Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 61 Bonneville bubbletop

For all of you that get major wood from these, there's a nice one for sale on autotraderclassics.com. Coronado red, buckets, tripower, 8-lugs, etc. I'm pretty sure this is cover feature car from Smoke Signals a few years back. If it is, the history on this car is pretty good...mostly all original and not abused.......price is 33K? Oh, its an auto car so you could probably deduct 20K.....ha!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...e-419854.xhtml

Nice looking car, I think you're right - it may have been in the Smoke Signals.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good to me!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice car and worth every penny of 33k. You couldn't get one to that condition with that equipment for anywhere near that.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Very nice car and worth every penny of 33k. You couldn't get one to that condition with that equipment for anywhere near that.
I totally agree!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm almost totally sure it's the car that was featured in Smokes.....if all that was accurate...the car has a very "clean" history....always been very well cared for. If I recall the two front fenders were replaced because the original owner scraped them on the garage doors sides as he aged...then his son took over and it went on from there to two additional owners that were really into the car...the first was a guy from S.Dak. and then it went to Michigan....to this owner? The 8 lugs were not original to the car but I believe most everything else is. The Smokes issue was Feb 2008.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The seller of this car is a great guy.

He was helpful to me with some questions I had, and was very encouraging about my build. I just dug up an old email I had from him a couple years ago. To give an idea of how he feels about his car, I pulled this quote out of an email from him:

"If I had Bill Gates' money I would try to buy every unrestored '61 Bonn in the country, have them restored and give them to anyone who would agree to carefully maintain it."

Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

VERY pretty car. Love the Bonneville tail lights. The rear view looks like a rocket ship.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Default Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting that link, I really love the 61s, and while my friends think my '61 Bonnie is a big of a large lug, I think they like it as well. I just wish it weren't soooo expensive to restore (mainly the interior). I started on mine a few years' back and then had to stop due to funds and space issues (I am not Bill Gates!). Hope to get back on it in the future, for now it is in inadequate storage.

These photos provide some degree of inspiration, and that price tag, while seemingly high, sets the bar for me to stay under . Since I do much of my own labor, these projects take a lot of time and the quality is more "amateur" than if done by an expensive restoration shop costing tens of thousands. Most of my vehicles are "driver quality" and I do enjoy puttering about in them. The smooth riding Bonneville from 1961 should be no exception!

Cheers!

Tom Kochtanek

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Senior Chief

Very nice Car...!
Love those bubbletops...

My 1965 Lemans....
Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default 61

This is an automatic version of my car when it was new to me in 64. And yes it does give major wood, enough to make a wood pile. Wish I had the money but it is being spent on my stick shift car, same color too. Wish I had the vin to see if it's a South gate car close to mine.