Old 07-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Available headers for 1962 Grand Prix?

Son-in-law has the chance to pick up a 62 Grand Prix basket case, but he's wondering how difficult it would be to find headers that will fit. He's got a short block built and getting ready to order out aluminum heads and would like to go with round ports, but that looks like it would further complicate the header issue.

What is the difference in the 62 chassis vs 65 and later where header companies like Dougs only list 65-70 D-port headers? Seems like if the cast long branch D-port exhaust manifolds fit 60-70 why won't the headers fit earlier bodies? On my 65 2+2 we ended up fabbing up a new cross member since exhaust kickups were in the wrong place on the stock crossmember so that wouldn't be a problem.

Any manufacturer currently making D-ports and/or round ports that will fit a 62?

Old 07-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

61-64 are the same and a friend bought a set of Maddogs and he HATED the fit of those.FWIW,Tom

Old 07-29-2019, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mick, I would seriously consider using the RARE round port manifold, assuming that they'll fit. I've heard both good and bad about Madddog headers. A buddy of mine had a set of headers made of his '64 Catalina 2+2 but they weren't cheap.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Tom, you might hook Mick up with your custom header maker...of course that won't be cheap...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

im going to try a new local guy in the month or so.Waiting for my RA V engine to get finished.The guy with the 64 turned me on to him.His work looks very nice.Tom

Old 07-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had a old time custom header maker, "Smiley's Custom Headers" make both sets of headers for the Grocery Getter Replica we ran for 17 years. 3 step, tight beautiful bends on a round port platform to fit a 63 Tempest. They were beautiful and fit great. He was in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (SP?) I don't know where in the state that is? He made the headers which fit first time from pictures I sent him of the engine in the chassis and tape measure shots from different angles. Amazing, actually. Not sure if they are still in business.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Mick, I would seriously consider using the RARE round port manifold, assuming that they'll fit. I've heard both good and bad about Madddog headers. A buddy of mine had a set of headers made of his '64 Catalina 2+2 but they weren't cheap.
Ram Air Restorations only shows D-port factory long branch cast iron manifolds available for the 60-70 B-bodies. Ken Crocie suggested that the firebird round port manifold might fit but not according to RA's site. Closest I can come up with is possibly the RM-4-OS round port. Here is what the Ram Air site has for fitment: "Fits 68-79 GM A-body; 70 1/2-81 F-Body; 69-77 G-Body, 69-81 B-Body..." So they are not listed as fitting first gen Firebirds which I believe is the nearest fit to the early B-bodies. I left a message with Ram Air and will see what they say.

Also I started looking with Pypes but couldn't find any cast iron manifolds listed on their current site. Don't know if the problem was with them or my searching. A photo of a manifold came up with "no results" listed - then I tried 67 GTO D-port manifolds and didn't get any results.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken is thinking about the same manifolds I suggested. An old buddy of mine (now deceased) ran original RAIV manifolds on his ‘72 Grand Ville before he switched to custom headers. I’m not sure as to the difference in clearance between the early and late “B” body platforms.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-30-2019, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found first gen long branch fit 61-64 big cars with a switch of the thick oil filter adapter.The first gens use the thin one and the big cars use the thick one.I will ask him if that is the case this weekend at Norwalk.Tom

Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I thought that Pypes no longer offers their cast manifolds, thought I read that here???

Anyone else have info???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He only shows D port long branch on his site.Will ask him about a run of round ports this weekend.Tom

Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Parts place only shows D port long branch also

Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Senior Chief

I’m building a ‘62 Cat wagon now and got a set of ‘67-68 Firebird Hedman 1 7/8 roundports to work. I moved the engine back 1” , ground the corner off the steering box cover and slightly dented that one tube by the box cover.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
We had a old time custom header maker, "Smiley's Custom Headers" make both sets of headers for the Grocery Getter Replica we ran for 17 years. 3 step, tight beautiful bends on a round port platform to fit a 63 Tempest. They were beautiful and fit great. He was in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (SP?) I don't know where in the state that is? He made the headers which fit first time from pictures I sent him of the engine in the chassis and tape measure shots from different angles. Amazing, actually. Not sure if they are still in business.
Cucamonga is only about 35 miles due west of us down the I-10 freeway. We got in contact with Smiley and he's doing fine in retirement - but he plans to stay that way and we couldn't talk him into coming out of retirement.

Son-in-law called Mad Dog and their guy that did a lot of their custom stuff is also retired, but they gave us his number and my son-in-law reached him also. From what I understood he has the blessings of Mad Dog to do the one-off stuff, and it's a possibility that he could weld up a set. He only works half the year doing the odd jobs and then leaves the area. Rather a long time schedule anyway for this build, so timing wouldn't be much of a problem.

Good to know where the interference is with the Firebird headers. It also might be cheaper to pick up a set of uncoated Dougs and have the modifications done to a few tubes than start from scratch.

Then again, if we can score a set of round port cast manifolds that fit it might be worth the slight horsepower loss for the ease of installation.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to Paul at Norwalk,he is intending to have round port long branch again.There is a issue with the mold maker getting them done right.He is very frustrated not having them to ship.Tom

Old 08-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I talked to Paul at Norwalk,he is intending to have round port long branch again.There is a issue with the mold maker getting them done right.He is very frustrated not having them to ship.Tom
Good thing to know!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 9779494 and 9779495 long branch manifolds fit the '61-'64 chassis very well. I had a set on my '62 GP with a Tripower 455. Surprised a lot of Camaros and Mustangs.

The round port version has been promised for several years now, but non have been produced. There was an OEM pair at Norwalk priced at $1500. I bought the D port ones for $300.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan