Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Exhaust Guru

Steve, if you come back across I-70 through the KC, Mo area, you have two free places to stay. Give us a few minutes advanced notice and you are welcome to stop in for a break and some food and rest.
Tom

Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az
Smile

Thanks for the offer Tom. I really appreciate that. However, I am planning on picking up one of my stored cars near the middle of MO off of hwy 54 and then take 54 across southern Kansas.
That was nice of you.

Here is a pic of me and my WW5 HO with my good friend Brian Fitzgerald and his 455 endura '71 Lemans in Lottsville, PA. His car is Buccaneer Red ( 73-75). Mine is Cardinal Red ( 70-72). The boat behind his car is Pontiac powere. It is 6-71 blown, dual quads, Edelbrock heads, etc, etc. It is quite a thrill ride! we took it out Saturday.
Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org

"Real Pontiacs only....no corporate nonsense!"

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I guess the pics did not go through. Let's try again....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpAMreuT.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	107378   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpIoWgyF.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	107379   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphp3y23ST.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	107380  

Hosting-
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Steve,

Say Hi to Brian and Collen for me. I wish I was out there in the boat with you guys.

Matt

Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Well, I have now traveled across Pennsylvania mainly on Route 6. It was a very pretty drive. Then to Steamtown near Scranton, then on to New York and Long Island. Yes, even though I am on day 22 I am still traveling further away from home.
It rained Friday for almost 24 hours and got much cooler. I can finally wear some of my sweatshirts, yea!
Hi Matt! I told them you said hi, they said the same back to you. They have a 1 year one, you know?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmpphpf8CxiL.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	107652   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphp3iuRSE.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	107653   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpj9CnbE.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	107654  

Hosting-
Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve:
It looks like you are just ahead of the fall color change. Should be some nice colors in the next week or so.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The fall colors seems to be changing slow indeed. There are some parts with great color. I put a lot of mileage in Pennsylvania. Zig zagging from most of the western part, northern part and central area. Here are some more pics in Pa from Thurs before Fridays rain.

All those leaves are pretty but, I am glad I do not have to rake them.

"Real Pontiacs only..no corporate nonsense!"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmpphpYWtjNc.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	107669   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	107670  

Hosting-
Old 10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default nice pic!

That picture out the window is awesome, just awesome.

I'm originally from the east coast, been in so cal for 10 years... that pic is enough to make me homesick.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve- thanks for sharing your journey, it is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat
That picture out the window is awesome, just awesome.

I'm originally from the east coast, been in so cal for 10 years... that pic is enough to make me homesick.
& i'm originally from so cal and been in the Mid-West for just over 10 years... i took out my Winter coat today, and that was enough to make me homesick.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the nice words guys. I experimented taking pics while driving a few years back and also really like the results. Seeing the hood in the pic while the car is in motion adds the feeling of being there.

Here are some pics from Friday at Steamtown near Scranton, Pa before I headed to Long Island.
If you are into trains, railroading and the steam era, this place is worth a look. There is a real, working turntable and some good displays.
I am not a rail road junkie but, I am a gearhead. I love most anything with a motor on it. The bigger or faster it is, the more I like it.

The WW5 has gone about 5,500 miles now. She got an oil change last week at my friends house. The car has been just fine. Wipers work good too!

"Real Pontiacs only...no corporate nonsense!"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmpphpFTHDVs.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	107681   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpOzfZDu.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	107682   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphp8WG0bT.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	107683   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpKdgDTa.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	107684  

Hosting-
Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, this trip keeps getting better almost by the day. This last week has been just wonderful going down the east coast and towards Norfolk. Then, after driving all over Virginia for 4 days, into West Virginia, then a small bit of Kentucky and now back into Ohio for a few days.
After that, it will be into Michigan, Indiana, Illinios and Missourri.
The '72 WW5 GTO has been just great on the road. I think the round port 455HO engine likes the trip as much as me if not more.
After checking the odometer last night, I have now exceeded 7,000 miles. I have zig zagged and doubled back and forth so much, I could have almost driven across the US a few times if I went in a straight line. Of course, WW5 cars are not all about straight lines are they (smile)?
Today is day 30 so I am now into my 5th week on the road with my GTO.

Here are some pics from last Sunday in Baltimore, MD and the B&O railroad museum.
More pics to follow.

remember folks.....they were made to be driven. These are not Duesenburgs.
I encouorage everyone to drive their vinitage Pontiacs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmpphp49rJJL.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	108513   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpkwSloR.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	108514   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpvjqgqE.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	108515  

Hosting-
Old 10-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics of BB64 USS Wisconsin at Norfolk, Va

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmpphp7arD1j.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	108692   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa 005.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	108693   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpPqY6xe.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	108694   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphprsKg3D.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	108695  

Hosting-
Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Steve

You are going to have to do a recap of the setup of your car (rear gear, spring rates, poly bushings?, exhaust and whatever else people need to make decisions about while building a car to be a real driver. Lots of good advise from people here but only a few may drive as much as you.

