Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Default 50% off Pypes Exhaust for some locals

I just wanted to point out that Pypes is still looking for some local owners to let us test our systems on their rides. We are currently looking for owners of1967-69 Firebird/Transams, 1970-81 Firebird/Transams and 1965-69 B-bodies that can bring in their cars (Pypes is just outside Philladelphia) and let us do an install. You'll get 50% off the system and a FREE install by our technicians.

Also need a 70-71 GTO, Tempest or LeMans with rear valance cutouts.

There are a number of other Non-Pontiac cars we'd like to test on also. Here is the link to the full list and details.

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/testcars.html

Steve

Last edited by Ccass; 06-07-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dm
I would be interested
Conrad

Old 04-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Exhaust Install???

Hi,

I don't know if my Trans-am qualifies for the exhaust install special but it is a stock '79 with a 403 Olds. Are you still looking?

Thanks,
Roy Pavone
RJPavone@aol.com

Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM

It would be nice to see a complete manifold back system (downpipes) for the 77-79 403 TA cars. I used downpipes for a Cutlass and took a lot of work and extra cost on my end. Hopefully, Pypes could be convinced to do a 403 system. There are plenty of posts on this on TA country..

Here are some pics of my Pypes Header back system on a 403 w/Torque Tech downpipes. They were a PITA. Hopefully Pypes will make a system. I told Chris in a PM a while ago that I would post these.

olds

Last edited by olds; 04-08-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator

The 403 we had in our shop had a big flange right in the middle of the RH exhaust manifold to accept the pipe from the LH manifold. When we saw that, we passed. Olds, how did you deal with that? If you gave us a copy of those downpipes you made, we would make them.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Anyone who's interested should send an email to sales@pypesexhaust.com with your ride's info and your contact info.

That should get you in touch with the people responsable for scheduling installs.

Steve

Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 PM

Chris,
I don't know how familar you are with olds..every small block olds used two openings on the RH manifold. The RH manifold in the front towards the front of the car has a 2" opening that is normally the single outlet from the crossover on the left manfold when used with single exhaust. That single outlet gets capped for dual applications just like the factory W31 Olds 350 cars. The rear outlet is 2 1/2 and take a triangle clamp.

The new pipes are mix of Pypes and Torque Tech. The downpipes from TT are not exactly what I would do again as they required a lot of cutting and the left did needed to be about 1 inch lower to clear the neutral lock-out linkage. I had to "dent" the top of the drivers pipe to get the linkage to work....no biggie, but could have been better.

Here is the old system that was done at a local shop. It shows how we welded shut the front 2" opening. GM used to make a blank-off for it.

I think you will find this information and photos valuable. I would be willing to discuss in more details if you drop me a PM. We can discuss again working something out for the 403 guys.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
Chris,
I don't know how familar you are with olds..every small block olds used two openings on the RH manifold. The RH manifold in the front towards the front of the car has a 2" opening that is normally the single outlet from the crossover on the left manfold when used with single exhaust. That single outlet gets capped for dual applications just like the factory W31 Olds 350 cars. The rear outlet is 2 1/2 and take a triangle clamp.

The new pipes are mix of Pypes and Torque Tech. The downpipes from TT are not exactly what I would do again as they required a lot of cutting and the left did needed to be about 1 inch lower to clear the neutral lock-out linkage. I had to "dent" the top of the drivers pipe to get the linkage to work....no biggie, but could have been better.

Here is the old system that was done at a local shop. It shows how we welded shut the front 2" opening. GM used to make a blank-off for it.

I think you will find this information and photos valuable. I would be willing to discuss in more details if you drop me a PM. We can discuss again working something out for the 403 guys.
That is the same setup that the Pypes crew saw. It was determined that some type of block off plate would be required to run a dual exhaust. It was decided too complicated at that time. Is there a block off plate available from anybody still? If yes, that makes things much easier. Pypes still needs a sample pair of properly fitting 403 dual exhaust downpipes as a pattern to get this project off the ground.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 AM
PY Staff - Tech

Default local cars

Hey, I'm local and I have one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ta@island.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	88112  

Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Chris..drop me a PM with your direct line.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM

im interested.. car should be back by end of may--and was considering pypes system to begin with i am in coatesville pa.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM

i even have the spacer kit already....

Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM

dm_fan:

I sent an e-mail to sales at Pypes for the test car program and never received a response. Has the 65-69 Big Car slot been filled? I have a '66 2+2 that's just begging for a new system...

Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbarge421
dm_fan:

I sent an e-mail to sales at Pypes for the test car program and never received a response. Has the 65-69 Big Car slot been filled? I have a '66 2+2 that's just begging for a new system...
No, but the big car is rather complicated because of the very close crossmember humps. There's quite a backlog on test cars right now. send an e-mail to mikez@pypesexhaust.com with the details about your car. He can give you a better idea of whether your car is a good fit for our testing and also get you scheduled if it is.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:12 AM

Thanks Ccass! I will send the info today. I use my work e-mail primarily and worry that I miss replies sometimes due to security settings issues. I just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to get in touch with me and couldn't.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM

Email sent

Old 06-02-2007, 10:40 PM

CCass.
I have a '78 TA 400 TH350 car with basically a stock exhaust...surprisingly enough you can damn near eat off the underside of this car as it needs a little resto but is an overall clean car.

Any spot for me in there???

Thanks,
Dave

www.fcrperformance.com
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 AM

Default A Personal Invitation

Why dont you guys "PYPES" move to Sunny Florida
we could test year round

Formerly..... Dreambird72
Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit79403Dave
CCass.
I have a '78 TA 400 TH350 car with basically a stock exhaust...surprisingly enough you can damn near eat off the underside of this car as it needs a little resto but is an overall clean car.

Any spot for me in there???

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, the only thing we need a 78 TA for is to test fit the splitter tips on the crossflow system. That wouldn't warrant a discount on the system but could get you a free install or free stainless splitters. You would have to purchase the crossflow system.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Test Car?

Ccass,
I have a 69 Firebird w/ E-head motor that I would like to change the exhaust on and would be interested in having it be a test car for a stainless 3" X-pipe (tunnel version) system w/ magnaflow mufflers. Do you still have a need for a car like this? I am in final assembly stages and already have a 3" h-pipe system with dynomax mufflers, so I can be flexible on schedule. Car should be on the road in a month. Let me know. Justin