Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
So Chief runs 6.30's with an almost stock set of E-Heads.....blocks are pretty easy to get, I give.

GTO George
EHTTFMF!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blocks are easy to get huh just talked to 2 guys that have been waiting for months I ordered a 583 with 12 degree heads from REHER MORRISON 1200 hp off the dyno not cheap but available

Last edited by cgeise; 12-16-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
Blocks are easy to get huh just talked to 2 guys that have been waiting for months I ordered a 583 with 12 degree heads form REHER MORRISON 1200 hp off the dyno not cheap but available
So Butler doesn't have E heads on their shelfs. What heads you talking about? Don't you run top sportsmen.....hell in a 2500 lb car it shouldn't be a big deal to qualify.

GTO George

Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont get it. There are a set of proven E heads for sale right now for 3800$, 4800$ with the shaft rockers. They made 1200+ na on gas.
I know Curt got screwed over. Had some Pro Ports I believe sent to a east coast guy, paid a ton, waited a long time, they flowed a ton. Didnt make the power he needed.
I am sure its very frustrating.
But if all the dedicated hard core Pontiac guys did this we would not have E heads, KRE, Warps, High Ports,Super Wedge,Aluminum D port, MR1,MR1A, All Pontiac, IA2,IA2A, Tigers, DCI RAV, Butlers.
Is it so hard to have a race shop with engines ready to go on short notice ? I know KREs website shows many engines like this. Would think its not a issue for All Pontiac.
Its not rocket science. Whats the issue ? We have far more parts and builders than the other long "dead" engines. Olds, FEs, Buicks ect.
Thing is, I always root for Pontiac powered cars. Especially ones that started out like as real muscle cars.
And I know its very easy for anyone to call up Steve Schmit or RM and get a engine for less, with a year guarantee too. But I hate Pontiacs with BBCs in them and root for them to lose every time out. Thats not going to change.
Hope you come back Curt. Stay safe.
Its just not going to feel the same when you win now.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Until you're in Curt's shoes you don't know what it's like.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Dont get it. There are a set of proven E heads for sale right now for 3800$, 4800$ with the shaft rockers. They made 1200+ na on gas.
I know Curt got screwed over. Had some Pro Ports I believe sent to a east coast guy, paid a ton, waited a long time, they flowed a ton. Didnt make the power he needed.
I am sure its very frustrating.
But if all the dedicated hard core Pontiac guys did this we would not have E heads, KRE, Warps, High Ports,Super Wedge,Aluminum D port, MR1,MR1A, All Pontiac, IA2,IA2A, Tigers, DCI RAV, Butlers.
Is it so hard to have a race shop with engines ready to go on short notice ? I know KREs website shows many engines like this. Would think its not a issue for All Pontiac.
Its not rocket science. Whats the issue ? We have far more parts and builders than the other long "dead" engines. Olds, FEs, Buicks ect.
Thing is, I always root for Pontiac powered cars. Especially ones that started out like as real muscle cars.
And I know its very easy for anyone to call up Steve Schmit or RM and get a engine for less, with a year guarantee too. But I hate Pontiacs with BBCs in them and root for them to lose every time out. Thats not going to change.
Hope you come back Curt. Stay safe.
Its just not going to feel the same when you win now.

... Hilarious how you made sure not to add the CV-1 to your list, very nice, very nice ...

Old 12-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Blocks are easy to get huh just talked to 2 guys that have been waiting for months I ordered a 583 with 12 degree heads from REHER MORRISON 1200 hp off the dyno not cheap but available
So you didn't talk to bob or frank first?
I am not sure why KRE or ALLpontiac wouldn't have a few blocks in stock,it seems like it would be a good business practice.
Good luck with your new program.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson Port Development View Post
... Hilarious how you made sure not to add the CV-1 to your list, very nice, very nice ...
He didn't mention Visners either, so what.

Did you forget to wear your safety pin today?

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 12-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
He didn't mention Visners either, so what.

Did you forget to wear your safety pin today?
... Well that makes sense, as your heads don't run. ...

Old 12-17-2016, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Good choice on engine builders. those guys have some fast cars out there.
This is supply and demand. Plenty of good quality parts available ready for assembly for BBC. Sorry to see you move on, but I understand. Good luck.Keep us posted.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Time for this post to go.......

Here;

Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs

Old 12-18-2016, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Twin, did not make sure not to add any product to that post. It was off the top of my head.
Your heads, it took awhile, but they run. My point always has been, if you are going to lay the valve over and go away from being a inline Pontiac head it had better beat the pants off of ALL the other inline Pontiac heads. And they dont. But now seems just as good as all the other top Pontiac heads.
Congrats on getting Big Chief to go with your stuff.
And I do not think needing 1200 HP NA, or even with power adders in this day, like you can run in Top Sportsman is something out of folks reach if they have the cash. With a aerodynamic roller skate to boot.
You could run a toned down version of Brand X engine for that kind of power and last a long time. Do not buy its some impossible goal. Only trying to run Top Sportsman, not heads up like Chief.
Sorry if I have a problem with stuffing BBC in a real Pontiac to run the same times he can run with a real Pontiac that has extra effort put into it.
Curt had a bad deal, dont take it out shoving the enemy's engine in your car.
Anyone can shove a BBC in their car and go fast. Does not mean it is cool.
A fast BBc is just another fast BBC. just they way it is.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:37 AM
Senior Chief

Congrats on stepping up your game Curt.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to p4msi1

An oil pump failure in October, on my 455 gave me an opportunity to upgrade to an IA2 block and crank. I ordered and still not here. Fortunately, it's not a race car that has to be up and running quickly. Every engine build I do always take 4 times longer than I expected. I wanted to build a sbc for my c10 pick up but a quick call to Blueprint Engines had me a 383 stroker in a week. My Pontiacs will always have a Pontiac motor but I wish some of these venders would have crate engines already in stock, dynoed, crated and ready to ship. All Pontiac and Kauffman should have short blocks ready to ship at a moments notice with different stroke cranks and ci. Head options (a few port options)should be already on the shelf boxed and ready to ship. Keeping $100,000.00 in inventory is not much for a supplier like All Pontiac serving the entire world. I keep $30-40.000.00 in inventory and I'm a micro business. This only makes sense.

Steve

Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you call KRE to see if they had a block?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I check the big vendor's website and they advertise complete engines 500-900+hp dynoed and the whole enchilada, what I don't see is 1200 hp N.A. engines ready to ship.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to p4msi1

IA2 was already ordered and if the block does not come in soon I will cancel the order and call KRE. Bob's shop is an hour and 20 min drive from me and I try to keep my business local when I can.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Until you're in Curt's shoes you don't know what it's like.
Well said. Sad to see you switch, but good luck to you.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Did you call KRE to see if they had a block?

My engine builder did last week. