Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Shipping Costs Again

I read several complaints regarding high shipping costs with Ames but it is clear that the company does not believe lowering shipping costs for their customers is a high priority or any priority.
Yesterday I ordered a throttle cable for a Christmas gift for my son and was charged $16.00 in shipping. The order arrived today in a 12x6x9 box and the enclosed cable was in a small plastic bag. This item could have certainly been shipped in a padded envelope for much lower cost than $16.00. So who is in charge of shipping and has made the decision to say the heck with the customers? It is ridiculous.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is just sad. I'll bet they loose a lot of business to Ebay. most ship free. Then they send out emails telling us how competitive they are on prices? What's that matter if they make it up on the shipping end. It's all about my wallet.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Call and talk to them on the phone and voice your frustration. I needed a windshield wiper clip and the shipping was gonna be more than the clip so I told them to stick it in an envelope slap a stamp on it and I would take the risk. They did and I got my clip

Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I was told about two years ago when I brought it up in another thread, they're "looking into it".

They don't care.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Call and talk to them on the phone and voice your frustration. I needed a windshield wiper clip and the shipping was gonna be more than the clip so I told them to stick it in an envelope slap a stamp on it and I would take the risk. They did and I got my clip
My beef is that the customer should not have to direct them how to package the shipment. There should be someone in the shipping department that understands that a particular item can ship in a smaller container. Possibly they only have boxes and are told that everything ships in a box not matter how small.

I want to say that their customer service reps are really good and my main beef is the shipping costs.
I live about 1.5 hours away from Ames and I have driven there on occasion to pick up larger orders that get an "oversize" shipping cost added over and above the standard costs.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:24 PM

Default shipping

I said this over a year ago ,OVER SIZE BOXES FOR SMALL ITEMS,CRAZY,i have gone shopping at other companies and ebay as to not get ripped off with shipping expenses ITS KILLING THIS HOBBY

Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with everything said but some of the blame should be shared by the shipping companies. Even if items were properly shipped in appropriate size packaging, costs are still WAY too high!

When fuel prices starting climbing in 2008 shipping went thru the roof. Cost of food, everything was driven up as a result. For yeas now fuel has been half what it was and shipping costs STILL continue to increase every year! UPS and FedEx are PRICE FIXING!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
I agree with everything said but some of the blame should be shared by the shipping companies. Even if items were properly shipped in appropriate size packaging, costs are still WAY too high!

When fuel prices starting climbing in 2008 shipping went thru the roof. Cost of food, everything was driven up as a result. For yeas now fuel has been half what it was and shipping costs STILL continue to increase every year! UPS and FedEx are PRICE FIXING!!!!!!
This is what happens when you have a monopoly. What's needed is more competition.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been using the post office for a number of years now, in 90% of boxes that I need to send it's more cost efficient to send parts by post office than UPS or fedex ground.

UPS is a giant global company now and it's geared towards the most profit possible. A lot of shipping companies use UPS simply because is easier for them; even though it costs the people who order parts much more than need be. In some cases it's more than double what the post office would charge.

To a large parts seller who can generate 30,000 to $50,000 or more dollars in billable UPS shipping per year I am sure UPS will lease you a low or no cost computer; shipping software, cables & a printer. That as well as supply you with all the printer labels and stickers you could ever use.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Default Shipping Charges

To a large parts seller who can generate 30,000 to $50,000 or more dollars in billable UPS shipping per year I am sure UPS will lease you a low or no cost computer; shipping software, cables & a printer. That as well as supply you with all the printer labels and stickers you could ever use.

And they will pick up at your location to add to retailers convenience.

This is done throughout a lot of businesses in the country, not just Ames.
I recently ordered a chuck key for a 1/2" gas drill from a co. in Wi. The cost was 5.62. When asked how much shipping would be to the west coast she said she didn't know. It arrived UPS in a 6"x 8" padded envelope and the cost for shipping was nearly 21.-
It could have shipped USPS in a small box for 6.80. Only problem would have been for someone to go down to to P.O. and drop it off. Convenience for the retailer, the bottom line is padded for them and more cost to the customer. This has been going on for years.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a NRA member you can get a shipping discount through Fed Ex. http://www.nraba.org/benefits.aspx

Tim john---

Old 12-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames uses UPS, and they are close to I-91 (Vt). They have many box sizes they have made ( If you notice) . Did not see bags, or padded bags, but UPS has a very high quality rate with Ames. That is very important to all of us. Last couple years the major delivery people charge on size vs weight, so bigger , if not needed, isn't good for a box. That said , maybe the shipping DEPT always goes with safe I get mirror glass from Paragon, and they put catalogs in and break the glass, so I will just drive down to Ames.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

Default outrageous charges

I live in the Great White North, I was charged $60 postage for a 2 pound box roughly 8x8x10...which was manly filled with newspaper....B.S.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassman_67 View Post
I live in the Great White North, I was charged $60 postage for a 2 pound box roughly 8x8x10...which was manly filled with newspaper....B.S.
I ship to Ca, the package HAS to be priority for the US part, and its Not Flat rate, the rest is Canada post costs and Value claimed... Shipping North, or even South from Canada can be expensive, and its 80% the Canada side that has the bigger costs...

Old 12-25-2016, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The United States Post office sends two trucks per day to Inline tube to pick up shipments being sent out. They also provide them with all the boxes and tape they need. I'm fairly certain they would do the same for other companies wishing to save their customers money over the outrageous UPS costs. If eBay can do it and offer free or low cost shipping prices I believe others can as well. It just takes someone to try.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
The United States Post office sends two trucks per day to Inline tube to pick up shipments being sent out. They also provide them with all the boxes and tape they need. I'm fairly certain they would do the same for other companies wishing to save their customers money over the outrageous UPS costs. If eBay can do it and offer free or low cost shipping prices I believe others can as well. It just takes someone to try.
While this is true, all would be priority shipping, and even at Flat rate ( unless its tiny), would be similar to UPS. In fact UPS doesnt deliver any Tiny items, the USPS Does, while the UPS does their Parcels that need to Fly, same with Fedex.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
If eBay can do it and offer free or low cost shipping prices I believe others can as well. It just takes someone to try.
Trust me ebay does not offer anything for free, certainly not shipping. The seller is paying for it and that cost is passed on to the buyer in the price of the item.
ebay suggests their sellers offer "free" shipping to entice buyers to bid.

I recently had a tail light for an '02 GP shipped & the ebay seller paid $36.75 for USPS priority mail. I shipped the same tail light Fed Ex ground for $16.00.
USPS is good for smaller parcels, not so much on larger ones.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why would Ebay encourage sellers to offer "free" shipping? Because Ebay charges a Final value fee based to the total sale price..as well as "entice" a buyer..

Old 12-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Why would Ebay encourage sellers to offer "free" shipping? Because Ebay charges a Final value fee based to the total sale price..as well as "entice" a buyer..
ebay also get a piece of the shipping fee

Old 12-26-2016, 12:25 PM

While I completely agree we all like to save money wherever we can, one thing I tell myself when I think shipping may be a little high on an item is this. There is no way I can drive to Ames, or wherever for $15 or $20. Just something to think about.