Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good. Lots of work converting to a blown set up huh ?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupergasDil View Post
.....Lots of work converting to a blown set up huh ?
It is a lot of work, but I really enjoy it. I'm learning a lot. I enjoy the building as much as I do the driving. At my age, you'd better---you never know how much time you have left............ I did just get my NHRA license renewed for two more years, though. But, then, the chassis is due for a re-cert in March (the car's--not mine).

Jim

Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn Jim. You're doing a great job. Vin63 does do nice work. It's great that it's all coming together. I just wish Speedworld would get back in operation, I'd like to see you and your wife there again, and the car run again. Steve is hoping to get into Firebird for his events now, but costs may be an issue if the new operators and Steve can't reach an agreement. Looks like I'll have to come down to SIR sometime to watch you. Are you ready to to buy twin safety diapers?? One on the engine and one for you?? Heh. Mark L

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
......Are you ready to to buy twin safety diapers?? One on the engine and one for you?? Heh. Mark L
That all Depends.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
That all Depends.

Jim
that all "depends"

ha ha he he....................................

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve. At my age dat ain't funny know moore!! LOL. Mark

Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think someone just had a rectal moment!! LOL!

POCI.org
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It is a lot of work, but I really enjoy it. I'm learning a lot. I enjoy the building as much as I do the driving. At my age, you'd better---you never know how much time you have left............ I did just get my NHRA license renewed for two more years, though. But, then, the chassis is due for a re-cert in March (the car's--not mine).

Jim
That describes my deal to Jim. I enjoy the work. Just hard to find energy sometimes.
I getting a car ready for certification and I haven't even got my physical yet much less the lincense.
Looking good. Keep it going.
How 's other project going ?
Troy

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
How 's other project going ?
Troy
I'm ready to cover my Bondo work with two-part epoxy primer and then add two coats of two-part sanding primer. So, I'm closer on the bodywork, but not there yet. The place that's doing our door panels is running way behind--still waiting on those. Plus, it's been too cold to paint here for a while (yeah, I know, "poor baby!"). It's supposed to get up to the 60's early next week. Cooler than I'd like, but I'll paint anyway. I missed some nice warm weather a week or so ago, doing stuff around the house instead.

Jim

Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Jim, did you frolich in the snow the other day???? Mark

Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in Tucson and back on the Tempest blower conversion for a while. I'm getting ready to pull the old engine, but as a fun break yesterday I installed the Racepak Sportsman box. That's the first step in a series of steps to get it up and running and then figure out how to use it. Because the box has built in front-and-back and side-to-side G--meters, it has to be mounted flat and oriented a certain way to get accurate readings. It also has to be at least 18" from electronic ignition components, so I mounted it on the driver's side, right below the door bar. From there, I can run the wiring through the channel that Pontiac conveniently provided in the Tempest body--forward to the firewall area and back to the rear end. The box uses either a direct computer hook-up or an SD card to transfer info into a laptop, so it has to be mounted where it has easy access.

I got the car up on jackstands yesterday and measured the pinion flange and discovered the driveshaft sensor collar that came with the Racepak was the correct size for my Strange nine-inch rearend. That was a bit of luck. I bought the box on eBay, new and uninstalled, but I took a chance the pickup collar would fit without exchanging it and I'm glad it did. That's the next step: install the driveshaft sensor and wire it up.

The Racepak Sportsman comes with several functions built in: engine RPM, driveshaft speed, G-meters and the graphing software. I plan to add sensors for boost pressure, oil pressure and fuel pressure as a minimum. Before I decided to add a data recorder, I bought a used Red Alert system to measure all eight cylinders EGT's for tuning purposes. It's a stand-alone unit, but I plan to check to see if the data is compatible with the Racepak and can be added directly. There is a provision built into the Racepak to monitor eight EGT's. I just have to determine if I can combine the two without having to completely start over or reinvent the wheel.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racecar, racepak, BOP bolts 7-2013 004.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	330763   Click image for larger version

Name:	racecar, racepak, BOP bolts 7-2013 005.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	330764   Click image for larger version

Name:	racecar, racepak, BOP bolts 7-2013 006.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	330765  

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm getting set to pull the engine to free up the parts I'll be transferring to the new engine and have some other work done. It looks rather forlorn in the engine compartment now, but maybe before long I can get started on putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. Paul Carter is working on the engine while I'm doing the rest. I've drawn up plans to have a new eight-gallon fuel cell made, but I haven't checked to see who can do it yet. I'm pulling the transmission out with the engine. Then I'll check with Hughes and see if they can re-do the torque converter for the new combo. If they can, I'll send it into them. They did a super job loosening it up for me when I first got the car running and was having major problems. Now maybe they can tighten it up again and make it work with the blower.

