Old 04-04-2019, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate all the hate posts about the Flowmasters but I'd say that applies to the 2 and 3 chamber designs. The single chamber 10 series flow really well. I can notice a night and day difference in how the 10s flow compared to my 40s.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
I appreciate all the hate posts about the Flowmasters but I'd say that applies to the 2 and 3 chamber designs. The single chamber 10 series flow really well. I can notice a night and day difference in how the 10s flow compared to my 40s.

Can you please share the data? I haven't been able to find anything for flow numbers, or back-to-back dyno or dragstrip testing.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am of the opinion that between all the different exhaust parameters and the subjective nature of sound, that making any comparisons between mufflers is a futile exercise.

I researched mufflers to death and found many cases where ones that worked great for some were terrible for others. I think you just have to keep swapping them out until find that right one that works for ya.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been down that road before using the dragstrip. Spent thousands of dollars over several years and couldn't find anything significant with muffler changes, but found quite a bit with pipe changes.

So these days I tend to pick a muffler on sound quality and then just make sure the pipes are the proper size with mandrel bends with a good X-over.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best sounding car I ever had was my old SD clone trans am with an "H" crossover, 2.5 full exhaust and 2-chamber 40 FM's. Over the years I have had an "X" crossover with FM's,(40 & super 44) Goerlich's and Jones Full Boar "V" tube muffs. These were used in 3 different engine combinations in my '79 and none of these ever sounded as good as the SD clone.
I am convinced that the "H" and "X" type crossovers plays a significant part in the overall tone of an exhaust system, regardless of muffler used. I plan to swap out the current "X" and return to the "H" configuration for the '79.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely! X is for performance, H for sound. I've always been able to hear a very distinct difference. I have an H in my car.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Absolutely! X is for performance, H for sound. I've always been able to hear a very distinct difference. I have an H in my car.
I don't go to the track anymore so a few horsepower lost isn't a big deal for me. I spend more time driving the streets so sound is my preference.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

H pipes definitely sound better than an X.

I'm bouncing back and fourth between how I want to redo my exhaust. It's easier for me to buy a universal X-pipe setup, buy I really like the sound of an H better.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a video I just uploaded of the 10s on my car to compare to my other video of the 40s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO9jMkmLokA