WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Electrical Tech

04-06 Electrical Tech Electrical issues with the engine, interior, radios, gauges, etc...

Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 PM

Default Foglight Wiring Diagram Reading

Ok, so here is a breakdown of the problem I have. My foglights do not turn on. My headlight switch seems to be in proper working function, and will be trying a new one (just in case) this coming week. I have tried grounding out pin 3 on the fog lamp relay (micro) with no luck. The fog lights themselves have 12v constant, as the fogs are controlled via the relay with ground instead of a hot lead.

My plan is to located connections S151 and C110.

Does anyone have any knowledge of where these connections are and what I need to do to access these locations?

Once I make sure the connections are plugged in correctly (Im sure they have been unplugged or some type of problem has occurred because the car seems to have been in a front end collision from the previous owner) I will try grounding pin 3 again to make sure they work.

Once that is confirmed I will try using the headlight switch ( I will pretend it is worst case scenario) and it does not work I should assume either the switch is bad or the relay is bad.

QUESTION: How does the relay work? Once pin 1 receives 12v and pin 2 receives ground the relay should complete the ground by connections pin 3 and 5 correct?

Sorry it is a bit jumbled. I will try to go back over this and edit it so it makes more sense once I get home, but this is a quick overview of what I am thinking may be going on.:foil:
Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Administrator

I'm not an electrical nut so I cannot help but thanks for posting. You should get a response on this.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Ok so this past weekend I was able to conquer this problem after a beer or two. Upon further research,

Quote:
It looks like pin 1 should be 12V+ when the ignition is on, pin 2 should be dead until it gets a signal from the IPC (and I assume the signal is just a connection to ground), pin 5 is ground, and pin 3 is dead until the relay is energized, and then it connects to the ground on 5.
I realized that what I assume is connection C110 is the plug that comes off the front of the chassis to connect to the fog light harness. I removed the foglight plug and disconnected the clip from the chassis, only to realize that the prongs inside the connector were bent to all hell. Fixed the bent prong, made sure the relay was working properly and what do you know it got ground to the connector and then plugged the bulb in and it lit right up.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Amazing what some cold liquid will do!