Old 12-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Biggest score of my life, was not a Pontiac but a 1970 Cuda 440 six pack convertible. It was 100% stock sitting in the back of a body shop for years. Every few weeks I stopped in to bust the guys chops to sell it to me. It was in rough shape. One day I get a call and he says $7000.00 and the car is yours. I went there the next day with a tow truck, this is when the story gets good.
I give him the $$$ he hands me a folder, original bos, window sticker, recall notices.... every piece of paper work possible. I tow it home put it in the garage call a muscle car dealer I know. 3 days later left my garage for $40,000.00
Guy has since put 175000.00 into the restoration.
There was 29 made only 19 4 speeds and this one was a super trac pack car!!
It is a 1 of 1 with the color combo Blue white top whit interior.
It will be going to barret jackson soon I hear.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Clone

Here is a 440-6 clone like what you're describing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70-cuda-conv-067.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	471282  

Old 12-31-2017, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Here is a 440-6 clone like what you're describing.
Yes I saw the car when it was done, I have to say it was one of the best restorations I have seen. I guess it better be for $175k!! I still have photos of the car and paperwork.
Funny part of the story, they tracked down the original owner ( his name was on the paperwork) He also bought a 70 hemi cuda convertible.
He use the 440 six pack to tow his small boat. It had a hitch on it when I got it. LOL

Old 12-31-2017, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Irish Mist.

A man was admiring my 65, he said he had almost bought one new in 65. As he talked he got mad and madder.

He went to the dealer cash in hand but no tripower 4sps were on the lot. He turned to leave and the salesman stopped him. If he could wait a few days they were expecting a "Special Color car. The man heard the car was going to be Irish mist, and he did like green anyway. A few days later the salesman called, the car came in.

The man got a ride to the dealers and was taken to the delivery area. About 40yrs had passed but he was still pissed! He said they tried to sell him a "DAMN". Purple car!!!!!!! He was still so upset I thought it best "not" to explain the Iris Mist Misunderstanding.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:33 PM
Suspended

Back in around 1976 I went to my local Pontiac dealer for a part for my '65 GTO. The parts guy asked the usual questions a parts guy asks about the car. When I told him it was a 4 bbl. 389 he said, "can't be". I said, "what do you mean, "can't be"? He said "all '65 GTO's came standard with a Tri-Power and that someone must have changed it". Before someone says that he must have been a new hire from a Ford dealer, he was not. The guy was there for years. I remember that like it was yesterday.

B.T.W.: Back then, the rear "Pontiac" potmetal trim piece was a little over $47.00. Ahhhh, if I had only known.