enjoy your travels

Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trip mileage is now 8,172 (!). Geez, I may exceed my 10,500 trip record in a GTO. This is now Wednesday which is day 34. In Michigan now. Had a lunch date in Tecumseh yesterday and dinner with friends in Ann Arbor. I think I will visit the Ypsilanti automobile heritige museum this afternoon, then find a laundrymat to do some clothes, then start to head to Indiana. There is a rail museum in the Elkhart area, then on the Grissom air museum on hwy 31 and head to the Indianapolis area.
I just left Ohio ( for the 3rd, and last, time on this trip) on Monday eve. Monday was spent at KRE with the Kauffmans, Sunday was spent with church in the morng then with PY memebers the Yosts and evening with family in Columbus. Saturday I drove across Ohio ( south to north diagonally) to visit the Neil Armstrong museum in Wapakeneta. Then on Sat eve, I found a local car show in Marysville while passing through. I ended up getting a room to stay at, dropped off my trailer and then went back and entered the WW5 GTO in the car show. It was a casual type car show, informal may be a good word to use which is is my favorite kind. I met a lot of nice people there and ended up winning an award. That was a nice experience.. People all over the country have all been very nice and friendly. Everybody everywhere just loves and adores the GTO but, few really understand what they are looking at ( 455HO and/or WW5 ignorant ). This is because nobody in the normal world gets to see one because mine is the only one on the road left in normal use which is sad. There is almost zero knowledge of GTOs after 1970 in the normal world. I am convinced that is why they are not bringing as much money as the earlier GTOs. People just know nothing about them.
This adventure has been just wonderful. The color in Ohio seems to be at its peak. Michigan now has much color too.

I'll be going through Indiana north to south and then through souothern IL and then into Missourri.
Kansas along hwy 54 and then to the panhandles of Ok and TX and into NM.
If anyone lives along that approx route and want to have a sandwich or something, let me know. I have met many PY members and other Pontiac fans all along the way and that has been very worthwhile.

Steve

Hosting-

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 10-24-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve ... Ipsilanti is less than 10 minutes from me. Come on by and I'll buy lunch AND we'll take the ragtop out for a spin!

Cell number is 908-208-7778

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

70ra455- Will do. I am just sitting at a rest stop on hwy 23 getting caught up on emails. The Museum doesn't open until 1:30.
I also am going to change to my winter thermostat which is a 195 for better heater output. I have set up my motor to run cool living in Az. Now, with the weather cooler with fall here, my heater doesn't work good enough. The motor takes an eternity to warm up. The stat change from a 160 to a 195 should cure that. If not, I can unbolt the top of the shroud and slide down some cardboard to get the motor to run warmer.

"Real Pontiacs only...no corporate nonsense!"

Hosting-
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve - the question was probably asked before... BUT what are your rear gears, stick or auto, rear tire diameter? How many miles did you average per day and what was the average cost in fuel per day?

I'm planning a road trip from LA, CA to Saratoga Springs ,NY.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Ponchofan Send a message via Yahoo to Ponchofan

Rustedgoat and triathlonx13, alot of the info your're looking for is on his webpage link. Here's the page that I think will help you guys in getting the answers you're looking for sooner:
http://www.pontiacheaven.org/MY%20STREET%20CARS.htm
Steve, I'll keep reading this thread like a great Novel. Awesome trip details and I'm sure many of us who can't do what you're doing, are living through you on this journey..
God Bless and safe travels always..
Abe

'72 Quazel Gold GTO, '70 Polar White GTO (RAIII), '77 SE, '78, '80 WS6 Turbo, Trans Ams, '72 Grand Prix SJ. All Gone...

Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ponchofan- Thanks so much for the nice words.

triathlonx13- Yes, as Ponchofam says, much info on my GTO is on my site. More specifically look on the "my streett cars" page.

I do not know my tire diameter. They are Dunlop GT Qualifiers 265/50 front aand 295/50 rear.
Rear gear is 2.56
Trans is 400THM
I do not know my averages per day to mile traveled or gas milage. Of course, gas mileage is not much. That is another reason why I am pulling a trailer/dolly. I pulled a complete '75 Trans Am from Phoenix to Columbus about a month backk on the first week of my trip. I have also delivered parts from my place to places in PA and NY. Hauling the car and the parts gave me almost $2,000 towards my gas bill which really helps. I know some must be laughing or maybe a bit critical of me having a hitch and pulling cars, boats and trailers with my rare car but, it really has a pratical side too. And, I am not hurting my car doiing it. The hitch unbolts and I have another valance for it.

I guess you could figure out my miles per day on your own if you wanted to.

thanks again for all the replies everyone. This has been a fun trip full of memeories i will have the rest of my life in this great piece of Pontiac history.

Hosting-
Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This has to be one of the best threads on the forum right now. Most of us would love to get in our GTO and do a long road trip like this if it weren't for life getting in the way. Hats off to you Steve for sharing it with us - I wish you were coming through Georgia but maybe next time. (Or maybe I'll just drive to AZ).

Be safe