Old 09-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az
Default Going cross country (again) in a 1972 GTO 455HO WW5

There has been much talk and topics here concerning WW5 GTOs and I think that is great. Afterall, a WW5 optioned GTO was Pontiacs ultimate effort at a real high performance, true road touring and handling GTO, right? Obviously the best overall performance ( and most expensive ) GTO.
Well, it seems I am the only one really driving one. Am I correct? I don't mean a few whimpy thousand miles a year, I mean really driving and enjoying ownership of having suce a rare and great automobile as a WW5 GTO.
This one I have had since '83. I just love it, I cannot tire of it. Everytime I get in to go to the store or a ride or whatever, I just love it! The newness and excitment has not worn off a bit. You guys should try it, you may like it. I just cannot wait to get in it the next time for another thrill ride in such a fine piece of Pontiac performance history.
I've put about 130,000 miles it her in the last 7 years. Last Friday, I have started another extended road trip in my WW5. I have already put 3,000 miles on her since Friday ( 5 days ) and more tonight. This trip alone will probably be 6-7,000 miles.
The car is a real pleasure.
I even tow with it. In fact, I just finished towing a '75 Trans Am with my WW5 from Phoenix to Columbus, Oh. It tows just great!
So far, I've had her through the mountains and deserts of Az, then, Nm, Tx panhandle, OK, AR, TN, KY, and OH, then back through Ky and TN. We'll be back into OH, Pa, NY, IN, IL, MO, KS, at least.

Everyone loves the GTO! Kids love it, geezers love it, gals love it. I only wish more people would really drive them instead of being focused on being able show one.

so, if you see a red '72 GTO on the roads and hiways, say hello!
And thanks to Pontiac for building such a great road car!

More later..
Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org
"Real Pontiacs only...no corporate nonsense!"

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 09-26-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with you Steve. If you own one, drive it! If you're looking for an investment, get a 401(k) or buy real estate. IMO

Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My hat is off to you Steve. I drive my Pontiacs as much as is practicle for me. We're still hoping to take the Bonneville all the way across the country next year.

If you make it as far as CT I'll take you out for a nice dinner, or some home cooking if you prefer!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve ... ditto .... come to Michigan and we'll burn 'em up together ... I drive my car alot also. Dinner on me!

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a '72 convertible, original 350 2 BBL, TH350 that I have put a 425 Hp 455 and 3.55 posi in that is my daily driver from April to November as long as it isn't raining. Everytime I get behind the wheel it feels great.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless
If you make it as far as CT I'll take you out for a nice dinner, or some home cooking if you prefer!
I'll pick up the bar tab.

Glad you are enjoying the car!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Thanks for the nice replies everyone. I am just out driving and enjoying the USof A in my GTO. If that doesn't put a smile on your face, i do not know what does.
After driving in pretty heavy rain in Kentucky for about 4-5 hours, it has stopped. I even had some "KFC" while I was here to see if it is any different. Nope, it tastes the same as it does in Arizona and that is a good thing as I love KFC too! he he
For today, it looks like southern KY, OH and maybe WV.
I have taken some pics of the trip and will post them here but, I still don't know how to do it. Geeez, that makes me feels pretty small. I understand the instructions here, it is just my pics are always too big. i have to reduce their size. I'll work on it.

Go out and drive those great Pontiacs! It's fun!

"Real Pontiacs only....no corporate nonsense!"

Hosting-
Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

My hat is off to you, Steve!

I enjoy driving my Pontiacs as well, and will most likely NEVER own one that I feel that I can't drive. But, considering the awful congestion here, as well as the number of poor/drunk/unliscensed/uninsured (etc) drivers on the road these days, I can't bring myself to risk driving my old Pontiacs except to cruise nights, shows, etc.

Steve - your ARE the man! If you ever get to SE Texas, be sure and look me up, my friend.

Good luck with the remainder of your trip, and have fun.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve:
I've posted a link below to an online image resizing service that is free and easy. I use the "On Your Own" option because it will let you custom size the resized image to exactly match the size limits on the forum. Check it out and post some pics. We would love to see your car (and you too) in various locales along your journey. Be safe and have fun. Here's an idea, you can do a burn out in each state you travel through and then you can lay calim to the record for the most burn outs in multiple states by the same GTO. Just think how cool that will look on your resume

http://www.resize2mail.com/

Old 09-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to adhere to that creed... but unfortunatly not all areas of north america are actually condusive to driving a classic all year round.

I used to drive my '70 Formula year round - from 95(when I bought it and started driving) up to 2000, it was my primary car - with only occasional other cars brought into the picture for winter driving... the key factor in parking my firebird was that in 2000 I was spending $200/week on gas to drive the car, and only clearing about $500/biweekly... :^O

Actually that was probably one of the better driving winter cars I've ever driven...

unfortunatly I bought the car from an area that has been salting for decades, and it already needed work when I bought it... now it sits awaiting my time and financial devotion to fix it right (before it gets to the point of no return!)

