Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM

what type of power steering pump is that?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty70Bird View Post
what type of power steering pump is that?
Looks like a Ford Air Pump used as a Crankcase Vacuum Scavenge Pump to me.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Suspended

It is a Ford air pump. Works pretty good and it was cheap. I just got my headers back from the welder, and I'm expecting my turbo to arrive tomorrow. It's been a long wait on those two! Lol. I'll put some pictures of my turbo up when it gets here. I'm also going to get back to work on my plumbing this weekend.
I've been working on the suspension in the mean time. I'm changing the subframe, all four springs and shocks, installing solid frame bushings, and welding the subframe connectors in. Thinking about welding some braces in to tie the roll bar into the frame rails better. I was spinning before anyway, and with nitrous it was bad. Can only imagine what it would be like with the turbo.
Hope to have some progress pictures soon.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Work is slowing down for the winter, so I've had some time to get more work done. This summer I replaced the frame with a better one that my buddy fully welded, all four shocks and springs, and almost have the whole bottom of the car cleaned and painted. I've got the turbo mount and merge pipe nearly finished, and my turbo is all rebuilt and sitting on the shelf. This is just a mock up turbo. I may be able to get my wastegate this week. After I get that mounted, it's pretty much just the down pipe that's left to do. Still have alot of grinding and stuff to do, but I wanted to put up some pics since it's been a long time.

Last edited by meanone; 01-08-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Suspended

A couple pictures of the mount.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Chief

looks good does it all fit in your 2nd gen engine bay? I was looking at my 79 today and their is no room as i want to keep the inner fenders in place.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM

I like it! Nice pictures, keep us updated on your progress.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking real good. What are your plans on core support/radiator?

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Suspended

Thanks everybody. It fits in there well as I built everything but the crossover pipe in the car, but I also do not have power steering, power brakes, heater box, or wheel wells. It's gonna have a 5" downpipe that's going to run between the pass. header and the fender so there's no way to keep wheel wells.

Thanks Bankbook, your car and 69GTO [ black turbo GTO ] got me motivated again. I'm going to move the radiator 4 or 5 inches forward. I removed the front bumper a while ago so there is some room up there. I'm thinking about making a light weight tube frame to hold the radiator, and having a 3" or so bar bent to go from frame to frame to hang it from. Or, I may cut up the core support that's in it.

When I built the headers, I built merge bullets in the collectors and clocked the tubes in the firing order. I went counter clockwise because that was easiest. Did you clock yours Bankbook, or do you guys think that it matters that much?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No clocking here. Interesting thoughts but i dont think it matters.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Both 4 speeds!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post
No clocking here. Interesting thoughts but i dont think it matters.
X2

On a v8 unless you came up with a 180 deg pipe order by combining pipes from the opposite bank or use a single collector with 8 primary pipes, there is no benefit to be found there due to uneven firing on each bank. With even pulses like a 4 or 6 cylinder, gains from clocking are usually minimal if gains are even found.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keep the pics coming, love to see more and more turbo builds!!

Kris.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SIZE WATEGATE AND BOV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanone View Post
Work is slowing down for the winter, so I've had some time to get more work done. This summer I replaced the frame with a better one that my buddy fully welded, all four shocks and springs, and almost have the whole bottom of the car cleaned and painted. I've got the turbo mount and merge pipe nearly finished, and my turbo is all rebuilt and sitting on the shelf. This is just a mock up turbo. I may be able to get my wastegate this week. After I get that mounted, it's pretty much just the down pipe that's left to do. Still have alot of grinding and stuff to do, but I wanted to put up some pics since it's been a long time.
WHAT SIZE IS YOUR TURBO AND SIZE OF THE WASTEGATE AND BLOWOFFVALVE THAT ARE YOU ARE PLANNING TO USED? NICE BUILT MAN..LOVE THEM TURBOS...

Old 11-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Thanks, I've got an 88mm Garrett. Reed at Supernatural Turbo built it for me. He's a really cool guy with very good service! I'll take some pictures of it, and put it up on here in awhile. I'm buying a Tial 60mm wastegate from him also. Probably gonna go with an 50mm blowoff valve. I talked to Kevin at CSU about running the Dominator that I have on there now. He said if it's working good now it will work under boost. Anybody here ever blew through a Dominator at this power level? My goal for now is 800rwhp. I know that an 850 would be fine, I just want to run the Dom. because I have it already and it's already modified. Only have to boost reference the power valve.I also like that the shafts are already sealed. May be lazy at slow speeds with the tall gears and 1050?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanone View Post
Thanks, I've got an 88mm Garrett. Reed at Supernatural Turbo built it for me. He's a really cool guy with very good service! I'll take some pictures of it, and put it up on here in awhile. I'm buying a Tial 60mm wastegate from him also. Probably gonna go with an 50mm blowoff valve. I talked to Kevin at CSU about running the Dominator that I have on there now. He said if it's working good now it will work under boost. Anybody here ever blew through a Dominator at this power level? My goal for now is 800rwhp. I know that an 850 would be fine, I just want to run the Dom. because I have it already and it's already modified. Only have to boost reference the power valve.I also like that the shafts are already sealed. May be lazy at slow speeds with the tall gears and 1050?
reed at supernatural is awesome to work with he built my 91 mm . and my big heavy car flies. also kevin at csu is a world of help . he built my 850 for e85 blowthru and it works mint. he is also willing to talk over the phone and help figure out any issues you may have . sounds like you are on the right track

67 LE MANS in pieces...
68 gto
84 grand prix twin turbo 496 pontiac 25.3 cage
Old 08-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Suspended

I finally gathered up all my parts, and have started to get somewhere on my build. It's been a long time, but here are some pictures of my progress.

The engine is a 469" . Compression is 9.35:1. Heads flow 308@.600. Cammotion cam 258-250@.050 on a 114. CSU 850 with a EV Pro hat. Tial 60mm wastegate. Tial 50mm bov. Snow Performance methanol injection.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Suspended

A couple of the engine...

Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Suspended

I still have to do all the plumbing, wiring, fans, build the exhaust under the car, and clean the core support up. Still kind of a lot to do, but I thought that I would share what I have done on my build.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good!

Looks like most of the hard part is done.
The rest should be a piece of cake.

What year of Bird is the car?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good. I like the way you mounted the radiator up front.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Both 4 speeds!