Old 11-26-2014, 09:54 PM

Default My 56 transformation

I joined here and listed a few things for sale and figured I might as well actually participate. LOL Besides, I will have other stuff for sale and it's always a good idea to have more than 4 posts to your name.

So to start....this is my car. A 1956 Chieftain. I bought the car 6-7 years ago wrecked. I put it back together enough to drive a bit but....I took the interior out to do a custom interior. (not really a stock restoration guy). That isn't really what I wanted. Anyway, the car.

I'm in my 50's and customs just weren't what interested me. Some of you may have noticed the 61 Bonneville I had for sale (rougher than a cob). My friend had bought it out of a storage building 7-8 years ago. Someone had went to the trouble to put in a fresh 389 with a M-21 4 speed and then just let the car rot around it. I bought the car for the drivetrain to put in the 56. (yes a 55 nose)

We opened it up and it's like brand new inside. Came with tri-power. I'm going to stick with it.

So it really doesn't matter to me if you think this isn't the car to do this to but I don't care. LOL. I'm a long time Pontiac fan (more on that later) and it's going to be a long termer for me so I'm going to do what I want. 95% sure I am going with a straight axle. Bench seat 4 speed. The 316 is a good engine (was rebuilt not long before I bought it) and will likely be available at some point. Start to disassemble.

A lot to figure out and I'll probably need to find an original clutch pedal and linkage if anyone has a line on one.

My first car. (I'm on the left) 67 GTO Convertible.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3666 (1280x853).jpg
Views:	1806
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	382992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3694-20141114 (1280x852).jpg
Views:	1800
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	382993   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3695-20141114 (1280x852).jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	382994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3715 (1280x853).jpg
Views:	1759
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	382995   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto.jpg
Views:	1814
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	382996  

Old 11-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I for one like your car including the color. That engine and tranny combo will pick that car up a bunch over stock. And when you pop that hood at a car show you will get some oohs and ahs. I think I might want a different braking system on it with that kind of power available Not that you would ever get on it. I am not too sure how strong that rear end is on that year car. Keep us informed on your progress. This ought to be interesting.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a bad looking car to start with.Straight axle will look great!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice car. Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:33 AM

It's getting a dual reservoir and front discs. At some point I'm sure I will change the rear end. The 56 isn't weak but......

Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with the project and welcome to PY.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 11-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Good luck with the project and welcome to PY.
Yeah, I will probably have lots of questions for you. I really want to try and make the bellhousing mounts work.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the board ..
Don't worry about remarks....'tis your car man. I glad to see any pre-61 car made into a performance sleeper car...hail to the Darksider... It will be a neat gasser style ride...cool.. Please post progress..
I'm redoing my 60 NSS car back to a street sleeper and not looking back..
It's a 54K original car...Oh well..
FWIW: Might want to check out using a hydraulic clutch...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 11-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Welcome to the board ..
Don't worry about remarks....'tis your car man. I glad to see any pre-61 car made into a performance sleeper car...hail to the Darksider... It will be a neat gasser style ride...cool.. Please post progress..
I'm redoing my 60 NSS car back to a street sleeper and not looking back..
It's a 54K original car...Oh well..
FWIW: Might want to check out using a hydraulic clutch...

I have considered the hydraulic clutch. I'll see once I get that far.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's cool man, I just finished my 57 project so this will give
The guy's a new project to read up on. Like said before
Keep us posted on your progress these projects are fun to do .
Welcome and good luck with your car.

GT.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:59 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
... I really want to try and make the bellhousing mounts work...
If you were to use a '59-60 389, a '58 bellhousing could be bolted in and it has the bosses for the rear mounts. Maybe swap a '59-60 block into the 389 you've got?

Old 11-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
If you were to use a '59-60 389, a '58 bellhousing could be bolted in and it has the bosses for the rear mounts. Maybe swap a '59-60 block into the 389 you've got?
If the 389 was a 60 as opposed to 64 it certainly would have been easier. I'm not sure which would be less trouble now.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You probably wont leave yourself much room for exhaust options mounting it in the stock location so the factory clutch and rear mounting system to be used. I made rear trans mounts for mine but didn't use the factory mc on the frame. But not using that set up now the side Hurst mounts.

