67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:04 AM

If anyone is interested in a conversion to relay from the linkage assemble for a 69 Firebird, I can detail it. Got the car and before it can be safetied for the road up here in Canada, the reverse lights etc. have to work. Found there was nothing between the switch on the column and the tranny. Went out and found and refinished all the linkage parts only to realize the previous owner took them all off because they interferred with the headers. Can't use. Now he didn't bother to tell me he had no reverse lights and no neutral safety switch. I used a magnetic micro relay in the shifter housing wired to a higher current relay then directly into the conector for the reverse lights on the neutral safety switch on the column. Works great. Nobody will ever see it or know it's a mod from the all original car. Didn't do the neutral safety switch though. Noby will know but easy to do as well if needed.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:04 AM

If anyone is interested in a conversion to relay from the linkage assemble for a 69 Firebird, I can detail it. Got the car and before it can be safetied for the road up here in Canada, the reverse lights etc. have to work. Found there was nothing between the switch on the column and the tranny. Went out and found and refinished all the linkage parts only to realize the previous owner took them all off because they interferred with the headers. Can't use. Now he didn't bother to tell me he had no reverse lights and no neutral safety switch. I used a magnetic micro relay in the shifter housing wired to a higher current relay then directly into the conector for the reverse lights on the neutral safety switch on the column. Works great. Nobody will ever see it or know it's a mod from the all original car. Didn't do the neutral safety switch though. Noby will know but easy to do as well if needed.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:14 PM

Hi,

That sounds very interresting. I have the same problem with my ´bird. Could you please be more detailed or maybe post some pictures.

Old 08-27-2003, 12:18 PM

I’d really appreciate a detailed explanation of how you did it as well! Thanks!

69 Firebird, FINALLY installed the Pontiac 469.
01 Red and pewter GMC Ext Cab SIERRA SLT 4x4
02 Maple Red (maroon) LS1 Trans Am

69 Firebird, .060 over 455, UD solid roller 254/262 @ .050, Scorpion rockers, home ported 6X-4 heads, Holley 850 DP (bone stock), Holley SD intake, with Summit 3 inch x-pipe and goerlich Xlerator mufflers. 12.27 @ 115mph.

02 Midnight Blue LS1 Ram Air Trans Am WS6 (440 rwhp)

http://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=642
Old 08-27-2003, 05:20 PM

Interesting topic, I too bought a 69 bird 2 years ago and the guy put headers on and threw out all the linkage from the column to the tranny. so I simply turn the column to start the car (need to line up the igintion switch). It's actually like a built in kill swicth. if you don't have it turned exactly right it won't crank. As for the back-up lights, i too need them for inspection in massachusetts. So i mounted the smallest micro-swicth i could from radio shack under the console plate. When you put the shifter in park- off the swicth, put in R, and it hits the swicth (lights on), and go past to Neu, and it's back off the swicth. Works great, ran the wires under the rug and you never would ever know it's there.. but unfortunately i have no nuetral safety, but who starts it but me anyway...right. i will try and get a picture of it for you guys eventually....

Old 08-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought mine 2 yrs ago too, found out that car sometimes wouldnt start (69) missing linkage also...thats how I found out part of the column would turn by itself...so no backups...moved the neutral switch to hidden location ,added screw to hold col shifter cover in place stationary, so now it does start in neutral , but only if you know how to hold it and where (this neutral switch ) ,its become a great kill switch , makes it hard to steal or at least start the car....hard to find...then I added a flat switch under the dash for the back ups.., but here in Texas backups not req`d....I just want it for dark nites...
its not legal, the way I hooked them up, I think , but nobody checks on 25 yrs old or older car...its hooked like I used to have in Sweden 35 yrs ago, but there I had a lot stronger back up...it was great 'revenge' for whomever did not go to low beams behind you! LOL

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6