Old 04-03-2019, 06:14 PM

Default 64 wagon frame

Looking at buying a 64 tempest wagon. Frame is rusted through.

Replacement options?

Old 04-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Obviously a LeMans or Tempest wagon will be a direct replacement. I'm fairly sure that a Malibu/Cutlass/Skylark frame can work (with possibilities of a little creative engineering).

Old 04-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/u...s/gtoparts.htm

This guy has a nice one.

Check him
out

My Bad. It is for a 72.

Check him anyway, he may have a line on one.
The 72 may work

IIRC the 64-67 is 3 inches shorter than the 68-72. Not sure where the three inches is though

Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe you could wrangle this one.I doubt he will sell the whole car

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-64-Tem...cAAOSwtwVcj6U0

Old 04-04-2019, 11:08 AM

That guy has a bunch of Pontiacs. And so.e others as well

Old 04-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went through this several years ago searching for a replacement frame for a '65. I forget all the details, but look up the dimensions of them. As I recall, (non-station wagons), a Malibu frame from this time period was significantly shorter than a Pontiac one. (Folks could cut down Pontiac ones, but it wasn't practical to go the other direction.)

Once you know what dimensions you are looking for, it'll make the search easier. If you've got a big budget - aftermarket options are available, as well.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My reference material is unavailable for the time being, otherwise I would check my resources for confirmation.

But going by memory, all Pontiac A body models were same wheelbase, including the 4 dr. sedan model and use the same frames. '64-'67 essentially interchange though there were changes year to year to improve the design and some variations within the year all resulting in unique p/ns, '64 in particular. The Pontiac wagon was 2 seat only.

Pretty sure the standard frame was used on the 2 seat wagon. Heavy duty boxed frame was standard on the convertible but optional on all other models.

Most Olds and Buick '64-'67 A body will work but beware, one or both offered a 3 seat wagon. IIRC, this frame was specific to the 3 seat wagon or perhaps it utilized the HD frame as standard. However, my memory says it was longer aft of the rear wheel arches. But many of the 2 and 4 dr models actually were built using the same frame p/ns as Pontiac was using, at least for '64 & '65.

The '67 GTO went to the TH-400 so the trans crossmember is relocated for the GTO specific frame but I think that is an easy fix.

IIRC, the spring perches for '67 changed, if you get a '67 you will need to use '67 springs. I think this applies to all BOP.

If you find one, get the p/n off it and then do some research here to be sure it is going to fit.

Rust often looks worse than it is. Lucky for me, my '64 convert had no frame rust issues but I've often wondered why you couldn't pretty easily replace corroded sections with welded in metal of proper thickness to save a frame. For what you might pay for a decent used frame that will still need to be stripped and powder coated, you could do a lot of "body" work on the original. I admit, I might not be familiar with one badly corroded by road salt.

Had a friend with a '66 Chevelle years ago, from the salted roads rust belt. His frame had rot at some of the body mounts. He had heavy washers welded in to fix it and was good to go.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:10 PM

So I COULD use a frame from a 4 door?

Old 04-05-2019, 03:20 PM

Yes u can use 4 door frame,I did just that to replace damaged frame on my 66

69 gto ,all#match,467,th400,3:55 Easton posi,resto completed may 2016. 427 hp/530tq. Stump puller with stock#62 , stock intake and qjet
Th400 gone. Tkx close ratio with .64 of
66 Pontiac Beaumont sport deluxe,BB 5sp tko 3:08 auburn 450hp 550 torque wife sold it
Old 04-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought all the wagon frames were boxed like the convertibles?

Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66beaumont View Post
Yes u can use 4 door frame,I did just that to replace damaged frame on my 66
Are you sure about that? He is looking for a frame for a wagon. In the Chevelle world (64-67s at least) the wagons and El Caminos have a longer frame than the coupes/sedans/convertibles. Is the same not true in the Pontiac A-body world? I'm pretty sure the Chevelle wagon/EC frames are the same length of the Pontiac coupe/sedan frames. Not sure about the wagon frames though.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned, the Tempest Wagon was only offered in the 2 seat version.

Pontiac specified the same non-boxed frame for it as for all other Tempest models EXCEPT the convertible (Tempest Custom or Lemans) which always used the boxed HD frame and whenever any other model was optioned with the available HD frame.

