Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow. I feel lucky with my 2006 Fusion. The first brake job was the rears at 15,000 km. Broke a torx allen key taking the retaining screws out. Then maybe 25 whacks with a 3 lb sledge to get the rotors off. Wire wheeled the rust off and never seized all the contact areas. Also never seized all the contact areas of the new rotor. It took me 4 brake jobs on the rear within 100k km to figure out that the return spring on the emerg/parking cable wasn't retracting the pads enough to prevent premature wear. I recall doing the rust cleaning/never seize on the fronts after fighting to get the rotors off. But mine were relatively easy compared to what I read here. Each subsequent brake job, even with the never seize, I still had to hammer on the rotors, but just a bit.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 08-22-2019, 10:33 PM

I think it's something specific about the car. My son has a 2006 Mercury Milan, Mercury's version of the Fusion. EVERY TIME I have needed to replace rotors they were incredibly difficult to remove. Not only the factory rotors, but every aftermarket replacement rotor I've installed. That's changing it in my garage on jacks stands, no acetylene torch. I have heated them with propane, pounded on them with a sledge hammer, etc. I have never wanted to get too crazy with heat or pounding so as to not damage the hubs. I have had some eventual luck spraying PB Blaster around the lug studs then rotating the rotor so that it eventually works its way down between the hub and the rotor. I've had a lot of problems with the brakes on this car, just had to replace a rear caliper and rotor a couple of days ago.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Oh, sh!t.

Timely post. I plan to replace the front rotors and pads on my 2012 Fusion this week. Got the rotors and pads sitting on my workbench. But, I live in California, so I hope my situation is not as bad as those mentioned above.

Guess I better, in an abundance of caution, break out the sledge hammer, too.

Guess it's a salt state problem. The flathead Torx bolts holding the rotors on (which I understand is just a convenience during assembly at the factory) came right out, and the rotors came off with just a tug or two.

I'd call it an ordinary brake job, except for trying to get those goddam shims aligned to fit the pucks on. Goddam Ford, the brakes on my '99 Bonneville were 20 minutes per side.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts