THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the past 6-8 years NC has joined the upper ranks in the nation on amount of taxes per gallon. We used to be mid-pack.

Last week they announced proposed legislation to also add an additional tax -
to also tax us by the mile.

After yearly safety and/or emmissions inspection -
your mileage driven in that vehicle for the year will be calculated from previous year.
And you will be sent a bill reflecting the miles you drove.

Your following yearly registration will be forbidden if the tax is unpaid.
Similar to current vehicle property tax parameters.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The station where I get my ethanol free premium raised prices .33 per gallon. Going to have to do something different for the tiller. movers and my GTO and truck. Can't afford those prices, paying property tax when I renew my tags is enough.
I have less money coming in now than I a few years ago so unless I necessarily have to go somewhere my stuff is going to stay parked, as is the wife's car which is the easiest thing we own on gas but due to needing more than I can afford to do to it right now is parked on account of overdue on inspection and tags are out.
Gas and oil prices have gotten out of hand for sure, may have to double up on the Aleve and throw a saddle on one of my horses, ride out the rodeo and make that my daily transportation if I need to go to town for anything I don't need the truck for.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Suspended

Wink Current International Oil Pricing & Supply Topics Just In...

A few international "issues" possibly used as reasons & impacting local prices:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...9&postcount=41

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...4&postcount=50

Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Suspended

A few weeks ago noticed prices had jumped .20 cents overnight.

Had lunch w a fellow Pontiacer and mentioned it and he and his wife ran into same thing while on a driving trip. He reminded me that excuse then was it's due to "Spring Break". Has continued to progressively climb since then.

Back around that same post-Spring Break time, I noted that locally Diesel was @ $3.95 per gallon. Impacting shipping etc. no doubt.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You might consider that US consumers HAVE adjusted to higher prices by decreasing their total miles and buying more fuel efficient vehicles.
Americans do the right thing buy driving less and buying more fuel effient cars but still pay the price for oil companies exporting fuel to other buyers
From the news Bloomberg

Eleven tankers were chartered to export clean products off the West Coast in the past month, up from two tankers during the same period last year, ship-fixture data compiled by Bloomberg show. Gasoline exports from the region rose 6.9 percent to 2.36 million barrels in January, a record high for the month, according to EIA data.

“I don’t think people are driving more here, so if this isn’t because of demand, then it does leave you to wonder if it isn’t all exports,”

Old 04-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Americans do the right thing buy driving less and buying more fuel effient cars but still pay the price for oil companies exporting fuel to other buyers
Driving less and buying fuel efficient cars is not the "right thing", it is simply a predictable human behavioral response to rising prices, basic Econ 101 stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
From the news Bloomberg

Eleven tankers were chartered to export clean products off the West Coast in the past month, up from two tankers during the same period last year, ship-fixture data compiled by Bloomberg show. Gasoline exports from the region rose 6.9 percent to 2.36 million barrels in January, a record high for the month, according to EIA data.

“I don’t think people are driving more here, so if this isn’t because of demand, then it does leave you to wonder if it isn’t all exports,”
Does this dimwit believe that demand only occurs on US soil?

And as I also mentioned, certain US laws make it cheaper for refiners to ship overseas rather than to domestic ports. Since US refiners are competing globally, it makes perfect sense to sell to buyers that offer better profit margins for the refiners. If those buyers are overseas, the product will be exported.

That shouldn't be so difficult to understand. Nobody should have to "wonder" about exports.

If you dislike free markets and prefer that gasoline be restricted and controlled, I guess you can lobby for that.

Again I'd suggest you be careful about what you wish for.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W.Dille View Post
,,, paying property tax when I renew my tags is enough.

... throw a saddle on one of my horses...for anything I don't need the truck for.
I just did the inspection-tags-property tax on my daily driver , Monday.
First time under the new program.

The new procedure with paying property tax at DMV on same day is creating some binds for a lot of people. Going to take some getting use to - versus the former staggered procedure.
Everything due on same day doesn't leave much wiggle room.

