67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-10-2003, 04:32 PM

can i use 14" crager s/s rims on front of 69 bird if i go with the power front disc brake conversion kits from :master Power Brakes, Stainless Steel or Baer brakes?/ they have told me .. ya it SHOULD work. looking for someone that has caonverted and uses similar rims.
thx

Old 08-10-2003, 04:32 PM

can i use 14" crager s/s rims on front of 69 bird if i go with the power front disc brake conversion kits from :master Power Brakes, Stainless Steel or Baer brakes?/ they have told me .. ya it SHOULD work. looking for someone that has caonverted and uses similar rims.
thx

Old 08-10-2003, 05:00 PM

In the Sept. issue of Car Craft they put the SSBC conversion kit on a '65 Falcon. It fit behind the stock 14" inch wheels. Okay...I know...a Falcon isn't a Firebird, but the point is that they fit like SSBC said they would. I'm planning this conversion myself...just as soon as I can convince my wife that WE need to spend another $1000 dollars on the 'bird.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Senior Chief

I would go with GM parts for the disc brakes, you just need the spindels, and most everything else you can buy from parts house, with factory parts its easier to get replacement parts and I know you can run 14" wheels as thats what I have. there are a couple of guys on here that have the set up for sale

Old 08-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's right. You can get a used system for the spindles and caliper mounts, then get all new or remanufactured stuff from your local suppliers. You'll have a factory system for 1/2 the price of those guys who get fancy magazine ink. And your car will stop better. I know, I have one of those expensive conversions, and my car does NOT STOP! I'm gonna have to swap parts with factory stuff until the brakes work properly.

Glenn Uettwiller http://home.earthlink.net/~birdman8/index.html

Repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics!

Old 08-10-2003, 11:14 PM

While these won't fit under 14" rims, I thought I'd post the link anyway. I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to do for my 'Bird when the time comes, it should be a CHEAP alternative to the kits or the X-body spindle search.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...es_on_fgen.htm

http://www.shadowdrop.com

Old 08-11-2003, 07:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by firebird69racer:
there are a couple of guys on here that have the set up for sale<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am somewhat mechanically challenged!! the shopping list includes:
calipers
rotors
backing plates
spindles
hoses
master cylinder
9" power booster
brake pads
bearings?

where can i get the spindles? the junk yards in NJ dont have any cars older than 1988 it seems. Is the shopping list above complete? with the exception of the spindles is the rest available at my local shop??
thx for ur help guys

Old 08-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

Dave
not sure if you or not but there is another forum like this just for first gen firebirds. on there there are a few guys that have lots of parts that will help you find what you need. its at
http://www.oakmediacreations.com/firebird/1969/