Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And now you know why I leave those things disconnected. The less vacuum leaks, the better the car runs.

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't really say it's a 'leak', unless you think the power brake vacuum line is a 'leak'?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I wouldn't really say it's a 'leak', unless you think the power brake vacuum line is a 'leak'?

Correct on that point, but those flapper diaphragms tend to leak after 40 or so years, in addition to the little thermostatic valve that the hoses connect to in the air cleaner base.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Correct, I didn't think that far ahead before I commented.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Air Cleaner done and working

So the air cleaner project is finished. I switched out air cleaners and am using one I restored previously. I'll go through the one I removed and ultimately reunite it with the Black Car. Thanks to a lot of assistance from the forum, I think I have it plumbed correctly. I know that it is working correctly. It's pretty cool to watch the flappers close up and then several minutes later reopen. I also have the new correct air cleaner decal in place, and of course PB's correct lid decal. Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bentwheelbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine detail

Mission creep....

While I had the air cleaner off I decided to do a little engine clean up and detail. I have a lot of parts that were gathered for the stalled engine transplant on the Red Car, and these came in very handy. I switched out the TCS switch, installed Norwood's new repro heat riser parts, installed an NOS choke coil and cover, installed an NOS idle stop, switched out the throttle cable bracket, replaced the throttle return spring, installed a new brake booster vacuum hose, removed and repainted the valve covers, switched out the breather tube, and media blasted and repainted the a/c brackets. If I had planned better I could have added one of Greg's upper radiator hoses to the list, but I do have one coming from the next batch he makes. I had a very good starting point, but I am happy with the improvements. I'm sure I've missed a few things or have some items that are not correct and welcome all the help I can get. Here's a few before and after shots - regrettably I did not fire up the camera before removing the valve covers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bentwheelbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking awesome Bob, gives me inspiration to pull and detail my engine & compartment.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice work, Bob (as usual).

Just one thing I noticed, and maybe you have already added it since you took the picture, but it looks like you're missing the metal clip that goes on the bottom side of the air cleaner for the thermal switch. It is used to hold the switch to the air cleaner and also holds the 2 vacuum lines in place. Looks like this (see attached pic):

...just trying to help. Keep up the great work.

Oh, there is also a thin, paper-like gasket that goes between the switch and the air cleaner, but you may already know that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose clip.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	345014  

Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mission creep is right! Nice stockpile of parts you have sitting around. What did you end up doing to protect the flange area on the air cleaner form boot scuffing?

Also, you may want to flatten out the glossy finish on the master cylinder. They should be flat black. I don't think it was a black phosphate finish as it appears to be a flat black paint on my 73 (or what's left of it).

Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post

Also, you may want to flatten out the glossy finish on the master cylinder. They should be flat black. I don't think it was a black phosphate finish as it appears to be a flat black paint on my 73 (or what's left of it).
You are right, it wasnt phosphate, but it was semi gloss (60% roughly) when new. It was cheap black Alkyd enamel paint which fades fast ( like all cheap alkyd enamels do). The durability of that original crap paint is slightly better than horrible. After 2 years they looked nearly flat. Only "masters" shipped bulk in crates for sub assembly got the paint, brand new ones over the counter in 72 were unpainted like they are today. Bob could use a semi flat clear on that master and would probably look good, but better than new..and more durable.
All IMHO...... love the car, and wish it was here, although its snowed now.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue71ta View Post

Just one thing I noticed, and maybe you have already added it since you took the picture, but it looks like you're missing the metal clip that goes on the bottom side of the air cleaner for the thermal switch. It is used to hold the switch to the air cleaner and also holds the 2 vacuum lines in place. Looks like this (see attached pic):
Thanks. The thermal switch I installed was a cheap repop that did not include a clip. The one on the original air cleaner was an AC Delco part that did have that. I am going to try to track down the Delco piece. It looked much more original and robust.

Quote:
Mission creep is right! Nice stockpile of parts you have sitting around. What did you end up doing to protect the flange area on the air cleaner form boot scuffing?

Thanks Steve. I am going to use the 3m Paint Defender Spray Film. I have never used it and will report back the results and effectiveness. Worst case once I get the original air cleaner straightened up I will know what not to use. On the master cylinder, what kind of paint did you use and any suggestions for flattening the sheen?

Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generic Rustoleum flat black was the closest thing to the original finish...unless of course you want to start a new thread on comparing flat black paints....

;-)

Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Generic Rustoleum flat black was the closest thing to the original finish...unless of course you want to start a new thread on comparing flat black paints....

;-)
I haven't seen any general lack of consensus on flat black paints, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open just in case. What did you use on the master cylinder? I'm trying to figure out the best way to tone down the shine and wonder if it is just Rustoleum or a similar rattlecan finish, or if you used POR-15 like on the air cleaner snorkles.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually I can't remember what I put on there? But the flat black should be able to be painted over it without a problem. Does POR15 make a flat black?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why is there a rubber hose cut off piece on "stove" top of carb where it sticks out of air cleaner? To level out? Protection? Never seen this before.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Why is there a rubber hose cut off piece on "stove" top of carb where it sticks out of air cleaner? To level out? Protection? Never seen this before.
it's like a gasket for the air cleaner to seat against. They are almost always missing. Think the originals were a felt-like material.
I used a rubber O-ring on mine until I can find the right one.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn! You make my HO engine bays feel so inadequate.

Looking great Bob!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you saying you have HO-Envy? ;-)

Old 12-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

...just trying to help. Keep up the great work.

Oh, there is also a thin, paper-like gasket that goes between the switch and the air cleaner, but you may already know that.
Well as it turns out the thermal switch I installed was the new AC Delco version, not a cheap repop. They no longer produce the original version with the AC logo and the metal hose clip. From what I have read the guts are the same, and if you are talented you can switch them out so that you can retain the original look. I believe the AC Delco PN is 213-4400 and GM's PN is 6484244. If you have an original - hang onto it. Here are pictures of the original and the replacement.

Quote:
it's like a gasket for the air cleaner to seat against. They are almost always missing. Think the originals were a felt-like material.
I used a rubber O-ring on mine until I can find the right one.
I think a lot of folks use a very short section of heater hose also. That is what is on the Black Car.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I haven't seen any general lack of consensus on flat black paints, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open just in case. What did you use on the master cylinder? I'm trying to figure out the best way to tone down the shine and wonder if it is just Rustoleum or a similar rattlecan finish, or if you used POR-15 like on the air cleaner snorkles.
Rustoleum makes a semi-flat paint that seems to be just enough above flat without looking too shiny.. Try that, NAPA sells it, or I'm sure an online search will produce retailers..