt from the door hinge to a NAPA which has old books for Martin Senyour. I believe I found an exact match with 1956 Packard Naples Orange code "T", M-S # 61T-2491. Do you have any info on the '56 colors that you might be able to compare?

Last edited by wase; 03-11-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: more information added
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
I own an Endura delete car also. Only 2108 made.

Cool.
68gtoMN,
Yeah cool! lighter too. I used to think owners changed them, as Pontiac advertised the Endura and Hideaways as new innovations for the GTO, and chrome noses were seldom seen.

PHS P.S.B. 68-24 attached for those who may not have seen one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3309 027 50%.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	161424  

Last edited by wase; 03-11-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Wait - this is 2 cars we're talking about.

Wase - is your car a Convertible? Do you have the PHS?
Boss,
Yes 24267, rag top. Late '68 production 07B.
Does anyone know when Baltimore production switched over to '69 cars?
Thanks

PHS "BILLING HISTORY" Attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PHS pontiac 004 50% cut.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	161428  

Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
Bill, note the number in the upper right hand corner of your data plate--99539. The Carnival Red order number on the special order exterior colors sheet from the '68 dealer album is also 99539!

RPO code 674 was the Endura Bumper delete code number.

Does anyone have a '68 with a confirmed special-order color and endura bumper?

Anyone else have a Pontiac-built, special-order color '68 GTO with Endura delete? Does your data plate have the same info embossed in the upper rh corner?
gtoric,
You seem to have pieced the puzzle together on Bill's Carnival Red car!
On mine, in this area above the assembly plant and unit number, in the upper right corner, it is embossed 213050 and in the far upper right corner 2
Mine is Baltimore build, Endura delete

Attached are pictures of the trim tag, and the door jamb showing original paint.

Sorry about the fuzzy tag pic, I'll try to get a better one soon.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30609 006 50%.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	161431   Click image for larger version

Name:	30609 004 30%.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	161432  

Last edited by wase; 03-11-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
Bill, note the number in the upper right hand corner of your data plate--99539. The Carnival Red order number on the special order exterior colors sheet from the '68 dealer album is also 99539!

RPO code 674 was the Endura Bumper delete code number.

Does anyone have a '68 with a confirmed special-order color and endura bumper?

Anyone else have a Pontiac-built, special-order color '68 GTO with Endura delete? Does your data plate have the same info embossed in the upper rh corner?
Eric-

Mine is a Q-Q color endura delete built in Pontiac, including a picture of the data plate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Data plate_chrome nose_small.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	161468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome Nose car 2007_small.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	161477  

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)

Last edited by 68gtoMN; 03-12-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wase, your PHS has solved the mystery. Your Billing History shows very clearly in the color block "1 1" ...Just like Bill's. That confirms in my mind at least, the special color Carnival/Carousel Red with a white top.
They may have a difficult time matching 41 year old paint with the spectro-whatchumacallit but it's Caurousel Red just like the '69 Judges.
Congratulations, you have a very special car!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase View Post
gtoric,
You seem to have pieced the puzzle together on Bill's Carnival Red car!
On mine, in this area above the assembly plant and unit number, in the upper right corner, it is embossed 213050 and in the far upper right corner 2
Mine is Baltimore build, Endura delete

Attached are pictures of the trim tag, and the door jamb showing original paint.

Sorry about the fuzzy tag pic, I'll try to get a better one soon.
Thanks!
Unfortunately, Bill's Pontiac Fisher tag is the first one that I have run across that has yielded a special-order color code, and the Pontiac Fisher plant may be the only one that used that particular code method.

The Fisher data tag would not indicate the installation of Endura or chrome front bumper since the Fisher plant was not affected by the bumper content.

Bill, your tag info does not match up to any of the four special-order Pontiac colors for '68. For those of you wondering what the other three codes are, here are all four for you to ponder:
Pink Mist 868-99466
Carnival Red 868-99539
Windward Blue 927-99576
Marigold Yellow L67YD003

Comparing the color chips of Carnival Red and Carousel Red, they are not the same. Carnival Red is slightly redder than Carousel Red.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
wase, your PHS has solved the mystery. Your Billing History shows very clearly in the color block "1 1" ...Just like Bill's. That confirms in my mind at least, the special color Carnival/Carousel Red with a white top.
They may have a difficult time matching 41 year old paint with the spectro-whatchumacallit but it's Caurousel Red just like the '69 Judges.
Congratulations, you have a very special car!
Greg,
Sorry, I'm still not completely convinced my car is Carnival. Bill's car, with the special order paint code, 99539, stamped on the trim tag is convincing in that case.
My car, with the number 213050 2 embossed in that area causes me to hope for more information on that particular number.
I wonder if there are more special paint car owners that might share a picture or information about what their cars have stamped, or not, in that area of the trim tag. Any orange, pink, yellow, or blue ones? Baltimore build or others?
Thanks

Last edited by wase; 03-13-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase View Post
Greg,
Sorry, I'm still not completely convinced my car is Carnival. Bill's car, with the special order paint code, 99539, stamped on the trim tag is convincing in that case.
My car, with the number 213050 2 embossed in that area causes me to hope for more information on that particular number.
I wonder if there are more special paint car owners that might share a picture or information about what their cars have stamped, or not, in that area of the trim tag. Any orange, pink, yellow, or blue ones? Baltimore build or others?
Thanks
To me, the 1 1 code on the PHS docs in addition to the fact that you found the original paint remnants behind the door panels and the fact that it's an endura delete car combine to make a convincing case for it being Carnival.
What are the chances that you would have a special paint car that was repainted a different special color?
I believe that very few cars will have that special paint code stamped like Bill's car does. I think his car is an exception rather than the rule in that case. (See gtoric's post above stating that Bill's is the first he's ever seen)
You may never find out what that 213050 2 means.
I think just about anyone here will tell you that different plants stamped different codes on many cars that have never been deciphered and probably never will be.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For those interested, here is a scan of the Special Order colors page from the 1968 Pontiac dealer's album.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM

I've attached a much better picture of my trim tag, more clearly showing all the numbers in question.

Last edited by wase; 03-13-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Thanks for all of the information. Never had seen those color samples before thanks gtoric. I did a little more checking today with my paint suppliers. Ask them to check on mixing formula on 1968 Carnival Red & 1969 Carousel Red. Late this afternoon I was told these two colors had the same mixing formula for Dupont & BASF. The colors may not have been excally the same when new but if you order paint from one of these suppliers today you will get the same color. This would lead me to believe only the name was changed from 1968 to 1969. What do you think? Thanks BILL