Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you check it out get a copy of PHS too, and build date. Love to see if all those options are correct, and if the OEM stuff is in place.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A non A/C car with 308 gears !!!!!! Is this right having a safety track posi in it ? I like the car....

Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i'd love the see PHS posted. that and more photos i think would only help sell the car..... not sure about the 3.08's,..seems like it should be 3.42's?...but it does look to otherwise be an *honest car* fwiw....

Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the combo and wish it was close by to view myself.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So, the '71 had the dual straps for the alternator bracket? I don't think so.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Not hammering on it...but that's right, wrong alternator brackets. It just makes you wonder what else. I don't understand the 3.08 rear on a 4 speed car. Maybe it was 3.42 and he wanted a little better crusing RPM on the freeway.

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0
Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If you read the auction description,I think seller states that PS was "dealer added" which would explain the "bojangle" alternator brackets......

Don't see ALOT of early 70's birds with manual steering,but as I recall,the alternator sits lower down where the p/s pump would go....

Seller also sates that the gears were changed out.....pretty sure a non-A/C stick would have come with 3:42's.....

Quoting the sellers description..... The original owner had the dealer install power steering, the Ram Air Option, and a 3:08 rear axle ratio (Safe-T-Track). This car was factory equipped with non-power front disc brakes.

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!

Last edited by 2manyT/A'S; 05-27-2013 at 12:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not buying it. If a dealer installed the PS (which I did read), they would have used the correct parts due to the head accessory mounting holes change.

The Following User Says Thank You to Held for Ransom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm not buying it. If a dealer installed the PS (which I did read), they would have used the correct parts due to the head accessory mounting holes change.
If it's not on the invoice,it really doesn't matter WHO put it on as it's technically "incorrect" anyways...

Could have been a 1st-gen or A-body accessory P/S kit the dealer had in stock...

If you ever drove one of these cars WITHout P/S you'll understand WHY it's there...

Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It's the wrong year for you Mike !!!!!!
Not a 74 HA-HA.....

Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 SD455 Formula View Post
It's the wrong year for you Mike !!!!!!
Not a 74 HA-HA.....
Also doesn't have the better SD engine.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Also doesn't have the better SD engine.
You must mean the SLOWER engine in the HEAVIER car......

Old 05-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Senior Chief

I am about a half-hour away from the 71 455 HO formula.
After asking to look at the car, the seller responded with, "I am not showing the car in person at this stage of the sale...thanks for inquiring."

Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing suspicious sounding about that....

Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, I never even got a response to my request for the PHS....

Old 05-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGGDOG View Post
I am about a half-hour away from the 71 455 HO formula.
After asking to look at the car, the seller responded with, "I am not showing the car in person at this stage of the sale...thanks for inquiring."

I hope he knows that no show = no bid.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
I hope he knows that no show = no bid.
True. Strange.
Perhaps he was saying the bidding is only open to morons at this "stage of the sale."

Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
If you read the auction description,I think seller states that PS was "dealer added" which would explain the "bojangle" alternator brackets......

Don't see ALOT of early 70's birds with manual steering,but as I recall,the alternator sits lower down where the p/s pump would go....

Seller also sates that the gears were changed out.....pretty sure a non-A/C stick would have come with 3:42's.....

Quoting the sellers description..... The original owner had the dealer install power steering, the Ram Air Option, and a 3:08 rear axle ratio (Safe-T-Track). This car was factory equipped with non-power front disc brakes.
When manual strg was ordered for '71, 72, 73, one could not get the Formula wheel. The pics claerly show a Formula wheel, guess it was "dealer installed" too? The alt straps are '69-early '70 (exc '70 Bird). The P/S parts shown on the car are definitely earlier than '71 style, the style of pump mtg pieces also require the use of earlier style pulleys. Chrome valve covers are also earlier. The seller notes "In 2003 I began an amateur restoration of the car with the intent to make it a nice "driver." The car was not built as any type of show car." Having bought a LOT of original '68 & later manual steering pieces over the last two decades, with some even purchased off original owners who had their '68-71 Pontiacs "upgraded" at the dealer to factory power steering, I just can't see the cobble job not in the early 70's at a Pontiac dealer, reminds me more of the results of amateur wrenching with few parts resources.

