THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-10-2024, 08:16 AM

Well, my last day will be Monday July 1st. I am 62 and 43 years with the same utility company been a good ride. Our company had a buyout, and I took it!! Can't wait to do I want and work on my Pontiacs.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MH 1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2024, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Every day is a Saturday!

George

Old 06-10-2024, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Everyday is the same, you don’t know or care what day it is lol

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2024, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I retired 2/15/24. It was my 31st anniversary with the company. It's like living in a dream world! Best of luck to you! Enjoy!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2024, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

My last day of employment was May 31. At 71 I figured it was about time.

It's been a week of retirement so far, ain't bored yet.

God knows where I'm goin' to, but me... I don't care."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2024, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardk View Post

Nice!

Everyone was telling me that, "I better have a plan", etc. I was gonna get bored, depressed. I told them that ain't me! I still feel like I don't get enough done. My lists are as long as ever. HA! I just don't get to go to work to rest up anymore. LOL!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2024, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, ,IMHO, retirement is not great for us mentally OR physically. I retired once after 20 years underground. Then got bored and spent 19 more years with Toyota. Retired again and got bored. Spent the last 10 years doing contract work for a regional convenience store chain. Still have time to push mow the yard twice a week, wash the cars twice a week. Those honey doo lists don't take long to knock out when you have 8-10 hours a day to work on them. To each. his own, I guess!!!!!

"Bill"!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2024, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One can make a list, but might get done tomorrow, LOL. Tomorrow may not come. Been almost a year since doing this and have NO regret's. Not sure how I did everything before. I guess it was just a little later than it is done now. More car stuff done now earlier. Seems we don't drive as much as when working and get to use that to put fuel in The 64. Yard looks a lot nicer than it has ever since buying the place 1989, so ya doing lots of yard work. But as we get older we have to look after Parents, or Family members more, may it be Cousin, Uncles Or other, but spending more time with Family is important as we only have that time once. Hey Bill what did you do at Toyota, was a Dealer Tech for 30 plus years.

Old 06-10-2024, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Practiced pre-retirement by working pt-remote just before covid. Well, went back to full time, yet remote. Retirement living is meant to be work on home, at home, and from home. Everyting in moderation.

Old 06-10-2024, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lemans64, I worked in an assembly plant in Princeton, Indiana, a robots and machine automation tech. If the plant was 60 miles closer, I would still be there!! Cars and trucks are fantastic..

"Bill"!

Old 06-10-2024, 10:55 PM

Congrats!! I retired a few years ago at 60 in 2014...wait...what!?!?!? No way it's almost 10 yrs! Do WHAT you want, WHEN you want, it goes by faster every year!

Old 06-10-2024, 11:47 PM

Finished my application for SS today, haven't worked since end of March...

Old 06-11-2024, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
Lemans64, I worked in an assembly plant in Princeton, Indiana, a robots and machine automation tech. If the plant was 60 miles closer, I would still be there!! Cars and trucks are fantastic..

"Bill"!
Would probably still be at the Dealership if warranty paid better. LOL. Had enough of the Flat rate system. Other Tech's hiding from the Bad jobs and nobody in management wanted to do anything about it. Now on my own time. Loving it. Still busy, not sure how I went to work and dealth with all the other crap.

Old 06-11-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardk View Post

Congratulations Richard, you will love it! I retired totally last July, never a bored day, problem is, time is going by so fast it is starting to get scary!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis H. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Would probably still be at the Dealership if warranty paid better. LOL. Had enough of the Flat rate system. Other Tech's hiding from the Bad jobs and nobody in management wanted to do anything about it. Now on my own time. Loving it. Still busy, not sure how I went to work and dealth with all the other crap.
Was a FR tech since1977. at 67 just took a hourly job, wow what a change! Retirement at 70 for me hopefully. Lemans64 congrats and enjoy

TOM
Old 06-11-2024, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine was retiring on a Friday, years ago. He said he was wondering what Monday was going to be like. Report from him later was "no problem!"

George

Old 06-11-2024, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

I turned 62 in February and originally thought I would quit in December of last year, but my boss asked me to stay on at 20 hrs with medical insurance provided. Then thought I would work through March. Well, March came and went and I am still working, but now eyeing July as a possible retirement point. Cobra or insurance on the open market is a huge dent in the budget and you could buy a very decent Pontiac every other year with the money spent for a married couple. Never really minded the work all that much, but the stupid day to day stuff coming down from the top is just maddening. I see people working for a single employer for 25, 30, or more years, but things have changed, and I now find employers are not loyal to employees, so why be the loyal employee?

I will toss out an observation - ever heard the phrase "go-go years, slow-go years, and no-go years"? Provided you can swing it, dont wait so long that you find yourself in the slow-go, or God forbid, the no-go situations. My folks are entering the no-go. I found hiking at a mile above sea level and being 50 lbs overweight a good reminder to maximize the go-go years.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good advice there relic! True, health insurance, in my mind, is the biggest driver of retirement dates. In my case I kept working until at least my wife, who is younger, was eligible for Medicare.

Medicare , for us, has not been a serious issue except for drug costs. My wife has a tier 5 drug, Enbrel, which is costly. Coverage thru my past employer was a lot better in that regard.

Something to consider.

George

Old 06-11-2024, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have lived by, and told others for years, No matter how long you work for a company and how good friendships you have there, at the end you are JUST A NUMBER!!! I have been very lucky with the places I have worked. My saying is "make your vocation a vacation and you will always be on vacation"!!!!! And I have passed that along for many years.

"Bill"!

Old 06-11-2024, 02:59 PM
Senior Chief

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.

I have no advice other than to Enjoy The Hell Out Of It!!!

Except for a couple of very short stints (less than 6 months each) I have owned my own business for 42 years. I am not sure if I will ever completely retire, but my wife works for the Feds & when she retires in probably 2 years, I will cut back quite a bit. I just turned 62 a couple of days ago, but I still love what I do, so no urgency to stop.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421+
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster