Old 07-31-2019, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
No vinyl .......all black with red guts is sweeeet. Keep the roof moldings in a box for the next guy
^^^^THIS. Let the next owner worry about the white top. If I were in the market for your car, I'd much rather have it with no vinyl top at all. Second choice would be a black vinyl top. I saw a Starlight Black '65 GTO with a white top (factory finish) and it looked like a CHP cruiser. Not a cool look for a muscle car. Just because your car was ordered with a white top doesn't mean it's desirable to most people. I feel a white top would break up the flow of the car.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Indeed, this is not a good look for a muscle car....

Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
^^^^THIS. Let the next owner worry about the white top. If I were in the market for your car, I'd much rather have it with no vinyl top at all. Second choice would be a black vinyl top. I saw a Starlight Black '65 GTO with a white top (factory finish) and it looked like a CHP cruiser. Not a cool look for a muscle car. Just because your car was ordered with a white top doesn't mean it's desirable to most people. I feel a white top would break up the flow of the car.
^X2

(My '68 according to PHS came with a vinyl top. PO had it re-done with no vinyl top. I wouldn't change it for the world. Had some vinyl top new cars in the '70's, didn't like them much and had roofs repainted when they started peeling off.)

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/

Last edited by 1968GTO421; 07-31-2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2019, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some cars look good with Cordova tops, the 68-72 A body isn’t one of them. That being said I’d lean to keeping it original.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
No vinyl .......all black with red guts is sweeeet. Keep the roof moldings in a box for the next guy (-- to give to the next guy and the next guy and the next guy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Its your car. Do it up as it appeals to you. You are the one that has to look at it, you are the one that has to maintain it and you are the one spending your money on it.
Firmly sided with those opinions.

White tops on Black cars have always looked "cheap"/"wrong" to me.
Vinyl top deletion is always a bonus to any car's appearance in my eyes. jmo

Old 08-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Senior Chief

It’s your car build it the way you want. Don’t worry about the resale deleting the vinyl top or changing it to black won’t affect the value. The 68 I sold a few years ago was originally Solar red I painted it Burgundy. It sold at a good price and no one cared about the color change. My 67 came new with a black convertible top and interior I changed it to white top and parchment. I looks great and if anything I increased it’s value.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a fan of keeping the OEM arrangement ... however, unless it's some rare model it's not going to make a bit of difference in the price in most cases. I'll keep my vinyl because it came with vinyl ... however if I was buying a plain jane like mine, I might lean towards one that had already had the vinyl removed .... long as it was done RIGHT, trim studs taken care of properly, absolutely no visible line where the original trim was etc.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would tend to agree with many of the others... All original drive train = keep it per the PHS. Non-original drive train = change/add any options you want but keep them year correct. But, I am a pure stock all original guy.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably a lot depends on your first exposure ... when I bought my first GTO in 1976 it had a vinyl top ... so that's the norm for me. I have fond memories of Armor-all-ing that top. Now that I have to paint my GTO ... I'm glad I don't have to paint the top

Old 08-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my opinion, vinyl top cars look better when the top color is different than the paint color. White tops
look best on black cars, and black tops look best on white cars. The black, red interior and white top is a killer combination that looks fantastic.....keep it stock!

Old 08-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
In my opinion, vinyl top cars look better when the top color is different than the paint color. White tops
look best on black cars, and black tops look best on white cars. The black, red interior and white top is a killer combination that looks fantastic.....keep it stock!
He is absolutely correct. A white top will work very well on this car.