Old 06-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Default Master Cylinder/Booster Question for "62 Catalina

Got a few brake issues on my ‘62 Catalina that needs help from this forum:
1) Power brake pedal started to feel different the other day & soon began to “hiss” when applying the brakes. Pedal does not pump up with engine off and can hear air escaping while doing that. Have a hard pedal now as the brakes work fine in “manual” operation however. Guess the Delco Moraine booster has an internal leak and needs a rebuild or replacement. Any ideas on where to find one? Also wondered what is the usual failure mode?
2) Since I need to pull the booster now would be a good time to convert to a dual master cylinder & split the lines. Anyone have a source or part number? Planning to keep the drums at this time. Appreciate your help!

Old 06-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rock Auto lists a brake booster/master cylinder assembly, you'll have to look at the picture to see if it's a Moraine or Bendix booster. However, it is a single master.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a master cylinder from a 1967 Catalina on my 1963 with good results but I dont know if it has the same pushrod depth as 1962.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing you could do just to verify your failure situation is check the metal vacuum canister. These old units had a secondary vacuum storage container on top of the left inner fender. It's possible it has rusted out and has a hole in it rather than the booster itself. If you look at the rear of the booster you will see a T connector. One end gets manifold vacuum from the engine, the other goes to the vacuum container. Take the hose off at the T to the canister and cap it. Then start the engine and see how it sounds and how the booster feels. If it's the same, the booster is at fault. If it's better, the canister has rusted out. Also verify the hose from the engine to that T for leaks. If you want to go dual MC, that's a different situation. You would probably want to change the booster and MC and do away with the extra canister. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56GMC View Post
Got a few brake issues on my ‘62 Catalina that needs help from this forum:
1) Power brake pedal started to feel different the other day & soon began to “hiss” when applying the brakes. Pedal does not pump up with engine off and can hear air escaping while doing that. Have a hard pedal now as the brakes work fine in “manual” operation however. Guess the Delco Moraine booster has an internal leak and needs a rebuild or replacement. Any ideas on where to find one? Also wondered what is the usual failure mode?
2) Since I need to pull the booster now would be a good time to convert to a dual master cylinder & split the lines. Anyone have a source or part number? Planning to keep the drums at this time. Appreciate your help!
I have a similar problem, but the diaphram on my 61 bonny whistles until you hit the brakes. Brakes work OK, but I would like to do what you want to do. Can not find out what will replace the old booster. I would relly appreciate help here.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:59 PM

I checked my cannister and line, they are OK. so I know it is the booster.For safety sake I agree about going to a dual MC. I see them for sale, but I don't know which ones fit.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just built a 62 Catalina for customer used booster master assembly from master power brakes fit and worked perfectly car stop great and has a nice pedal feel

Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Here is a summary of what I have found as options for the '62;

1) Rock Auto will send the old unit directly to Prior Automotive in Dallas, Texas to be reconditioned. Talked to the guys there who said that RA gets a 50% discount so best to go through them rather than direct to Prior. Lastest cost was $204. Good call Stuart!

2) White Post can do the restoration for just $445 plus shipping. They will do both the master & booster to OE condition with a 2 week turnaround.

3) Auto City has the complete disk brake conversion that includes a new master /booster for only $650. Master Power Brake has a similar kit but for $1029. Quite a difference in price! Did not research more as I want to retain the front drums.

4) Kanter does not carry anything for this car.

5) Steve at BrakeBoosters.com no longer does the '62 but only '64 & up for $399.

6) Master Power Brake has a new dual master & booster for $397 + shipping.

Since I want the dual cylinder I am going that way. Plus Richie has confirmed the product. Just need to either replace the OE junction block from a 4-port 7/16" part to a 3-port or plug the rear port along with running the rear line direct.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
4) Kanter does not carry anything for this car.
Kanter does have a replacement master cylinder listed, as well as a disk brake conversion kit that includes a master cylinder and a booster. They do not appear to list a replacement booster all by itself.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not familiar with 62's......I am assuming booster is different than 61?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Not familiar with 62's......I am assuming booster is different than 61?
If you have a Bendix brake system the same part number is used for 1961 and 1962, but for some reason there are different part numbers for each year if you have a Moraine brake system.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Stuart;6034463]If you have a Bendix brake system the same part number is used for 1961 and 1962, but for some reason there are different part numbers for each year if you have a Moraine brake system.[/QUOTE

Ok thanks.....and the Bendix is the stop sign one,right?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Ok thanks.....and the Bendix is the stop sign one,right?
I'm not sure what you mean by the stop sign one...Bendix and Moraine were two suppliers of power brake systems back then, they function the same but the boosters do have some detail differences. I don't know why they used two suppliers, or why one car may have a Bendix and another may have a Moraine; it could have depended on what assembly plant built the car, or it could have been a early production / late production thing.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:01 PM

Received the new master cylinder/booster from Master Power the other day then pulled the OE Moraine unit out for comparison. Surprised that the firewall mounting studs & pedal rod are so long. Sent these photos to MPB to confirm that I had the correct unit. They said that the unit is OK, just cut the rods as needed. Comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster end comp 1a.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	514888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster end comp 2a.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	514889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster side comp 2b.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	514890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster side comp 3a.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	514891  

Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM

Looks like the same units I put on my 61 Catalina. I bought my booster from Speedway. It's an 8" dual diaphragm like the HD unit Pontiac offered. Bought the master from Rock Auto. Had to do a little grinding to make the studs fit the old pattern in the firewall, but not much. Brakes are so much better you would think I put discs on it.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Received the new master cylinder/booster from Master Power the other day then pulled the OE Moraine unit out for comparison. Surprised that the firewall mounting studs & pedal rod are so long. Sent these photos to MPB to confirm that I had the correct unit. They said that the unit is OK, just cut the rods as needed. Comments?
It looks like the new unit will probably work when the mounting studs are cut to length and the pushrod situation dealt with. I can tell you the wing nut cap master cylinder you have is rare and highly desired by people trying to keep their old car stock looking. Don't throw that away. Someone would want to rebuild it/restore it. Even to the extent of sleving the bore if it's really rough. Very hard to find those now.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:54 PM

Default Master and booster

here are my pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	514897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	514898  

Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
here are my pics.
Looks nice. I think from the pics you kept the secondary vacuum reservoir on the left inner fender? Do they recommend using it with the new booster? I don't see why it would hurt anything, just more stored vacuum for an extra boosted stop if the engine stalled , I guess. Just curious.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:47 PM

I also have AC. Works much better

Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That makes perfect sense. All vacuum AC controls. It would probably divert to defrost on heavy acceleration without the reservoir. A 61 with factory AC and a convertible! Rare indeed. Very nice.