I listened in on the totals as all the folks ahead of me stepped up to the clerk.
All were between $150-300
Plus they had already paid whatever the 96-newer inspection fee is now (35 45 ?).

So approx $200 - $350 in 1 day for most of them.

My 89 VW Diesel Jetta was $29 for tags - $4 for taxes - $13 for inspection
$46 total

My 85 VW TurboDiesel Jetta is $0 for taxes
because they quit billing for taxes that are less than $4 in my county.

plus they average 48-52 mpg overall btw
Wisest money i ever spent was buying these VW Diesel vehicles.
Else i'd be saddling a horse too ... or putting a big basket on a bicycle.

Sounds like you could use 1 of them too A.W. !

Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you guys need address and tags from another state. NC is another state, now added to my list. that I wouldn't move to.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I returned from Arizona on Monday where Regular was $3.50. When I got home (also on Monday) Regular in CA was $4.00.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen regular priced upwards of $4.19-ish here where I live in a L.A. suburb. Costco has regular for about $3.89 or so right now. I'm sure it will go up by the time I need to fill up again.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was in Germany for Christmas, I was paying over $7.00 per gallon for diesel. Mind you, in Germany, diesel is about 10% less expensive than regular E10 gas.

Maybe the prices here aren't so bad...

Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gas is $3,66 around my house. Just went up from $3.57. No reason to raise the prices other than greed.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3.50-3.60 per Gal regular gas
3.95 per Gal diesel

Pepsi on sale for 99 cents per 2 liter

Just read an article in our Electric Utility Co-Op monthly magazine that Germany pays 3x per kilowatt/hour than what we pay here.

Germany is a great place to visit - but couldn't afford to live there.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:51 PM

This could be a painful year for driving old cars and boats. I paid 3.99/gallon in Richfield, NC last week for ethanol-free premium. It's basically .50/gallon more expensive than premium at a normal station but will probably save me a carb rebuild later... Last year I had to go through the carburetors in my boat and damn near just about every yard tool that I owned.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Gas Prices

Gas price in England for the equivalent of a U S gallon $8 .38c you should be so lucky
& diesel is more expensive

Old 04-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ukraine.

Gas prices are not set by oil companies any more than gold prices are set by gold miners. RBOB gasoline is a publicly traded commodity. The price goes up and down as traders bid or sell the futures based on supply, demand and expectation of future prices based on perception of what effects current events will have on them.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 04-12-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastings View Post
This could be a painful year for driving old cars and boats. I paid 3.99/gallon in Richfield, NC last week for ethanol-free premium. It's basically .50/gallon more expensive than premium at a normal station but will probably save me a carb rebuild later... Last year I had to go through the carburetors in my boat and damn near just about every yard tool that I owned.
Chastings, went from 3.99 to 4.33 here at one of my local stations, won't be putting much gas in the GTO this year, or have to find something to cut the effects of ethanol, my truck is a chore to keep going, constant problems with the carburetor on account of the ethanol. And got a feeling I'm starting to have the same problems with the Grand Prix.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Senior Chief

$385.9 for regular, DOT was just on the news and said people are driving less because of the price of gas, DOT said just because prices go up doesn't mean increased taxes for road repair so they are looking for more tax per gallon, how about drill baby drill I'm sure that would drive the price down!!! One of the freedoms lost is getting in your car and going into town or just a ride to take care of business, now I wait until there is 5 to 10 things to take care of before I fire up the car.

Gregg

Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Where will it end..

For example
Over here you'll pay for regular, Euro 1.70 / Liter. Or that's Euro 6.54/ Gallon, or $ 9.08 / Gallon and still rising .

We are on wrong metric system over here

Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, here's what I don't understand.

Gas was $1.80 in 2008, then started to climb.

In 2009, new energy policies have been pushed through, along with massive spending on "green" energy.

Between Jan 2009 - April 2014

1) U.S Crude Oil Production UP 62%

2) Petroleum imports DOWN 52%

3) Regular gas prices UP 95%

If unrest in the Middle East, or Ukraine, make prices fluctuate, then why are gas prices at $4.00 a gallon when we produce MORE oil in America, and import LESS?

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.