At least I now have a garage to park it in(!)

here's the car (warning there are some scary pictures of the car's dialy driver mishaps!!):
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/314616

Here's my "new" pontiac that I can actually afford to bag on all week (it's actually alot of fun to drive - the poor reviews that rags like collectable automobile magazine, write about this car drive train are definatly unwarranted in my opinion)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2388205

Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I drove mine all over the great state of Texas (can drive for days and never leave the state) when I had it,took it with me when I moved to Wisconsin for a few years too,though it was garaged up there during winters for obvious reasons.

The Trip to and from Wisconsin were super!!!

1200+ miles each way,and I'd do it in a moment if I had my WW5 back.

I agree my WW5 455 H-O was a very nice and fun road car,ergonomics are good for the era,ride quality is tops,listening to exhaust growling down the highways,the constant "thumbs ups" folks throw your way,yeah,king of the road baby.

Yeah,I miss that car at times,have thought about finding/making another,but I'm really into the racing thing lately,and I had a '72 firebird practically just fall into my lap for a "driver" and I never owned an F-body yet,so maybe someday down the road...

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Steve, have a safe trip and enjoy the view. If you ever get to Florida, be sure to look me up. Pictures of our cars on the beach together would be very cool.

I drive my car as much as I can, in fact we have an all GM show in Ocala next week which is about a two hour drive and I'm really looking forward to it!!

When you get pics to post, you may want to start another thread...it would be great reading!!

Again, have a safe trip and keep us updated.

Mike

Old 09-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sat PM- back in OH for a few days. Last night late I made a thrilling twisty turning romp on hwy 73 from Portsmouth to the Dayton area. I pushed the chassis hard but never needed to use the back of the carburetor. Today visited with some PY members. Tonight to Cleveland to tour the USS Cod on Sunday, a WWII submarine. The museum closes tommorrow for the winter so that is my last chance. Wanted to visit the Neil Armstrong museum today but ran out of time yik yaking with Pontiac guys. that's OK, it was worth, it. I will go ther on the way back.
I am also now on phase II of my towing portion of the trip. I already dropped off the Trans AM several days back. Now, I have converted my tow dolly to a trailer and am hauling quarter panels, floor sections and other parts to PA and NY this week.

Still working on pics.

Car has been a thrill and very enjoyable to drive!

This WW5 is not a stocker. As good as they are, me being a hot rodder, can never leave anything alone so.... I improved the WW5 years ago with...

*It now has 4 wheel disc brakes, manual, no booster
* Polished 8" snowflake wheels with arrowhead center caps.
* Tires- Dunlop GT Qualifiers- 265/50 front, 295/50 rear. I just love these tires!!
* custom reciever hitch that goes through the rear valance instead of hanging under it
* larger gas tank to improve range
* trunk battery, yellow optima
* fiberglass front bumper
* Recaro LS seat with back seat upholstered to match, they recline and are quite comfy to sleep in too
*400 watt stereo with a pair of 12" subwoofers. A mint original, engine turned dash insert is in storage for when the car is restored
* 1 1/4" TA front bar. Custom frame work in front to use TA center link, pitman and idler arm for very fast steering.
More later, still working on pics
3,625 miles so far

Steve Barcak www.pontiaicheaven.org

Hosting-
Old 09-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well, here goes what should be my first pic on PY.
Thanks Overuled for the link

Here I am on the intersate ( literally) entering Kentucky for my first time ever. The Trans Am towed pretty well but, a weld broke that morning on the left fender and I opted to remove it instead of the potential of it ripping the tire. I have since had it welded and i bolted it back on.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpQcnf3X.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	106325  

Hosting-
Old 09-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Suspended

I AGREE,DROVE MY 69 JUDGE RAGTOP ABOUT 300 MILES YESTERDAY.EVERYBODY SAYS THAT THEY CANT BELIEVE I DRIVE THE CAR.I SAY,THAT IT WHAT PONTIAC BUILT THEM FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAVE DRIVEN CAR ABOUT 1200 MILES SINCE THE GTO NATS.DONT WORRY,ITS INSURED.OH YEAH,IT GOT CONCOURS GOLD AT THE 07 GTO NATIONALS.THE POSI UNIT WORKS GOOD TOO,I TEST IT THE EASY WAY~!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, Now that I can post pics. here are a few from the first leg of the trip. One gassing up at the TA in Amarillo. The next one is on the fwy in Oklahoma city. If you look close, you can see the skyline in front and the white Trans Am I am towing in the mirrors.
this is fun!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphptJs7EY.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	106329   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphp9vJHqs.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	106330  

Hosting-
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool Steve, drive safe.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve:
What a cool-looking rig going down the road. Don't see that set-up....ever. Glad the link worked out so we can now enjoy your progress through pictures too. Be safe and keep the photos coming.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Steve -
How 'bout some info on your hitch? Like, does it go below the valance, or did you have to remove the valance. Manufacturer?
TIA
cm

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oops. Didn't see the above msg 'bout the hitch going THRU the valance. That would be o.k. if I had a second valance. I'm thinkin' tho that there should be one that goes under instead. Anyone?
cm