Old 03-30-2020, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim,rethink the elect fan.There have been many post on the subject where cars over heat on the highway.Tom

Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 PM
Senior Chief

Jim,

I installed factory A/C from a Star Chief into my 62 non A/C Catalina. Seems IF I remember correctly that the Power steering pump pulley was different on an A/C car VS a non A/C car. Cast into the pulley on my 62 is 8AC. Since only late build A/C cars got an alternator this might make a difference. On my 62 the crankshaft has 3 pulleys, one for the alt, PS & A/C. My 62 still has the original 389 motor in it if that makes a difference. I did this swap about 12 or so years ago and my memory isn't the greatest.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

T.Weber, I’ve seen the add on crank 3rd pulley before, that might be just what I need to get this thing lined up!
Thanks

Old 03-31-2020, 12:04 AM
Senior Chief

Jim,
I think the 3rd pulley on the crank is for the A/C compressor. I'll double check as soon as I get home from work tomorrow. I think the second grove is for the alternator. I don't think it would make up the 2" difference you need. Again, I'll get out the tape measure and double check as soon as I get home from work tomorrow - 5pm California time.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 62 GP with factory A/C, but it has a generator. The third (front) crank pulley is for the A/C compressor.
Les

Old 03-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 61/62 P/8 without A/C the rear pulley groove on the crank/wp served the gen. The front pulley groove crank/wp and ps.

Then when A/C was added the crank and water pump pulleys changed both diameters and backset. When this was done the FRONT pulley now served the crank/wp and gen. The REAR pulley now served crank/wp and ps. When this happened the ps pulley had the "AC" added to the casting marking and the diameter changed from the previous 5 5/8 to 6 3/8 diameter to compensate for the change in crank pulley diameter. The pulley also changed in backset by 3/16 so the belt ran closer to the ps mount and to the engine. The REAR belt in this application was now the crank/wp/ps and the FRONT belt was now for crank/wp/gen. An additional pulley was bolted to the crank which just fit inside the revised crank pulley and serviced the A/C compressor.

For 62 P/8 the 42A and 52A alt mounting bracket is 542838. Listed simply as P/8 with no A/C or non A/C notation. Then just to keep things confusing there is a listing for 61/62 P/8 A/C a mounting number of 538782 for 60A alt. 63 all (P/8 and T/8) 37A and 42A alt mounting bracket is 544556.

But pulley diameters and backsets only seem to change with Non A/C to A/C applications and not with gen/alt amperage ratings.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great info. I was hoping to just use a 63 alternator mounting bracket and make it work. Now it looks like I need to match up crank pulley, WP pulley, pS pump, and alternator. Is the simplest solution to find a 63 ps pump w mounting bracket and 63 pulleys for WP and Crank and Alt? Which I think I have the 63 alt bracket. Thanks for helping.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your bracket is a 63 then you would probably need to source all 63 mounts and pulleys to be sure belts would line up. Stuff comes through e-bay sometimes but you can never be sure if the description is accurate and most pulleys don't show a par number. I spent most of 10 years assembling what I wanted to put Vintage Air in my 61. And I had to buy some stuff that was not right. But try Franks Pontiac in Calif. His listings sound like he knows what his stuff is.

Although I still think the simplest is to get a Powermaster 82051 and use all your original 62 mounts and pulleys. It bolts right in and looks original. May need a shorter alt belt and be sure to add a larger output wire off the alt as the amp output is too high for the factory wire.

Or reread the suggestions to forgo the electric fans and just keep what you have if it is working.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for everyone’s help. I shortened the WP mount and made it line up with the inner pulley, trimmed the alternator and fabbed a spacer to move it in to line up with the outer pulley. I can take pics if anyone else has this problem.