Old 07-25-2022, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
527ci is the biggest LS I've heard of, but Phonsy and his crew don't do too many - they're really a competition boat engine, though they did have one in a VF Commodore (Chevy SS) demo car for a while just to stir up some interest. We also featured that car in the magazine I write for but I can't find the feature online...

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...-as-you-can-go
They are building big ci lsx engines but no need with boost.. it's such an efficient engine and durable..
Like I showed..they are running 5.80's with 440ci... something the Pontiac can't do...

Old 07-26-2022, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Man, my 6.2 is already a beast so I could only imaging a 8.2 on the road! (4.165” x 4.600”)

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 07-27-2022, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
They are building big ci lsx engines but no need with boost.. it's such an efficient engine and durable..
Like I showed..they are running 5.80's with 440ci... something the Pontiac can't do...
We also have multiple 3500lb street cars (full interior, registered, regularly driven on the street) with turbo LS combos running 7.30s-7.50s at 180-190mph on 275 radials.

I think the widespread use of the LS across so many brands and platforms really helped drive development of aftermarket parts compared to the much narrower focus of the Pontiac engine (one brand, older tech needing much more upgrading). In all-out drag cars down here in Australia we're seeing LS engines be replaced by hybrid designs like the Noonan Hemi-headed LS and the like as people chase ever more horsepower.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
We also have multiple 3500lb street cars (full interior, registered, regularly driven on the street) with turbo LS combos running 7.30s-7.50s at 180-190mph on 275 radials.

I think the widespread use of the LS across so many platforms really helped drive development of aftermarket parts compared to the much narrower focus of the Pontiac engine (one brand, older tech needing much more upgrading). In all-out drag cars down here in Australia we're seeing LS engines be replaced by hybrid designs like the Noonan Hemi-headed LS and the like as people chase ever more horsepower.

Absolutely.. GM pulled the plug on Pontiac forged part and go fast stuff in the early/mid 60's... they decided Chevrolet was their bread and butter and Pontiac was winning at the track.. roundy round and straight line and they couldn't have that happen..
It's only natural that the LS would accel due to history and corporate backing..
The only reason Pontiac is as fast as is today is due to a handful of racers like Langer, Tony/Billy, little Jack, Eric and crew, and the list goes on.. pushing the envelope and paying out of pocket to develop parts needed... it certainly wasn't because parts were available like they are for the LS!
I do however know it's ( the LS) a superior design... everything about it from oiling to heads to block design and material...
On a side note, in my opinion, ford answered the LS with the Coyote engine... it's a tight race between those 2... LS has had more time to develop but the Coyote is right there with it in half the development time.. all my opinion of course

Old 08-03-2022, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coyote is not much use if it does not fit in to older cars.

The 7.3 however...

Old 08-03-2022, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Coyote is not much use if it does not fit in to older cars.

The 7.3 however...
It fits... guy at work has a 95 f150 with one in it.. all in what u want to put into it
Regardless, your statement does t negate the power it produces and is capable of...
How do u figure it doesn't "fit" in the older cars?

Old 08-04-2022, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ah.

So you are saying Coyotes will fit in a vintage Mustang? Cougar? Fairlane?

They don't, especially anything with shock towers vvvv

Old 08-04-2022, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

...it IS possible.

but I would go LS3/LT1/L84 or Godzilla, 7.3 liters for $8k

Old 08-04-2022, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen quite a few coyote swaps in classic cars the last 5-6 years, they've been gaining in popularity. In a few more years it'll be as common as the LS is today, something I'm kind of sick of seeing anymore though.

Pretty common to also see the Ford Mustang, Falcon, Comet platforms with shock towers removed for more room while at the same time converting to a more modern rack and pinion/coil over setup, That's been done for decades long before the Coyote engine was invented. Usually done to get rid of the antiquated setup that was sometimes problematic and weak, and does a nice job of cleaning up the engine bay.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Quote:
ah.

So you are saying Coyotes will fit in a vintage Mustang? Cougar? Fairlane?

They don't, especially anything with shock towers vvvv

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying... as stated above, it's very common to do away with strut towers.. several companies make front suspension for said swap...

Old 08-07-2022, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Removing the shock towers and changing the suspension is no small task and irreversible sheet metal work is a no-go for some.

I know in the Fox Mustang community turbo LS swaps are quite common as the 5.0 has hit it's power limits for budget builds. The Godzilla motor was made specifically as a Ford alternative to the LS fitment wise.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coyote swaps in the Fox mustang have now become common place. In fact they offer the kits to get it done, and they even have a racing class specifically for this, which is dominated by fox bodies.

https://youtu.be/9Y8gK9TT9Ro

Yes it's been pretty common to remove the shock towers for many years now in the older stuff. Shock Tower Delete is the common reference that's thrown around in the Ford communities, and kits are made to get the job done. This stuff was being done long before Coyotes were even born.

https://www.classicperform.com/Instr...tEndinstrc.pdf

Old 08-07-2022, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Deletion of the shock towers is a task beyond most hobbyists.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Agree!

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 08-07-2022, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Then those that can't hire someone who can, that's what fab shops and restoration shops do for a living.

Difficult to find relevance in that point, lets be honest, probably 90% of classic car owners can't even get in depth tuning a car, certainly can't paint one, or rebuild a transmission or rearend. Let alone shock tower delete, lol. It's just another box to check off that list. Most peoples skill set is pretty limited either by funds, tools, or not even having a place to work on it. I'm not complaining, it certainly keeps me busy. Just pointing out their is a vast majority of car owners that don't even work on their own stuff.

Last edited by Formulajones; 08-07-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Nor is a basic LS swap into a classic car.. the discussion was based off your statement of the Coyote being useless if it doesn't fit..not how easy it is... it fits and is becoming popular..

Old 08-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your point is valid, but the LS/LT series engines eliminate this issue.

IF the TCI setup is M2 based I wonder how much better if at all it is vs the factory Ford shock tower setup...

Old 08-08-2022, 06:17 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Your point is valid, but the LS/LT series engines eliminate this issue.

IF the TCI setup is M2 based I wonder how much better if at all it is vs the factory Ford shock tower setup...
I don't disagree the LS is much more "size" friendly when it comes to installing in pretty much anything.