Old 04-26-2020, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Headlight switch

I am finally attempting the running light mod. Per above directions.
However, I reach up behind and can feel the plug. Does it just pull straight off? Afraid of breaking something. Gotta pull the switch out first, or just unplug it.
I haven't touched the dash in a decade or so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 04-26-2020, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Disconnect the battery. Then feel around on the switch body for the little plunger. Push it in and pull the headlight switch knob all the way out. Then remove the bezel and drop the whole switch down where you can get a good grip to remove the plug. At least that is how I did it.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All done. Thanks guys.
That was actually pretty easy once I got the switch out.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's easier to do than most think it is. So, how do you like it so far?

I've had lots of comments good and bad. Good because it's safer, and looks great at the same time. Bad because it's not original how the cars came out of the factory. Well, I see it as Pontiac intended to do it but never pushed it so it was done. It was 2 years later in 1968 that the Federal government made parking lights on with the headlights mandatory.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it looks great. And as for factory stuff, well only you and me know....lol

Old 10-13-2020, 12:56 PM

Could you send me the infomation about wiring for parking lights to stay on with headlights for 67 GTO, thanks Bob

Old 10-13-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The instructions are in the post at the top of this forum page. Here's a link to it.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=586289

Old 10-13-2020, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The easy way to do it is found on page two of the thread. Here is the context of the easy way.

Charles[ Old Goat 67] and I have finally figured it out... maybe a total of 6 hours phone time.... you DO NOT need a jumper wire for the headlights and parking lights to be on at the same time. We believe this applies to the 65 as well as the 66 and 67 headlight switch. And, it could possibly apply to other body styles also. You need to look at your switch and see if terminals 3 and 5 have the factory copper strap connecting them. And please, check your switch in these other body styles and report back here on your findings. This will save everyone looking to do this a lot of headaches from Jack Daniels.

Now on with the show. And first off, make sure your battery is disconnected.

You need to pull the wiring plug off the switch. You'll see a slot next to the terminal to push the wire into the wiring block from the side that plugs onto the switch.Take a stiff piece of wire , or a small screwdriver, slide it up into the slot and pop the Purple wire out of the block. This will collapse the tab that locks the terminal in the block. Pull the Purple wire out from the wiring side of the block. Then pry the lock up so it will lock in the new position. Look at your disconnected switch and you will see the Brown wire is in the #5 slot, which has the copper strap that connects it to the #3 slot which is empty. #3 is where you insert the Purple wire's terminal. Make sure it locks or you'll have no connection.

And viola, you now have the headlights and parking lights connected together so they are both on at the same time. It seems GM had this all set up from the start. Then some dummy said no you can't do it. That's why the jumper was thought of but not needed. So there's no need for scotch locks or a piece of wire for the jumper. And you won't ruin your wiring.

Thank ya Charles, you Old Goat... I love ya man. Charles and his wiring schematics actually made this happen. And without you this wouldn't have happened at all.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM actually was ahead of the game but didn't follow thru with it and kept them separate so the parking lights went out when the head lights came on. But the NTSB stepped in in 1968 and made them both on together mandatory. It was for safety reasons. Probably because of stories like below where stupidity reigned supreme.

Below is a true story and brings back some sad memories. I knew one of the guys involved. Only because I dated his sister. I had wanted to put this in that thread but thought it might not go over too well. Well I changed my mind tonight and hopefully more of you will do the conversion. And don't give me the excuse that it's they way it came from the factory BS. The NTSB changed that train of thought in '68.

A guy back up in Northern NY where I lived in the 70s died on a motorcycle because of a pre '68 car that didn't have the parking light on at night. He was riding to work at a paper mill for the midnight shift. His two buddies were supposed to get off work from the 4 o'clock shift at 11 but were late. They all rode their motorcycles to work every night during the summer months. The guy going to work didn't know they were late leaving work and at the same spot they met every night at the same time did what he always did. He'd meet the 2 and they'd split apart, then he'd pull into the left lane and ride between them, and pull back into his lane. Well he did it this night when he saw the two headlights approaching. His only problem was that is was a car not his 2 buddies. He hit head-on and went thru the windshield and out the back window. He didn't make it and died.

Now you know why I'm in favor of this conversion. Somewhere some place this could happen again, and probably has. Don't let it be you in the car without the parking lights on. I had my first GTO back then and wanted the parking lights on with the headlights but know didn't what was involved and how to do it. Hey, I didn't even know it was even possible to do. My thanks goes to Old Goat 67 for telling me what wire was involved. I only figured out how to get it done the easy way without ruining the wiring.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.