I sold my clutch pedal assembly to a member here, but the bell crank and linkage is the hard part to find. Mine was a manual trans car and gave up finding the set up. But do know where a complete set up is. But don't know if it's for sale or not. I can find out if you want.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 11-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Yes, thanks.....I am thinking I am just going to go all out. LOL. I would like to put the factory clutch pedal in.

My plan as of right now......I plan on getting the Speedway axle kit. I saw the partial built of the Safari and it seems to be a pretty close to perfect fit. Scarebird has a duel master cylinder that should mount in stock position.

I need to find a steel front cover. Fenderwell headers? Would I have to make them out of Pontiac flanges? Then clutch?

I should be able to get the 316 out next week. This is an odd build....not my garage but it's nice and big and heated but I can't just go out and work whenever I have the time. I'm not in a rush though so I have time to figure it out and find parts.

I've been stripping the 61 Bonneville of parts as the body is going to San Diego. (basically just the roof and glass to go on a 62 Belair).

Old 11-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At one time I had the headers that were on "old injun", the 56 Pontiac racer from the 60's from the previous owner that has it now. It has a 59 389 and 55 slant pan hydro. They were pretty rusted up and beaten to death and should have kept them to build another set from. The current owner of that car has the stick set up but he may be putting it in his. That's why I mentioned it would be an easier set up to just do a hydraulic throwout bearing deal.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 12-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Nothing to really update. I've been stripping the 61 as what is left of the body is going to San Diego California. (anyone need anything from this car before it goes off)? The guy is after the roof, glass and roof trim. I would have liked to have kept the rear end but I don't have one to replace it. It's not a posi unit so I didn't see any advantage in taking the guts.

As you probably can tell I've never done anything like this so I am noting what my plans are so far and any suggestions of a better way. Some of this might not be the most "traditional" but I'm also trying to make this as least complicated as possible.

I'm thinking I should just buy the Speedway straight axle kit? I'm also looking at buying their dual frame mount brake kit. I'm planning on using the frame as it is outside of boxing in the front of the frame.

I would like to find a stock clutch pedal and linkage but no luck there so far. (what years are the same? anything outside of 55-57?) Speedway also makes a frame mounted hydraulic floor pedal. This would seem to me to be easier than trying to hang pedals with associated linkage?

I want to get my parts lined up but I also don't want to be buying something and then find out it doesn't work or there is a better way. All suggestions appreciated.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How high do you want the front end to sit? Plans for wheels? I got a good deal on my truck axle, but prefer that look anyway with the holes I added. I had to put a little longer spring mount on to get the height I wanted.
A straight axle is going to even be higher than mine unless you go with a dropped tube axle. My build thread has plenty of pics if there are any measurements you need let me know if I can help.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 PM

Probably dropped tube. I don't want to go crazy high. I have a friend who says he is good with measurements. I guess I'll see.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Senior Chief

Glad to see you over here. I communicated with you on the HAMB. Here is a photo of a 58-60 Bellhousing to show the motor mount mounting holes on either side of the transmission bolt holes. It allows you to bolt a modern GM manual trans up to any 55-60 Pontiac engine and works with any 55-58 Pontiac chassis.
I'd rethink using the original stick pedal assembly unless you plan to get rid of the original 55-57 clutch linkage. It's a nightmare! All the pivot points [and there's a bunch of them] are a simple rod-through-a-hole setup and the metal-to-metal contact of those joints will wear. After about 6 of those pivots wear, it's damn near impossible to get a good clutch adjustment. I know, I fought this problem with my factory stick 57 pontiac as long as I owned it.........several times disassembling the linkages and welding up the holes, welding up the rod ends and grinding/drilling back to original specs, only to do it all again 20,000 miles later. I'd use a hydraulic throwout bearing if doing it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60pontbellhousing.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	383480   Click image for larger version

Name:	60pontbellhousing1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	383481  

Old 12-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks....my 389 is a 64. (came out of a 61) It took me awhile to straighten all the block/bellhousing info out. LOL

I'm thinking the easiest would be the Speedway frame mounted hydraulic clutch.