Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM

Default The Love Affair Begins

In late 1963, my dad was in the market for a 63 Pontiac Catalina. We were in the show room, and the salesman walked me to a gold 64 GTO convertible. He opened the door, told me to sit in the car, and said, "Now this is the car your Dad should buy." Dad laughed because the GTO was priced at close to $3000. He opted for the "cheaper" Catalina at $2300. I continued to follow the GTO line, but when the 66's were introduced, I truly fell in love-- especially with what GM had done with the tail lights.

When I turned 20, I was looking for my first car. I found a Montero Red 66 convertible with parchment interior which was about 9 years old at the time. I took Dad to look at it, but he wasn't then, and still isn't, a fan of "used" cars. "You're only buying someone else's problems."

Finally, early last spring, I decided to go for it, and found exactly what I wanted in near by NJ. The car had undergone two restorations, the current owner, a young guy, had done most of the work with his father as a project car. The minute I saw her, I was hooked! I weighed the options of buying a fixer upper over a car that was pretty well restored and opted for the later. A lot of guys told me that, in the long run, sometimes it's cheaper to go for the restored car.

I've linked a few pictures. I'm having a blast with this car!

http://sixtysixgoat.myphotoalbum.com...umName=album01

http://sixtysixgoat.myphotoalbum.com
Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice. We will expect to see you at the Star Pontiac Show, ATCO, and Englishtown Pontiac events. I am about 40 minutes south of you, in Chalfont, PA. -Doug

Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgto
Very nice. We will expect to see you at the Star Pontiac Show, ATCO, and Englishtown Pontiac events. I am about 40 minutes south of you, in Chalfont, PA. -Doug
Thanks, Doug. I love going to shows. If I know when they are, I'll book the dates.

http://sixtysixgoat.myphotoalbum.com