Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's no joke, I bet Travis Quillen saved me 5 grand today in advice and parts. Seriously!

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The e.t. Possibilities of this combo are staggering, not to mention extremely streetable.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After selling all my stuff, I have realized that nitrous (the way I do it) wasn't really any cheaper than turbo. Just 500 dollars at a time instead of one big hit. I should have done this a long time ago. The engine is ALOT cheaper to build, and once you factor in 2 foggers at 1700 a piece, 8 bottles, bottle bath, 250 jets at 8 dollars a piece, a drum of spark plugs, c23 fuel at 900 a drum, a mother bottle and refill station, all the data logger **** and high dollar carb, and nitrous controllers, it's really close to the same money in the long run and seems to a bit more reliable and definately more streetable. And the one big thing, WAY MORE POWER hahahaha

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

good luck, you've got some of the best helping you. if you get a chance to take a welding course it will help quite a bit. it's nice to know a little of what you're doing before buying a piece of equipment. you'll want to do some thinking on what kind of power you need in the shop for the size welder you buy. my 175 amp tig works fine on 50 amps @ 220v at home, the 300 amp capable miller at work wants 100 amps when maxed out. can't wait to see it come together.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a plan is coming together. Best of luck.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
The e.t. Possibilities of this combo are staggering, not to mention extremely streetable.
I gotta admit that I love the way a twin turbo car sounds at launch. Ever hear the sound of a fully automatic assualt shotgun? That's what I hear.

This build ought to be pretty bad ass. Especially if you are gunning for 2500 HP.
A M1-A2 tank only has 1500 HP to put things into perspective

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep your dual purpose focus in mind at all times and choose the pieces accordingly. You can meet/exceed both of your goals. And I'm relatively certain at a cost you can live with after its built. I've played with N2O a little bit but that running out thing just bugs me. When I want power I want it right then not crap about do I have enough on board.

My own build the biggest concern for dual purpose, is I'd prefer not to run a spool. Thinking of investigating beyond the drag racers world and looking at some of the jumbo 4x4 stuff to see if there is something there as a spool alternative. Probably is, and big and heavy too. But, hey its a turbo, turn up the boost.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love a spool on the street. Hell my wife's Chevelle has a spool!!! I am installing a cdplayer though hahaha

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont like gettin caught in rain with one. Besides I would really drive from TN to Norwalk and race it.(dont know how the tires would hold up running a spool that far) Goal sub 9s and 12-15 mpg+ keep the AC and power stuff. My 84 GP is a nice driver I want to retain as much of that as I can.

Building a 428 from a 59 389 block presently doing radical surgery on a set of 6x's. Semi-wide ported and cutting exhaust and head radically to create w8 mopar style exhaust exit.(upwards) No longer have pushrod pinch in intake port. Its a straight shot now.(.150 offset pushrod hole lifter and rocker) Striving for head with good flow for planned ci/rpm with high ex percentages. They will get some time at Mondellos soon for some preliminary testing. So far just my time invested in the heads.

AC compressor will also be keeping a/w intercooler tank cool . Probably make my own intake with a/w cooler within etc.. Trying to keep most fab work etc done by me but I'm going to have help here and there. (I tend to be a diehard do it myself guy) Likely MSIII efi. But could build dual quad blow through(thermoquads maybe is tempting challenge seeing I have a matched pair) to be different.

Tom V and Travis have provided valuable insight over the years and answered questions for me. (many I didnt even ask but gave me clues or ideas through their responses to others) Thanks btw!

Just going to take me longer than I'd like to get this done. Like many my economy aint what it used to be.

A few pics of the intake side.(not done obviously)I havent touched the exhaust yet. That will need some precise machinery I dont have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00007.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	263702   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	263703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	263704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00010.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	263705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00011.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	263706  

Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any thoughts on the forged cranks instead of the billet for 2500hp?

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough to say really. I wouldnt. But wasnt it vin63 who was running a 400 cast crank on nitro to around 1600 hp?(455 crank didnt go but a few feet first attempt) quite a few guys near 8-900 on cast 455 cranks.(a few reportedly over 1000) I seem to recall Brad Spidel (rip) put 1200 through an old armasteel crank for awhile.

RPM and recip weight seem bigger factors than just HP alone for strength.

Shootin for 2500 though, I'd be callin Moldex for answers. By rights if forged right with right clean material it might be better than billet. Dont think theres anything like that available though.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nevermind. Travis Q gave me the veto on that deal. He says billet. Looks like I'm in the market for a billet 4.25 stroke crank.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congratulations on making the switch.. with wideports and twin 88's your going to make awesome power. Keep us posted!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, crower billet 4.250 crank on the way, thanks to Jim Thompson!!!!

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a great start. If your competitors feared your N2O combo they really will have reasons to beware of Pontiacs with a turbo.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
Nevermind. Travis Q gave me the veto on that deal. He says billet. Looks like I'm in the market for a billet 4.25 stroke crank.
May I ask why? Several of the NMRA SSO guys were running forged cranks, but the reasoning was due to have to wait on a billet to be made instead of being able to have a new forged crank at your door in a couple of business days during the season.

Sounds like a bad ass project.

I know a guy with a bad ass largeframe 85mm for sale, not the precision large frame with the wheel of death, I want to convert over so bad I can't stand it, lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He said it would be possible in a race only deal and may make it without issue at a lower boost level, but at 30-40lbs or maybe more, it aint gonna work. Especially since I plan on putting ALOT of street miles on this deal. I am hoping to have a very reliable very fast car, so I'm looking at the crankshaft as "insurance".

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All Pontiac engine plate and header flanges on the way, along with all the bends and tubing for headers.

Update on cylinder heads. To save time and money, and future aggravation Quillen and butler have decided that we would be better off with a 350ish cfm edelbrock head rather than the wide port head. This also keep all my valvetrain parts "off the shelf" and less expensive, and a bit more stable considering the street miles.

Stainless intake valves
Inconnel exhaust valves

This saved a ton of money on the project. And I doubt any power level decreases are gonna be missed.

Lots of pics coming as soon as mock up starts in a week or two.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

EHTTFMF!!!!!!!

going to bo fun to watch this build!!!

thinking of doing the same one day!!!

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, with twin 88's, it probably won't matter one bit. You'll still be able to make stupid horsepower.

Looking forward to those pics.