67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:02 AM

I found a beat up 69 a guy is selling. He claims it's an HO 350. But, it has a power steering fluid cooler. I thought those were only available on the 400's?? The car is definitly original and not messed with.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:02 AM

I found a beat up 69 a guy is selling. He claims it's an HO 350. But, it has a power steering fluid cooler. I thought those were only available on the 400's?? The car is definitly original and not messed with.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PS cooler was installed depedent on rear end gear ratio. Has nothing to do with engine choice otherwise. My OHC6 coupe came with the PS cooler. It was OHC6 one-barrel base engine, with optional TH350 tranny and AC. Rear end ratio was 3.23 open.

If you want to know more, turn to the steering section of the 1969 Factory Service Manual. Tells which cars got the cooler, and with which drivetrains and ratios.

Best way to check engine for HO status is to find the partial VIN and match it to the car, if the two-letter ID code is correct for the HO. If engine is not original, then look for build sheet, or invest in the PHS info.

Glenn Uettwiller http://home.earthlink.net/~birdman8/index.html

Repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics!