Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Brake Question.

I changed out the pads on my wifes Malibu a couple of weekends ago. Good pedal again, no fade or grinding. I told her to drive with the radio down and the cellphone out of her ear at least one day a month.

Anyway, they are starting to sqeal when you apply the brakes now. It is terrible. Any ideas? I put the anti sqeak stuff on the backs when I did the job. Could it have worn off or maybe not enough? Or do I have bad pads. I have noticed a extremely large amount of brake dust and that has not happend before. I was thinking bad pads or I need to sand the pads to get any junk off them. Thanks in advance for the help.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 06-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the cheaper pads are real bad for extra dust and noise. Raybestos had a series called "Quiet Stop" out a few years ago - I don't know if they're still available. Those were a big improvement over some of the Auto-zone specials. Not cheap, but worth it (IMHO).

Old 06-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The harder the pad, the longer they last and the more noise they tend to make, the softer pads have a shorted life and in turn put out more dust.If you file a small 45 degree angle on the leading edge of the pad, and with a hack saw cut a channel the blades with across the pad this will help the noise, also the pads ears need to be a tight fit against the caliper to hold the pad still front too rear so to speak, anti noise goop can not do it on its own, so take a big brass punch and pinch the pad ears so it can not slap back and forth.Also if you did not clean up cut the rotors to just get rid of any glasing, you may never get rid of the noise!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cut an channel across the pad lining in the center, top to bottom, this acts as a dust vent so you are not just welding spent pad into a noise making glaze.