Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I was offered 10k for my running SD455. SR block,73 Intake,nos carb,stk lift cam. A friend owned White Boss 429 Mustang ,4spd,new,I remember car.Had it for a year. I asked him when I see him,do you regret selling it,had to for family,but he says yes ,the guy that bought car,he told me,wrapped it around a pole month after he got it.
Along those lines not a Hemi or SD but I had one of the first 35th anniversary 4th Gen LS1 camaros in our area. I was a sheriffs deputy when I had it so I didn’t have to worry about tickets. Anyway time went on and in 2005 I sold it to a guy to buy a truck. The guy I sold it to literally destroyed it a day after getting it. Hit the post for a billboard doing something crazy like 140 MPH. I don’t think he even had it 24 hours

Old 11-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In actual dollars, it's very hard to say. All it takes is one buyer. There would be many times more potential buyers for a 426 Hemi, so based on that alone, I would think it would bring more $. Chrysler spent decades massaging the "hemi legacy" from the original "FireDome" engine of the 1950's to the Street hemi of the 1960's and the current crop of "sort of Hemi's" They are great engines and very different from anything else Chrysler ever produced. The SD-455, to me is really just a very optimized version of the regular production engine. Strengthened and improved to correct many deficiencies in the regular Pontiac engine and beautifully executed for the time period. Able to meet emission requirements and deliver legendary power for the time. However, the very low production numbers are primarily the driver for the very high prices for parts and complete engines today.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
If a fella had a correct 73 or 74 SD455 all rebuilt and verified as fine, dandy, and correct. What is that value?
That could go from about 10-12k if coded 74 auto [Y8] , up to about maybe 18-20k if coded 73 4speed [ZD].
SR would be 10-14 zone
Those numbers could even possibly go higher depending who rebuilt it , carb #, EGR # , exh manifolds, PCV, etc...etc...
If the donor car isn't known for sure to have been totalled/destroyed - it could likely be reunited with proper efforts.

Only a genuine SD owner/restorer would have interest in those price ranges though.
Doesn't have the WoW factor of HEMI valve covers with hood opened.
Any Mopar Car would love to have a Hemi in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
If a fella had a 1969 426 HEMI, with 4-speed, with all correct accessories, as removed from a filmed running event (1973 crash) & " ran great before removed" is the deal. Belt, alternator headers, hoses bellhousing blah blah to the Trans output yoke, but no carb. What is that value?
Usually they had 2 Carbs (?)
Formerly known as running and properly stored - it should at least have a solid guarantee as rebuildable and not locked up.
With 4speed included - just amateur guessing - at least 20-25k, maybe even 30?
Sounds like original intake and dual carbs are MIA - that hurts some of the money.
70 or 71 models might be worth a little more than 69 due to Cuda's and Challenger's

You can buy aftermarket Hemi engines - iirc

Old 11-17-2019, 08:45 PM

64speed, and the significance of your post to this thread IS????

Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Anyone know the production number on Hemi's?

Pontiac made around 1200 SD cars total. That doesn't leave a bunch of cars out there to donate their engine parts.
I know Hemi cars bring more money but I always thought that was because Mopars are cheaply constructed and didn't survive the "test of time". Engines were easily saved.
Since I had a RoadRunner before I bought my 78 TA I would have to agree on the cheaply built. Rattle city! But it was a stick and I pounded on it for several years and just had to put a clutch in it and a MC.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-17-2019, 09:59 PM
Suspended

Like it or not the MoPar Hemi will always be the most desirable and therefore command the top dollar with the BBC as runner up. After all, I did not see anything else in the pro ranks at Pomona today. There is a reason for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Only a Pontiac purist would pay 2 to 3 times what an SD engine should be worth while any unbiased hardcore car guy knows the value and significance of a 426 Hemi. I dare say that the 426 would outprice the Hemi Pontiac. Take the Hemi out of the equation and I would say the aluminum head 427. If Pontiac were to have an aluminum head SD then by all means the Pontiac would have been king over the BBC.

Now, what would be the most significant engine to date? I would have to say it would be the LS.
The SD is an LS engine....just saying

Old 11-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
The SD is an LS engine....just saying
LOL

Old 11-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any real world information out there on these Hemi engine parts or just guesses?

Pastry Chef found a Hemi block with a 10.5 k asking price.

I checked E-bay and found a rough set of 1970 Hemi heads for $1700

Anything else?

