The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-14-2002, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK. I have had several people say, "no sand blasting on sheet metal". Well, just curious, is it not the way it has been in the past and is continued to be an acceptable method for some?

At any rate, the question now is, what type of medium to remove rust from chassis and strip body. Plastic beads? How hard? Aluminum Oxide? What size medium?

Found this company that offers five types of automotive blasting medium, suggestions on what to purchase?

Composition Materials Inc

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK. I have had several people say, "no sand blasting on sheet metal". Well, just curious, is it not the way it has been in the past and is continued to be an acceptable method for some?

At any rate, the question now is, what type of medium to remove rust from chassis and strip body. Plastic beads? How hard? Aluminum Oxide? What size medium?

Found this company that offers five types of automotive blasting medium, suggestions on what to purchase?

Composition Materials Inc

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Senior Chief

if your sandblaster has no limitations I would use the least expensive material.......personaly, I would not use aluminum on steel....high potential of starting dissimilar metal corrosion.....do not sandblast sheet metal parts......I learned the hard way when I sandblasted 61 chevy biscayne hood.....I would not listen to my bodyman and instisted it would be faster way....I did it.....then paid my bodyman 3 days work to fix the stripes (warpage) results
lee

Old 06-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The pressure sandblaster gets the metal too hot and wraps it. We have had some luck with a water blaster, using regular -30 sandblast sand.The water seems to keep the sheetmetal cooler, but it will rust over right away if you don't treat the metal with a phosphater(sp),(metal prep). The regular pressure sandblaster, using -30 size sandblast sand is great for frames, inside the trunk floor,firewalls, etc. but not for fenders, doors, and quaterpanels.

Old 06-15-2002, 05:32 AM
Senior Chief

Plastic is great for removing paint, but will not remove bondo,or rust.It will not warp panels as sand will. I've heard that baking soda, and walnut shell were pretty good as well. Walnut will leave an oil over the stripped parts ,so you will need to degrease it well.

"It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten"

Old 06-15-2002, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use sand or smaller grain slag for limited rusty areas. But you have to be careful and do a small spot at a time. It will warp panels from the heat and stress it produces.

I like to keep an air hose w/ a blow gun right beside me. I'll blast less than 2 sq. inches, then blow the metal cool w/ the blow gun.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 06-16-2002, 08:25 PM
crazy ray

blast cars every day use old sand that is dead like powder the only time you will warp a panel is if you dont know what your doing