67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

This is an exhaust question, but I wanted to post it here since this is the Firebird section and I'm looking for specific information. My question is what experiences do you Firebird(preferably 4 speed) owners have with HO manifolds and headers. I'm trying to decide which way to go. I know the HO manifolds are spendy, but virtually maintenance free. I also know that some people like the cheapo headers advertised on this site. Let's hear some opinons on both so I can make up my mind. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

This is an exhaust question, but I wanted to post it here since this is the Firebird section and I'm looking for specific information. My question is what experiences do you Firebird(preferably 4 speed) owners have with HO manifolds and headers. I'm trying to decide which way to go. I know the HO manifolds are spendy, but virtually maintenance free. I also know that some people like the cheapo headers advertised on this site. Let's hear some opinons on both so I can make up my mind. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2003, 04:12 AM
Senior Chief

Hi, I am in the same boat as you.I have a 68 Firebird 400 and am having a hard time deciding what to do also.I am leaning towards the headers though because the manifolds are way too Pricey !!

Old 07-31-2003, 05:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe it to be a question of originality. Do you want an original looking engine bay,then you have to pay more for that, or you want it to look close to stock but it is not that important to have it factory correct. The headers do perform a bit better than the HO manifolds but the HO's make the bay a little cleaner in appearance. Just my view.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:11 AM

Ground clearance will be better with the HO manifolds. I just had a set of hooker comps installed on my 68 bird and the ground clearance isn't good...really have to watch the dips in the road.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 AM

I hate those dips. I wish they'd stay on the sidewalk where they belong!

Old 08-07-2003, 03:36 PM

Ask yourself this question: Am I putting the car together to drive & enjoy or am I restoring the car? If it's a cruiser go with the headers, if restoring to stock use the manifolds.

Steve

Old 08-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Senior Chief

It's definately a cruiser. Does anybody have any experience with the ones PY sells for $89. Will I have to install a mini-starter or a remote starter solenoid with headers? What about the angled oil filter mount?

Old 08-08-2003, 05:00 AM
Senior Chief

I just bought mine from Spotts Performance and the have the whole installation outlined in pictures on their website. They were $99 and they claim the fit is great along with road clearance.You also do not have to change the starter.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:18 PM

You will need to use an oil filter adapter for the filter to be changed properly. It tilts the oil filter to the back, enabling the filter to be removed easily. Was used on all FGF with the long branch manifolds.

Steve

Old 08-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Senior Chief

Paul, when do you plan on installing them? Are you going to ceramic coat them? I'd love to hear how they fit.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:13 AM
Senior Chief

I received them over the weekend and they look like they were made 20 years agoand they are Black Jack. The box was very old but the headers look alright. I am going to call Spotts this morning and make sure I got the right set.There install instructions @ Spotts indicated they were a new design that fit excellent but after seeing what I got they are not a new design by any means.I am going to get the angled oil filter adapter but not sure about the ceramic coating.I will let you know what transpires !!

Old 08-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

Talked to Paul Spotts today and got the scoop that they were made 28 years ago but fit like a Glove !! They are the same ones that PY sells but the quantity available is almost gone.Go to the Spottsperformance website and look at the installation they did on a 68 Firebird 4 speed.I will probably install mine within the next week as soon as I get some painting done to the chassis.I will let you know how it works out.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Senior Chief

Sounds good! If they're pretty easy to install I think I'll get a set.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run the "long branch" manifolds and Hedman headers on my bird when it was a 4 spd. I had the headers Jet Hot coated. I liked them both and really don't see the clearance issue with Hedmans. The car made more power with the headers and is cooler under the hood.

Later, Murf

Old 08-19-2003, 04:12 AM
Senior Chief

Well, I installed the headers over the weekend and last night did the drivers side. I had too remove the starter and the clutch pivot bar to get them in. If I had the car higher I might not have had to but it was easier than getting the car way up in the air.I have a slight problem with one of the tubes just touching the steering box at one point. I am going to call Paul Spotts this morning but fear I will just have to dent it in slightly. Other than that they fit very nice.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the update Paul. Those sound like really good headers for the $. Do you think the oil filter adaptor is a must?

Old 08-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Senior Chief

The oil filter adapter is not a must but with it, it gives the filter alot more distance from the headers.

Old 08-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

Just got my headers today! Don't look too bad for the $. I think I'll wait til winter to put them in since I'll be re-doing the entire exhaust system. Thanks for all the info, definately helped me make the decision.