Old 04-11-2020, 10:16 AM

Default '61 Full Size Car Vacuum Gauge Details

Hello,

I am restoring a 1961 Catalina 2 dr hardtop and would like some info re installing a dash mounted vacuum gauge. I have seen examples of '61's with a dash mounted gauge, but I'm not sure if this was a factory or dealer installed option? Some cars of this vintage with the dash mount gauge appear to have been retrofitted with tachometer movements (photo #1), but I'm pretty certain a tach was not offered in '61 - and if so not as a dash mounted unit.

The gauge housing for a '63-'64 car appears to use a spacer for the dash mount tach (photo #2, 3, 4) ; perhaps not needed on '61-'62?

Any info and/or photos of the gauge option, and correct housing and spacer installation would be much appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61dashmount.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	536986   Click image for larger version

Name:	62housing.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	536987   Click image for larger version

Name:	spacer-side.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	536988   Click image for larger version

Name:	64 tach.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	536989  

Old 04-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I, like you, wondered for a few years about adding a tach to my 61. But never found a proper combination of parts.

Parts book does not list a tach for 61. I think Chevy offered an option starting in about 59 maybe either factory or dealer installed. But I think it was a Sun mounted on the steering column.

Pontiac parts book lists a tach for 62 but it is a floor mounted unit (23,29 series 3sp ST only). No dash mount mentioned. No vacuum gauge listed in 62.

63-64 shows a trim plate for dash mounted tach. 63 and 64 also shows a floor or console mounted (HT only). So it may have been possible to get both a dash mounted tach and a floor mounted Vac in 63 and 64. And as they used the same cup presumably either could be put it either location.

It's hard to say what combinations may be shown in internet posted pictures that may have been owner installed. But as there doesn't appear to be a proper trim plate to dash for 61-62 such an installation would not likely be proper. When I finally decided to add a tach to y 61 I bought the Sun Retro unit and mounted it on the A pillar. Looks kind of period correct and the Sun was what a lot of people were adding back in the day. And it's mounted high enough that you don't have to look around the steering wheel to read it.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a '61 dealer Colors and Fabric book, which has a comprehensive options and accessories section in it, and every dealer brochure they printed back then and don't recall seeing a tach or vacuum gauge available that year,

Old 04-11-2020, 01:03 PM

I came across the '62 factory tach option as well; as you said it was a floor mount with a 'carpet bracket' to get it above the pad, etc. - not sure if that's the look I'm after. I'd like to keep it period correct at least, so I guess either a vintage column mount aftermarket tach or, the semi-factory retrofit of a '63 oem dash mount would fit the bill in that respect. If I did do the dash mount, it looks like I'd want to use the spacer as it might keep the housing from contacting the curved dash area. I'm still hoping someone can provide a close up picture of a '61 with that arrangement so I can get an idea of how well it worked out.

The car is not 100% original, as I converted it to 4 speed years ago after having issues with the original slim jim trans - no regrets! As such, I'm ok with the 'period correct mods' approach as long as it's not too crazy.

Thanks much for the info-

Old 04-11-2020, 01:14 PM

Hi 61-

Thanks for that information, that seems to be the right answer.

There are several high $$ '61 restorations out there that show a dash mount vac gauge/tach, but they no doubt are not a factory item. Might be that the only way it would be 'semi-factory' is if one brought your '61 into a Pontiac dealer in 1963 and said, "Install a tach...", you might get a '63 oem tach mounted on the dash - but that is a long shot scanario! Thx again

Old 04-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Suspended

If not retrofitting with a "Pontiac" tach, the popular tach of the day was the Sun Tach. That would make it period correct rather then retro-fit with the later factory tach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	537011  

Old 04-11-2020, 04:43 PM

I thought about trying to come up with a dash mount method for a long time, but decided to build an underdash bezel for a tach, an oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge instead. It mounts using a couple of the existing screws on the bottom edge of the dash, so I didn't have to drill any holes.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The red pictures are my solution to get a kind of period look with one of the Sun Retro un its now available.

I don't know what he blue application is. Looks like a Pontiac tach face but not quite right for the tach cup. My suspicion is that it is mounted off to the side of the column for clearance with the dash. The collar on the column that usually had the shifter lever gets so close to the dash that I doubt the tach head would have room to mount and not interfere with the lower dash pad. This guy didn't try to center the tach on top of the column and he didn't have to worry about blocking the shift quadrant. You already solved that by dumping old Jim in favor a 4sp. I never wanted to block the view of old Jim's quadrant as I had visions of some novice at some time thinking he had pulled it down into low and than gun it. Only to realize he was actually in reverse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	537035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	537036   Click image for larger version

Name:	61StockQuestionMark.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	537037  

Old 04-11-2020, 08:00 PM

I have seen some cars that have been converted from column shift to floor shift, and the nub on the column that held the shift lever was repurposed for holding a tach.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:01 AM

The tach was the only option in '62 & was floor or consul mounted. The vacuum gauge wasn't available until '63.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the vintage ad info; I didn’t realize those 90 deg sweep tachs were still available in ‘62. The pillar mount on pf’s car has a nice competition look to it as well, all good ideas! Thanks-

Old 04-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGor View Post
Hi 61-

Thanks for that information, that seems to be the right answer.

There are several high $$ '61 restorations out there that show a dash mount vac gauge/tach, but they no doubt are not a factory item. Might be that the only way it would be 'semi-factory' is if one brought your '61 into a Pontiac dealer in 1963 and said, "Install a tach...", you might get a '63 oem tach mounted on the dash - but that is a long shot scanario! Thx again
I went through this same situation a couple years ago with my 62 Catalina. I have not come up with the "perfect" answer yet for a great looking dash mount. I installed a column mount old school SUN tach as a stop gap because I needed a tach with the four speed. But I have a dash adapter for a 63-64 that was loaned to me and a console mounted tach cup. My plan is to have a nice curved adapter made for the cup that will put the tach in a good line of sight to the left of the steering column right below the dash pad in the curve. I am going to have the piece 3D printed in plastic or possibly aluminum. This is not going to happen in the next few months. Hoping to have one by the end of 2020. So if your willing to wait I should have something in the future. If it looks great and is functional, I will certainly make them available. Not looking to really make any money on this. I imagine a half dozen people may be interested.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:41 PM
Senior Chief

mgarblik,
If you do get your tach mount available I would definitely be interested in purchasing one for my 62 Catalina.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Weber View Post
mgarblik,
If you do get your tach mount available I would definitely be interested in purchasing one for my 62 Catalina.
I will post up when it happens. I do tend to make things happen, just not as fast as many would like, including me. It's a project for this summer for sure. Thanks .

Old 04-13-2020, 09:18 AM

Stuart,

Thanks for the photo, I’m planning on a couple period gauges there too and that looks great as well.

Thanks Mgar - yes please post when you get that ready-