Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default Decided to part out my 64 Catalina convertible. Looking for ideas on value in parts

I have made the decision to part out my 64 catalina convertible. The body isn't in bad shape but the frame is rusted in front of the rear tire and finding a good frame has proven difficult. That combined with not having time to work on it at all I have decided to part with it.

I tried putting it up for sale complete but as it is mostly apart everyone wants it for nothing. I know the parts have more value than I was asking for the entire car. That combined with me being in Canada and this an American car, the market isn't great.

I am trying to get an idea what is most sought after on these cars and what the going price is for them? I know the convertible stuff is in demand (top isn't rusted, have spare top motor and cylinders, new top in box, good vent windows and new front window frames, ect).

I also have the manual pedal setup and I believe all but the clutch fork push rod as far as linkages and brackets, including clutch fork, bell housing and covers, 3spd HD manual (on the tree), and all correct linkages. (clutch pedal is HD as well, green spring still connected). Also have an original hard to find shift delete

I also have a vacuum gauge, a tach, all the side trim as well as a very nice trunk trim. A very good rad support, professionally restored 64 carter 4bbl carb, nice set of back up lights, NOS front lower fender trim (the pot metal ones that are always pitted) and LOTS of other odds and ends in nice shape.

I have spent the last 10 years gathering up all of these parts and came to the realization that I will never get to see this car finished. So its time to let it all go.

Any advice on what some of these parts are worth would be appreciated. I plan to start listing some in the classifieds shortly.

For reference I am in Ontario Canada.
Thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to hear that. But if the project can’t be done, I wish you the best.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
I hate to hear that. But if the project can’t be done, I wish you the best.
Thanks. I wish I had the time for 2 but working 6-7 days a week really limits my time and 2 kids with disabilities limits the funds.

I am not looking to get rich on this, just trying to recoup a portion of what I have spent into it in the last number of years. Going to be more than fair on pricing things...just not sure where to start on some. Don't want to give it away, nor do I want to ask too much as if I'm trying to rip someone off.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:38 PM

I am interested in the heavy duty (Dearborn) 3 speed trans. It would be going into a 65 Catalina. I live in Kitchener. Please email me your contact info so I can call you. My email is <a421cat@gmail.com>.

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

What rear gear does it have? Posi?

Old 04-29-2019, 10:02 PM

Parting out a car is a lot of work and it may take many months or even years. Bulky or heavy items may not be worth the cost to ship them to most potential buyers, stifling sales. You might end up with a lot of unsold parts that you will likely end up scrapping.

I’d consider quickly reassembling the car enough that it looks more complete and more easily transportable, so it doesn’t look like a basket case. Then you can get a somewhat better return on it as a whole. Advertise it worldwide, don’t depend on local buyers who may not be willing to pay but a pittance for it.

Sell off the nicer smaller pieces separately from the car, they offer very little added value when thrown in with your project car as part of the deal.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interested in the heater control if it's works and non ac.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

100% agree with b-man's post. Parting out a car like this could wind up to be a lot more trouble that it's worth.

Put the car back together (as much of it as you can) and advertise the entire car as a project. You have to find somebody who really wants that car but a convertible with a rusted frame is not going to bring in people with $.

The scrap value of the metal is where you are at rock bottom. You are probably going to loose money on this whole deal but better to broom it out all at once than let it drag on for years. Kind of like pulling off a band-aid.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:24 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have already considered putting it back together to try to sell it that way but it's not really an option. I am in no major rush to sell it off but plan to strip it down into pieces and sell off lots. I already have lots of interest in all the convertible only parts and will recoup a lot of what I wanted for the entire car that way. I have the manual parts that are always sought after (pedals and bell housing anyway). The body panels are nice and clean and are no big issue to store as most of them are already off and put out of the way. All the small items are stored in my storage area above the garage and there's a lot of really good parts in that as well that are hard to find.

It's a shame but the reality of it is what it is.

As to Arowhed, non posi, unsure as to ratio. Will try to check and see
As to Hobbygto I have 2 heater controls, both non AC. I will try to confirm operation and let you know. I'm pretty sure they both were in decent shape last time I looked at them. Again it will be a little bit as time has REALLY become a factor these days, and family ALWAYS comes first.

Thanks again all for the ideas. I appreciate all the input.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 AM
Senior Chief

Update: So I surprised myself by sticking to what I decided and parted out the car. I already sold off the vast majority of the parts and have recouped more than I was initially asking for the car and still have parts left to sell. By the beginning of next month I will only have the 3spd manual HD trans and linkages, hood, trunk lid, doors, fenders and dash left over, all of which are rust free, just will take a little longer to sell (hate to scrap such solid clean parts, but we will see). Car body will be scrapped by beginning of July, so just over 2 months was way faster than I expected to go through most stuff. People were really happy to buy lots as I was selling well below the going rate and WAY below Ebay rates. Glad to see people saving other cars even if it's at the cost of this one.

I'm sure eventually I will be back in the Pontiac world as I have always loved Pontiacs but for the time being I will be focusing on my 63 Dart and 60 Bel Air Sport Coupe.

Hobbygto I will be sending you a PM shortly about the heater control if you are still looking. Never forgot, just only got to look at it this week.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 AM

Always sad to hear about a car getting scrapped, but it is good that you've been able to find buyers for the parts. The big stuff that's left is still desirable, but I imagine the problem will be in shipping them because of the size.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Senior Chief

I know. They don't take up an excessive amount of room so I will just store them for a while to see if someone reasonably close can use them. Selling them cheap too. ��

One question though so I know how to list it. Is the convertible trunk lid unique or is it the same as Catalina coupe or other models? I know my 60 Bel Air is coupe only. Convertible is the same as sedan and 4dr hardtop. I just want to list it correctly

Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM

If you have a membership here on the PY forums, you can use the online parts lookup feature to figure out what cars a particular part will fit. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...play.php?f=567

Old 06-30-2019, 07:03 PM
Senior Chief

Other issue I've ran into is that being in Ontario Canada and this being an American car the market for the lower area isn't that big. For example, I know how hard it is to find a nice trunk pan... Mine is actually really good with the only rust in the mount area that is reproduced. Only one small but if interest in it but for a Buick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190630_185741.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	515114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190630_185732.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	515115  

Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Senior Chief

Better picture of trunk floor. Kills me to scrap it but too big to ship. Never even had to cut the rear most brace bolts... They came out easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_170734.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	515219  

Old 07-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
Better picture of trunk floor. Kills me to scrap it but too big to ship. Never even had to cut the rear most brace bolts... They came out easy

Do you still have the car? Wondering if it had good quarters around the wheel wells? Mine are shot both sides passenger in front of the wheelhouse, driver behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:35 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry, nothing left now. Just a few days ago a guy came by and bought what was left. He couldn't shake my hand fast enough when I gave him a price for remaining parts. Glad to see someone get use out of it all, but disappointed to see it go as well. Was really looking forward to getting it on the road...but life goes on.