Old 11-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is really difficult to compare a 426 hemi value to a SD. Pontiac ID’s about every part. Chrysler did not do that. One thing that comes to mind is all the 426 hemi’s from 66-71 had the same head casting number. They did a ton of heads in 1966 and the date codes are typically well behind the vehicle’s production date. They made just under 900 cars with race hemis, and a little under 11,000 cars with street hemis. That is just cars, add in all the warrantee engines they made a fair number more. They are not all that rare compared to the SD engine. But if you can find a untouched hemi and two people are looking for it 30k probably won’t buy it. Find one that has been beat on 17k-20k might buy it. But you can peice a hemi together cheaper because the parts are not I.D. near are specific as the SD. Carbs and some other things that are unique to hemi’s are probably another story.

Last edited by Jay S; 11-17-2019 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Error
Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mopar guys seem to have deeper pockets when it comes to buying cars and parts in my experience.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Only a Pontiac purist would pay 2 to 3 times what an SD engine should be worth while any unbiased hardcore car guy knows the value and significance of a 426 Hemi. I dare say that the 426 would outprice the Hemi Pontiac. Take the Hemi out of the equation and I would say the aluminum head 427. If Pontiac were to have an aluminum head SD then by all means the Pontiac would have been king over the BBC.

Now, what would be the most significant engine to date? I would have to say it would be the LS.
That sort of almost happened. Not in aluminum, but iron. Dan Whittmore had a Pontiac engineer come by his shop and put a set of prototype heads with casting number 96 on them. They were a set of 90cc SD 455 heads. I am talking down to the pushrod tubes and all. It was to be a 10-1 CR 455 with the round port SD heads, RAIV type valve train, aluminum Q Jet intake with one of the SD 800cfm carbs, th rforged SD rods with TRW forged pistons, N crank, the good round port ex manifolds with the 4 bolt fully braced SD block.
It would have been a street terror. Over 450HP.
It never happened. The corperate Chevy guys nixed it like all the other high HP Pontiac projects.
Dan held the heads in his hands. They made 2 sets. The 73-74 SD 455s were a detuned version of the planed 10-1 SD 455 engine from 1970. Pontiac's last gasp.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
Mopar guys seem to have deeper pockets when it comes to buying cars and parts in my experience.
I wouldn't say that's quite true, but they're certainly willing to dig deeper, no doubt.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
That sort of almost happened. Not in aluminum, but iron. Dan Whittmore had a Pontiac engineer come by his shop and put a set of prototype heads with casting number 96 on them. They were a set of 90cc SD 455 heads. I am talking down to the pushrod tubes and all. It was to be a 10-1 CR 455 with the round port SD heads, RAIV type valve train, aluminum Q Jet intake with one of the SD 800cfm carbs, th rforged SD rods with TRW forged pistons, N crank, the good round port ex manifolds with the 4 bolt fully braced SD block.
It never happened. The corperate Chevy guys nixed it like all the other high HP Pontiac projects.
Dan held the heads in his hands. They made 2 sets. The 73-74 SD 455s were a detuned version of the planed 10-1 SD 455 engine from 1970. Pontiac's last gasp.
I’ve never heard that story. Wow. That’s the LS6/Stage 1/Hemi competitor we all wish had been built. All jokes aside the J.Hand type combo would have stood favourably in that company.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Face it, just the simple basic fact that there are more people into Mopars then Pontiacs makes any hp car or parts off a hp motor more valuable!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found a 68 factory Hemi intake manifold for sale asking price is $1200 or offer. Starting to think these Hemi engines are a lot cheaper to put together the Super Duties.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember in the late 70's people were already deep diving in salvage yards for Hemi's because of the of the prices. There were still some old timers that owned yards and to them it was just another engine. Was like finding a Faberge Egg in a dusty antique shop.

Only one I ever saw was a 392 (?) that was powering the salvage yard part running buggy.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

The HEMI is a single-fo due to the rules at the time..original as possible but lacks carb & Shift handle.

Would look great in my 68 GTO while fixing my rear main leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	524702  

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Did Dan explain to you why Pontiac wanted to use an N crank in the "90 cc head SD engine" and didn't use the N crank in the production Super Duty engines?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Pontiac had their day in the sun. Fact is, they had almost a full decade. In the first half of the 60's almost all manufacturers were equal in the performance ranks. Brands like Buick, Olds, Mercury, AMC even Studebaker with its R2 engine were all competitive. Pontiac shined brightly as a very fierce competitor. Then came the 426 Hemi which greatly tipped the scales. Chevrolet came up with the BBC and threw the performance book at it, hence the Rat vs. Elephant wars. Pontiac had nothing but old technology to work with and nothing more. Like I said, had Pontiac developed an aluminum head, it would have been a game changer.

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 11-18-2019 at 09:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread