Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1970 GTO Formula Wheel

I bought a Formula steering wheel from Ames probably 6 years ago. The wheel has started to crack and split at the 12:00 position. I realize that is a long time and understand it’s probably not under any type of warranty. My question is that this car is stored indoors and has under 1500 miles since it’s restoration. Is this what I should expect from the product?

I’m only asking because I see it when I drive the car and it’s annoying- like a zit on a hot chick. I’m looking into replacing it- I love the formula wheel, but if the next one is going to do the same thing I may put my factory wheel back on.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Foam wheel technology was and still isn't the best for longevity.

There are 2 versions of the thicker formula wheel. Does your wheel have some sponginess to it? If yes, that's our wheel. If no, that is another brand.

Either way, as a forum member, maybe we can help you out. If the wheel was ours, I'll give you a REALLY good price on a new wheel. If it is the competition, I'll still give you a very good price and knowing that ours is a little better, should help. shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you- I know it’s been a while and certainly don’t expect a free replacement