The Tempest Wagon did make use of some specific pieces on the Rear Axle Assembly which raised the rubber "snubbers". But the frame was not specific to the Wagon. In '64 the p/n was 9773002 for the boxed, 9773004 for the non-boxed. Late in '64, GTO convertibles got p/n 9777047 frame, a revised boxed frame with extra gusseting after a number of GTO frames experienced breakage. There was subsequently a specific GTO convertible frame p/n issued for '65, different from the standard boxed frame used for the Tempest Custom and Lemans convertibles. In addition to the PMD issued frame p/ns that were also used by Chevy, Buick, and Olds, PMD specified alternate Chevy issued frame p/ns for '64 & '65 Tempests, believed to have been specified by Chevy for the Chevelle wagon and El Camino.

There are a number of threads here that outline the p/ns and usage.

The Chevelle did use shorter frames, won't work. But the Chevelle Wagon and the El Camino did use the longer frame, same as ALL Tempests. I think the El Camino always had a boxed frame, not sure about the Chevelle Wagon.

There are also reports that the Buick GS and the Olds 4-4-2 always got a boxed frame in this time frame. I'm not sure that is supported by the '65 Olds A body Assembly Manual but no matter, either the boxed or unboxed can be used for a '64 Tempest Wagon.

Almost immediately at the conclusion of the '64 Model Year, PMD specified the '65 Tempest Frame p/ns for Service Replacement of the '64 Tempest Frame.

The PMD issued '65 Frame p/ns (again used by the other Divs also) were:

9780502 - All Tempest models except Convertible & HD Frame option
9780503 - Convertible models except GTO and HD Frame option
9780911 - GTO Convertible

PMD issued one more A body frame p/n for '64, 9773003.

They did NOT use it for the Tempest, it was specified for use on the '64 Chevelle except Wagon according to the Factory '64 Tempest Inspector's Guide. Presumably, not for use for the El Camino either.

Hopefully I haven't screwed this up. Still working without a net (no reference material), just memory and older posts.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Are you sure about that? He is looking for a frame for a wagon. In the Chevelle world (64-67s at least) the wagons and El Caminos have a longer frame than the coupes/sedans/convertibles. Is the same not true in the Pontiac A-body world? I'm pretty sure the Chevelle wagon/EC frames are the same length of the Pontiac coupe/sedan frames. Not sure about the wagon frames though.
My understanding is the same as yours, El Camino and Wagon interchange, not sure about the 4 door deal. Big car has always been separate from A-Body vehicles, even El Camino type vehicles.

Tom V.

I installed a 66 Georgia Frame under my 64. Michigan winters killed the original frame Boxed with no easy way to remove the salt over the years.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To clarify, the Chevelle convertibles, coupes, and sedans, including 4 dr. sedans, frames do NOT interchange with any Tempest.

The 4 dr. sedan Skylarks, F-85s, and Tempests use the same frames as the A Body Tempest 2 dr. sedans (Sports Coupe or "post" coupe), 2 dr. Hardtop Coupes, Convertibles, and Safari wagons.

The "short" type Chevelle frame was about 3" shorter than the Tempest frame from what has been posted in this forum in the past.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:35 PM

But the chevelle wagon and EC do interchange with tempest wagon?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

The Chevelle did use shorter frames, won't work. But the Chevelle Wagon and the El Camino did use the longer frame, same as ALL Tempests. I think the El Camino always had a boxed frame, not sure about the Chevelle Wagon..
Yes, the El Camino always had a boxed frame. The Chevelle wagons did not. I put an El Camino frame under my 65 Chevelle 2-door wagon as I was building it as a modest pro touring build and the boxed frame helped add some needed rigidity to the whole assembly. The EC frames used the same "boxing" pieces as used on the convertible frames. So, if the OP wants a more rigid Tempest wagon, an El Camino frame would be a good option.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:12 AM

Default Frame

You still looking for the frame. ?

Old 07-26-2019, 01:12 PM

I didn't get the car. Had to spend money elsewhere. Now I have some cash and haven't heard back from the guy.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I am parting over 400 Pontiacs here in Arizona. This includes a '65 Tempest s/w with a nice frame. It was originally a 326, std trans with a/c so, it has the bracket welded to the frame for clutch linkage. I will have a space at Norwalk but, not selling parts in the swap. I will be in the midway area promoting my annual Pontiac Heaven weekend Nov 1-3. Those are cool cars. facebook- Pontiac Heaven

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 07-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Interested sent PM