Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Inner and Outer Glass Channel Weatherstrip Choices

Hi Guys, I am looking for the glass weatherstrip with the thin chrome bead. Ames sells GM, RE and APE versions.

I don't always jump at the GM part as sometimes they are not the best.

What should I go with.

Thanks

FF601R 1970-81 Inner Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip, RH (GM).............................................. .................................................. ............... 69.00/ea.
FF602 1970-81 Inner Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip (APE)............................................. .................................................. ....................... 69.00/pr.
FF603L 1970-81 Outer Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip, LH w/Stainless Steel Bead (GM).............................................. ........................... 89.00/ea.
FF603R 1970-81 Outer Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip, RH w/Stainless Steel Bead (GM) .................................................. ...................... 69.00/ea.
FF604 1970-81 Outer Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip, w/Stainless Steel Bead (APE)............................................. .................................. 79.00/pr.
FF605L 1970-81 Outer Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip, LH w/o Stainless Steel Bead (GM) .................................................. ................... Disc.
FF605R 1970-81 Outer Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip, RH w/o Stainless Steel Bead (GM).............................................. ....................... 75.00/ea.
FF605T 1970-81 Outer Window Glass Channel Weatherstrip, w/o Stainless Steel Bead (APE) .................................................. ......................... 79.00/pr.
FF606D 1970-81 Complete Inner & Outer Glass Channel Weatherstrip Set w/Stainless Steel Bead, 4-Pc. (RE).............................................. ..... 139.00/set
FF606F 1970-81 Complete Inner & Outer Glass Channel Weatherstrip Set w/o Stainless Steel Bead, 4-Pc. (RE) .............................................. 139.00/set

Old 08-18-2019, 02:43 PM

I'm interested to see the opinions on this one as well.....I'm no help unfortunately

Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer to get GM ones, when available. I've bought several sets from GM Parts Direct and they look and fit well as expected. I suggest checking their prices. GM part numbers for the standard outer sweeps with small stainless bead are:

9612538 for RH
9612539 for LH

The inner sweep numbers are:

8808230 for RH
8808231 for LH

So, I'd get GM's first when available. If not available, the reproduction is the only choice, and they may be fine. I don't have much experience with the repros other than on one of my 79 TA's, I'm actually using some slightly used repro standard outers, that were given to me by a friend, and they've been good, no problems.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard that the repros dont fit all that well. This is a part that is still GM available. Hope I dont step on toes, but I bought one set from Ames (gm), it still had the sticker from the local Cadillac garage they got it from. I have since bought 2 more sets from gm parts direct. This is a part to not skimp on price. The real stuff doesn't cost that much. This is for the outers. I put new door panels from legendary that were pre-assembled and they came with the inner sweeps attached.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I have heard that the repros dont fit all that well. This is a part that is still GM available. Hope I dont step on toes, but I bought one set from Ames (gm), it still had the sticker from the local Cadillac garage they got it from. I have since bought 2 more sets from gm parts direct. This is a part to not skimp on price. The real stuff doesn't cost that much. This is for the outers. I put new door panels from legendary that were pre-assembled and they came with the inner sweeps attached.
Thank you. Are these GM parts new old stock, very old rubber.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, they look new with bar codes on the GM packaging.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And as TAKerry said, the new reproduction assembled door panels come with new inner sweeps already on them. So, if you will be buying new door panels, you don't need to buy more inner sweeps.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the window sweeps are new parts, no dry rotted rubber. At one point I had an extra set of inner sweeps, not sure if I lost them in the fire or not. You need to be careful when ordering these as there is a bit of confusion. They list plain and for cars with the decor trim package. The ones with the small chrome bead are the plain ones. The ones for the décor package have no trim on the sweep itself.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
You need to be careful when ordering these as there is a bit of confusion. They list plain and for cars with the decor trim package. The ones with the small chrome bead are the plain ones. The ones for the décor package have no trim on the sweep itself.
Yes, and the GM part numbers I listed above are the correct numbers for standard trim outer sweeps, which are the ones with the small round stainless bead made into the sweeps. Those are the ones that allenga said he was wanting.

The sweeps for the optional Decor trim, that are plain rubber with no stainless bead on them, have different part numbers. To explain further, the reason the Decor sweeps are plain with no bead on them is because with the Decor option, the car comes with thick stainless trim moldings attached to the top of the doors. So, the outer sweep doesn't need any trim on it, since the Decor option adds the molding at the top of the door.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my sweeps from Rock Auto. I cant remember the manufacture, but they fit really good and were cheaper than other offerings.

I did mess up once and ended up with a set of plain rubber ones.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Half the time the ads explain which trim they have, they make it worse. You may know exactly which you need but unable to tell what they are selling. Or in one instance with FirebirdCentral which may have been fixed by now, is that the ad was confusing, but then featured photos of cars with and without the decor strips as examples of the seals installed.

Simply put, the car should always have one bright decor molding at door tops, large or small, Not 2 and not none.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I got my sweeps from Rock Auto. I cant remember the manufacture, but they fit really good and were cheaper than other offerings.

I did mess up once and ended up with a set of plain rubber ones.
x2 on this. i have used the original GM from GM parts direct & like many GM parts, they are not perfect, they fit good but not perfect.

but i tried the ones from rock auto on 2 other cars, thought they were worth a try for the huge price savings & they are actually pretty nice, not quite as nice as GM but they fit surprisingly well. these sweeps can be difficult to install to get to fit right, i recall elongating one or 2 of the screw holes to allow it to fit down tighter to the door skin on one, but real easy to do with a rat tail file.

first pair i got about 5 years ago were very cheap, like $18ea but they have since raised the price a little but still well worth it. & after seeing many of the repros sold by the big companies, they look to be the same parts, so save some $$ & buy from rock auto if you cant afford GM's.