Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-04-2023, 06:28 AM

I have tried everything I can so far with no success. The yellow glaze in the cylinders is still there and still chugs oil after the seafoam and ac delco top engine cleaner. My final attempt before I take it all apart is the old Bon Ami trick. I figure its worth a shot. Here is a thread here on the subject and searching the web has many other examples.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...=574076&page=4

Old 12-04-2023, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not do that unless you where running chrome face rings, if the rings are a plasma face now you will ruin them and then need to pull the motor down anyway.

Bite the bullet and do it the right way.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-04-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I would not do that unless you where running chrome face rings, if the rings are a plasma face now you will ruin them and then need to pull the motor down anyway.

Bite the bullet and do it the right way.
You think these plasma moly rings in there now could be reused after I take it apart and re hone as it sits?

Old 12-04-2023, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would recommend replacing the piston rings with a fresh hone job. I realize it's a couple hundred extra bucks to do that. But you want this to be the last time it's apart. It's one more variable to remove. IMO, you want a channel molly top ring, not just a plasma molly sprayed ring. If you look at the top ring, it should look like an Oreo cookie. Darker top and bottom with a distinct center area a more silver molly color. This is the design where the face is laser cut and Molly material is deposited in the channel. Sealed Power, (Speed Pro) and Total Seal offer these premium rings. Other brands as well. Plasma sprayed rings wear off rather quickly and your back to base cast iron. Especially on a rough hone job. Buy good rings.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I would recommend replacing the piston rings with a fresh hone job. I realize it's a couple hundred extra bucks to do that. But you want this to be the last time it's apart. It's one more variable to remove. IMO, you want a channel molly top ring, not just a plasma molly sprayed ring. If you look at the top ring, it should look like an Oreo cookie. Darker top and bottom with a distinct center area a more silver molly color. This is the design where the face is laser cut and Molly material is deposited in the channel. Sealed Power, (Speed Pro) and Total Seal offer these premium rings. Other brands as well. Plasma sprayed rings wear off rather quickly and your back to base cast iron. Especially on a rough hone job. Buy good rings.
When you say hone job do you mean like in my garage with a drill motor and a dingleberry hone? Or send it out to a machine shop.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectramitch View Post
You think these plasma moly rings in there now could be reused after I take it apart and re hone as it sits?
No, It's WAY too much work to chance using the same rings again. But new quality rings, I prefer Total Seal myself, and then have the block hones again at the machine shop. Let them know what rings you went with, so they hone it to the finish needed for the rings.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 12-05-2023, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectramitch View Post
When you say hone job do you mean like in my garage with a drill motor and a dingleberry hone? Or send it out to a machine shop.
I am not sure what you had in mind for your repair. Of course the best repair is a torque plate final hone. But if you just had this engine honed in a shop and want to de-glaze with a ball hone and reassemble, I am personally OK with that. Ball hones come in various grit counts from 120 grit to around 320. For Molly rings a ball hone with 280-320 grit is what I would recommend.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:50 PM

I think they are glazed. The bore scope definitely made everything look worse. These walls are very smooth. I still need to look at the ring orientation.

Old 12-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even if you can hardly feel any of those vertical scratches that are showing up on the cylinder walls, they are certainly not helping with oil control, and they will also stop the rings from rotating as they need to.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you take the pistons out, double check the way the rings were installed. Especially the second ring. I see you are gas ported with vertical holes. This is one of the reasons I personally don't use that style piston. They do tend to allow some oil into the combustion chamber if the second ring is not a secondary scraper style. They also require a very round cylinder as the rings have a difficult time dealing with an out-of round situation. The second ring should have a little step on the OD of the ring facing down to act as a secondary scraper. This should help. You might want to make a call to Total Seal and talk to them. Describe the situation and that you have the engine down for a second time to try and seal it up. See what they say about ring selection and their recommendation.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:07 AM

I just got my block and pistons back from the machine shop. The checked it out and said the finish of the bores were rough. They re-honed it and got me new moly top piston rings with a napier second ring. Their bore finish is a lot smoother than what I started out with.

Its still hard to say what actually happened. I think a possibility is the rocker studs were leaking and it just put too much oil into the cylinders to cause the glazing?

I guess we will see what happens this time around!

Old 03-22-2024, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I see gas ported Pistons I think of light tension rings that need cylinder pressure ( a good amount of throttle open ) to seal up well.

What tension rings where in this motor before this last rebuild?

Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 AM

They were just total seal 1/16" classic race rings so I do not believe they were low tension.