Old 09-25-2021, 08:35 PM

Default 326 valve job

I'm doing a cam swap and valve job on a 326 in my 65 Lemans early production. It has a 64 engine that has been recently rebuilt bored .060". This engine has all new rocker arms WITH the oil holes. The 64 engine has pressurized lube going through the deck up to the heads and the hollow studs they used for many years.

Question: Should I plug these oil passages ? Considering some soft plugs and maybe stake them as I don't want to make threads. The engine is staying in the car.

I'm open to suggestions and conversation on what cam to use and reactions to everything I've stated. I've installed the 65-66 valves so they are slightly longer and good valve retainer clearance up to about .450" on both sides. I could get more clearance with new retainers but don't expect to need it.

RA ex manifolds with 2.5" Pypes with X. Going with 2.5/2" reducers coming out of the manifolds for velocity and anti-reversion. This will be custom made to fit between the flanges like a gasket and go down into the lead pipes a couple inches if possible.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No need to plug the holes.Tom

Old 09-25-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
No need to plug the holes.Tom
Thanks Tom. I drove it a small amount before tearing it down and there was no problem with that part of it that I could tell.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm running a 61 389 with both oil methods to the valve area. Works fine except idle oil pressure. I get about 14-18 hot with 10w-40. Seems a bit low compared to what my 64 GTO used to run. Pressure comes up nicely with the slightest touch of the pedal. If when your engine was rebuilt you had the crank turned and used the specified undersized bearings you will probably get netter pressure than I do. For my engine the PO had the crank polished but put in Std bearings not 0.001 undersize. By plastigage my bearing clearance reads wide but still within specified range. So I probably have more leakage in the overall oil system as I flow more total oil at both the bearings and valve system. You may do better with tighter bearing clearance.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And the oil that comes up to the rocker arms the "old way" is metered to just a few degrees of cam rotation. See post #4 from Jack Gifford in this thread
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&highlight=cam