As far as the gearing goes, if the 3.08's were actually installed early on at the dealer, that is extremely odd. Would love to see pictures of the inscribed dates on the gears & it would be nice to see pics of the dealer paperwork to support "dealer installed" comments for the gears. The original '71 Formula & T/A rears I've torn down & rebuilt had the Warner-Motive cone type posi's. This cone type posi does not hold up well. Maybe the reason for the rearend build in the 90's, again be nice to see pics with the differential cover off.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 AM

Default My Formula 455 HO on Ebay

For all you guys hammering on my car...I can only state the information that was given to me along the way, and since I'm only the 3rd owner of the car, and I knew the 2nd owner for all the years he owned the car, that story line is not real long. When my buddy (#2) bought the car in 1986, the car looked like new. He entered the car in a show at a National POCI Convention in Las Vegas in the late 1980's. At the show, John Sawruck awarded the car his "Favorite Car" trophy, and talked to my buddy at length about the car,stating that he always preferred the Formula over the Trans Am. John Sawruck didn't knock the car because the power steering was not year-correct, or the Formula steering wheel was probably "cobbled" together by some moron amateur, or the rear end gears could not possibly have come with the car, or whatever else you nit pickers are criticizing the car about. He awarded the car a First Place Trophy for being his "Favorite Car." And as far as the axle goes, it is stamped "GYG", and yet #1 stated that he had this ratio installed at the dealer when the car was new, along with the power steering,Ram Air, and probably the chrome valve covers...go figure... I don't know all the whys or wherefores on this stuff, but can only tell what I was told. As far as me "Cobbling" the car together like an amateur short on parts, I didn't change a thing on the car when I took it over. I only replaced worn out stuff and tried to make the car look nice, but still practical as a "driver,"not something I had to keep in a bubble locked up someplace where nobody would ever mess with it. And for "ol Pinion head out there...I've been working on cars for almost 60 years now, and know a thing or two...you might know a lot more than me, I dunno, and I respect your knowledge and experience...but your attitude SUCKS...I joined this sight as a friend amongst friends for some advice and help in building my car, and I really did get some valuable information along the way...this negative feedback kind of takes the fun out of it. And just to pass some friendly information on to anyone selling their car. I only went to this ebay thing because I nearly got ripped off the first two times I tried to sell my car the old fashioned way, by word of mouth and taking it to local car runs. The first rip-off attempt involved a stolen cashiers check...and the second failed sale involved a whole stack of counterfeit $100 bills...only my ties to law enforcement enabled me to keep my car...I hope none of you ever has this grief...so good luck to you all, and be careful out there...

Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrunner View Post
For all you guys hammering on my car...I can only state the information that was given to me along the way, and since I'm only the 3rd owner of the car, and I knew the 2nd owner for all the years he owned the car, that story line is not real long. When my buddy (#2) bought the car in 1986, the car looked like new. He entered the car in a show at a National POCI Convention in Las Vegas in the late 1980's. At the show, John Sawruck awarded the car his "Favorite Car" trophy, and talked to my buddy at length about the car,stating that he always preferred the Formula over the Trans Am. John Sawruck didn't knock the car because the power steering was not year-correct, or the Formula steering wheel was probably "cobbled" together by some moron amateur, or the rear end gears could not possibly have come with the car, or whatever else you nit pickers are criticizing the car about. He awarded the car a First Place Trophy for being his "Favorite Car." And as far as the axle goes, it is stamped "GYG", and yet #1 stated that he had this ratio installed at the dealer when the car was new, along with the power steering,Ram Air, and probably the chrome valve covers...go figure... I don't know all the whys or wherefores on this stuff, but can only tell what I was told. As far as me "Cobbling" the car together like an amateur short on parts, I didn't change a thing on the car when I took it over. I only replaced worn out stuff and tried to make the car look nice, but still practical as a "driver,"not something I had to keep in a bubble locked up someplace where nobody would ever mess with it. And for "ol Pinion head out there...I've been working on cars for almost 60 years now, and know a thing or two...you might know a lot more than me, I dunno, and I respect your knowledge and experience...but your attitude SUCKS...I joined this sight as a friend amongst friends for some advice and help in building my car, and I really did get some valuable information along the way...this negative feedback kind of takes the fun out of it. And just to pass some friendly information on to anyone selling their car. I only went to this ebay thing because I nearly got ripped off the first two times I tried to sell my car the old fashioned way, by word of mouth and taking it to local car runs. The first rip-off attempt involved a stolen cashiers check...and the second failed sale involved a whole stack of counterfeit $100 bills...only my ties to law enforcement enabled me to keep my car...I hope none of you ever has this grief...so good luck to you all, and be careful out there...
Welcome BACK to the forums......

WE DO pick at cars here...that's kinda our thing...and there's very little NOT to like about your HO Formula......it's a 40+ year old car that gets DRIVEN and wasn't built to win judged car shows.

It's unfortunate that you didn't connect with Greggdog because I'm sure he would have posted a positive report on your car for us...(and you)

GOOD LUCK with your car auction/sale & thanks for warning about the SCAMS.......