67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

My buddy has a sweet 68 rs ss convert.Non AC He wants to change over to AC before the car goes to the body shop. I have done it on a 2nd gen, but dont know much about the 67-69 cars. My main question is what year and model donor car can I get the outer/inner firewall box from.Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks Will

Old 07-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

My buddy has a sweet 68 rs ss convert.Non AC He wants to change over to AC before the car goes to the body shop. I have done it on a 2nd gen, but dont know much about the 67-69 cars. My main question is what year and model donor car can I get the outer/inner firewall box from.Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks Will

Old 07-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first thought is why would anyone want to add AC to a "Sweet rs SS"? Assuming they still want to any 1st gen camaro could donate the parts but as I'm sure you're aware there are a lot of components to find get back into shape. When we restored our '69 SS we had to locate ALL of the AC components as they had all been "ripped" out...literally (ducts, heater switch, kickpanels - yes, they are unique to an AC car). So components might work from same era Novas as they share a lot with Camaros (including front sub frames). The hole in the firewall is different between AC and non AC also I believe that the evaporator suitcase is different between BBc and SBC (as is the non AC heater box).

If your friend is insistant on the AC and does not care about originality then I would think vintage air would be a less frustrating and more cost effective method of adding the desired climate control.

If he does go original then good luck and get out your wallet.

Joe

Old 07-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the insight joe. The answer to your "why" question is this: He wants to drive the car and it gets hot as heck in the summer around here.I share his belief that if you are going to build a car as a "keeper" you might as well be 100% happy with it. I am in the process of doing the same thing to a 71 4spd TA that belongs to another friend. The Camaro is being torn down all the way and we want to get the firewall mods and install the evap box before it goes to the bodyshop.Does anyone know for certain if a nova box or anything else will work? 1st gen F bodys are scarce around here?

PS thats his factory paxton blown Shelby GT350SC convert (1 of 8)in the background. Its regularly driven around town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steves_rs_ss.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	8096  

Old 08-01-2003, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even if the suitcase and other engine side components fit the interior pieces will be uniquely Camaro. The dash pad is different, ducts are different, kick panels are unique to the AC cars. Wiring harnesses also. I might have a friend with some or all of the parts. I'll try to find out for you. Any time frame on this?

Joe

Old 08-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Senior Chief

Joe thanks again for your input.Eventually He is gonna need everything -all the ductwork,control panel,harness,kickpanels etc. etc. etc. but the only thing that hes in a rush to locate are the heater core box and outer evap. box "suitcase" because they need to be installed while the car is apart. If its not too much trouble, find out what your friend has available along with his prices and email me,TAjunkman@aol.com. I will pass it along to him.He is also going to check on aftermarket set ups like you suggested.By the way its a small block car. -Will

Old 08-07-2003, 10:59 AM

Technically, all 67 68 and 69 A/C parts are different. Stay away from 69 completely. Everything is different. You won't need to change the dash pad like on 69's but the biggest problem will be that you'll have to weld a patch over the "astro ventilation" duct holes inside the cowl.