ID:	424131   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12332.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	424132  

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve - what is the static compression ratio? Mine measures 8.2 to 1 and is 0.030 over CCP pistons on stock cast rods (unfortunately), so it was probably not decked and the heads cut minimally for flatness.

Dennis

Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't check the final comp ratio on that engine like we did with my Gramma Car's 455 engine build, so all I can do is assume it is around the factory spec since we did not have to resurface the heads at all and left the block surface as-is. She ran very strong (as Bob can attest to). :-)

Old 03-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, some copper plated cotter pins were needed for the Black Cars front steering gear, but no one sells them. Thus, me and Mini Me had a science experiment in the garage tonight and made some. They came out pretty well, and the whole experiment was really cool. It only took about 10 minutes in the solution. I'm going to experiment some more. I want to bead blast the cotter pins first and use a better copper source than cheap pipe. Here's the pictures.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's cool, looks like they turned out pretty good.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well a few things have gotten done lately. Spring Break and a bum knee have slowed things down a little, but we are still moving forward. I sent some stuff off to Colorado Plating (formerly Aero Propeller) and got it back the other day. This included the cowl vent frame that one of the best restoration guys in the biz told me was originally gold cad. The vent is now all back together and looks pretty good. The driveshaft has been media blasted and is taped off for striping as well. I am not going to paint the tube itself or the yokes, I am going to treat them with Rust Prevention Magic once the stripes are painted. The jack shaft also is back from cad plating and looks great. I think I'll coat it with some satin clear for protection. Lastly, I've been looking for some small parts and pieces storage and got this great cabinet setup from Fastenal. It has twelve removable drawer cases, and there are 4 different drawer configurations. Here's a few pictures.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sent you an email Bob on the yellow vapor hose clamp below the Booster. Does this car have any yellow spring clamps? ( the ones you are hoarding now? :P)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clips front 2.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	425837  

Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Sent you an email Bob on the yellow vapor hose clamp below the Booster. Does this car have any yellow spring clamps? ( the ones you are hoarding now? :P)
Bruce _ There were no yellow spring clamps. There was the yellow two line bracket you show that caught the vapor line and rear brake. Are you thinking that maybe fuel lines had red pinch clamps and vapor lines had yellow pinch clamps?

Old 04-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Bruce _ There were no yellow spring clamps. There was the yellow two line bracket you show that caught the vapor line and rear brake. Are you thinking that maybe fuel lines had red pinch clamps and vapor lines had yellow pinch clamps?
Yes I am Bob , this one was right at the rubber section, and another was by the radiator where it goes to the "restricted" tube under the radiator and attached to the core support. The cansiter side I am not sure of. I need to also look at the vent line at the rear. This clamp has never been off this car, note edges .. Bruce

Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to post #2 on the attached link and note that Greg (165th) used yellow pinch clamps on his EVAP line going from the charcoal canister to the hard line at the core support. I'm sure Greg researched this and it tends to support your theory.

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....highlight=EVAP

Old 04-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Go to post #2 on the attached link and note that Greg (165th) used yellow pinch clamps on his EVAP line going from the charcoal canister to the hard line at the core support. I'm sure Greg researched this and it tends to support your theory.

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....highlight=EVAP
Great!, Thanks for the link, and info !

Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, I didn't want the Black Car to feel totally neglected. Tom has been at work on it and has it totally stripped down and should be close to having it mounted on the rotisserie. The blaster is next and I think we are both cringing at what he will find. Those pictures may never see print. Here at the garage I got the driveshaft stripes finished up. I followed 165th's guide and started them 13.5" from the front of the tube, made them approximately 3/4" in width, and spaced them 1/4" apart. I used Quantas marking paint it looks pretty good. I am not going to paint the driveshaft itself. It will be left bare steel and treated with RPM. I look forward to seeing the appeance of it with no paint.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bentwheelbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you tape those off Bob or did you just hold the brush & rotate the shaft? What is the proper technique?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-14-2016, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish I was that good. No, I taped it off using 3m 471 1/4" fine line vinyl tape. It is great tape that leaves a very clean line and is the perfect width for the stripe spacing. Sprayed several coats of etching primer after taping and then applied the Quantas paint with an artist brush. I put the paint on somewhat heavy a section at a time around the circumference and then would rotate the shaft several times while lightly holding the brush to the surface to smooth it out. It took three coats. The gun cleaning cradle worked perfect.

Here's a link to the tape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Vinyl-Tap...912146&vxp=mtr

Old 04-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"The blaster is next and I think we are both cringing at what he will find..."

Bob, I sure can relate to that comment! I sure hope you get a nice surprise and not a mission creep special.

DJ

Old 04-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, will share the pix...BTW

Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
"The blaster is next and I think we are both cringing at what he will find..."

Bob, I sure can relate to that comment! I sure hope you get a nice surprise and not a mission creep special.

DJ
I really think he should pull those "formerly" NOS quarters that were installed in the 1980's and replace the inner and outer wheel houses (which weren't available back in the day and instead were just badly patched). They were installed by the alleged restorer in the 1980's using brazing rod and not by electric welding.

Do it once, right and you'll never regret it.

This way it will be 100% perfect when you sell it back to me. ;-)

Old 04-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So the Black Car is stripped, on a rotisserie and headed for the blaster on Wednesday. Tom is taking it to a commercial blasts instead of having a driveway job done which is smart. We've talked, and depending on what we find the car may go to the AMD Installation facility in Atlanta if it needs substantial metal work. Meanwhile Tom has plenty to keep him busy with the front and rear suspension, and front sheetmetal. Sometime in the last week the engine also got painted and is now ready to get a few parts installed, and a few more mocked up if for no reason other than trying to remember how everything goes back together. The paint is the Tiemans formulation.

...and the picture of Anna, well that's just because.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nervous Bob?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, more nervous about what this will reveal than I am about my knee surgery.