The 7.50 chassis cert expired in march, but I talked to the local guy who does them and he suggested I wait until I'm closer to completion to get it done. It's hard to believe this will already be the third three-year cert for this car. I must be getting old.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	racecar, racepak, BOP bolts 7-2013 008.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	330766   Click image for larger version

Name:	racecar, racepak, BOP bolts 7-2013 009.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	330767  

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Consider adding a pressure sensor for the crankcase. That is a quick way to see if all the pistons & rings are healthy after each run (we have the same idea on the Grocery Getter with a crankcase vacuum sensor).

We didn't get data on the Boss Bird yet on a fresh engine. But we had a piston going away on us on our last test pass and registered a little over 5 psi in the crankcase.

FWIW,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's great to see you back on the Tempest, Jim!

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Consider adding a pressure sensor for the crankcase. That is a quick way to see if all the pistons & rings are healthy after each run (we have the same idea on the Grocery Getter with a crankcase vacuum sensor).

We didn't get data on the Boss Bird yet on a fresh engine. But we had a piston going away on us on our last test pass and registered a little over 5 psi in the crankcase.

FWIW,
Eric
Thanks for the tip, Eric. That makes perfect sense. Where do you have your sensor? I wonder if I could get a reading from the oil drainback holes or maybe something on the valley pan. I can see I need to plan ahead on this.

Do you happen to use wheelie bar sensors? I don't want to go crazy with this, but I might as well consider all options (the in for a dime---in for a dollar line of reasoning).

Jim

Old 07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
It's great to see you back on the Tempest, Jim!
I really needed to do something on this to get my head into it again. It's hard to see it sit there while I work on other things and get older every day.

Thanks again for the blower restraint. It looks like it will fit fine. I may have to make some slight changes on the cooling nozzles on the blower to avoid rubbing on the straps. The opening on the plate and the bolt hole locations are an excellent match to my oddball blower opening.

Jim

Old 07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Eric. That makes perfect sense. Where do you have your sensor? I wonder if I could get a reading from the oil drainback holes or maybe something on the valley pan. I can see I need to plan ahead on this.

Do you happen to use wheelie bar sensors? I don't want to go crazy with this, but I might as well consider all options (the in for a dime---in for a dollar line of reasoning).

Jim
We're using a Moon timing cover and tapped a 1/8" pipe thread into the side of it....about where the stock fuel pump boss would have been.

No wheelie bar sensors. We're measuring fuel pump pressure, run nozzle pressure, boost, crankcase pressure, oil pressure, (8) EGT, engine rpm, driveshaft rpm.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
...Thanks again for the blower restraint. It looks like it will fit fine. I may have to make some slight changes on the cooling nozzles on the blower to avoid rubbing on the straps. The opening on the plate and the bolt hole locations are an excellent match to my oddball blower opening.

Jim
You're very welcome! My apologies it took so long...I was able to find one on Deist's shelves after they consolidated with DJ Safety. It just so happened that that top plate is the most popular among the guys running Littlefield retro cases. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the Racepak's basic functions wired. The driveshaft collar was a tight fit, but it works. The bracket for the driveshaft sensor didn't come close to fitting, but I made a simple substitute out of a piece of angle aluminum. So, all the basic functions are wired. Now, I need to find some sensors and transducers for the optional pickups I plan. I found out the Red Alert EGT data is not easily compatible with the Racepak, so I'll monitor them separately.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 019.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	332944   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 014.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	332945   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 017.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	332946   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 018.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	332947  

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got some work done on my new hood as well. I had to piece my swap meet bargain hood together with a VFN cowl piece. I got the idea to cut up some 1" by 1" U-channel aluminum to tie the two pieces together with pop rivets. That worked well except that the two hoods end up almost an inch short after I trimmed the rear of the cowl to match my weld-distorted lower windshield channel. I'll add an inch along the front edge and probably put a layer of fiberglass along the cowl/hood seam as well. Before I do that, I'll drill the hood for the Dzus fittings (to line up with the spots I had the old cowl induction hood attached to).

When I'm done with all that, I'll set it aside to wait to cut out the outline for the blower to fit through when I get the engine in and the blower components on. I'm trying to get as much done as I can while I'm waiting on the engine.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 134.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	332948   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 137.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	332949   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 139.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	332950   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 141.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	332951   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-13, Norwalk, engine, Cat bumper, etc 143.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	332952  

7.75 @ 178 pass: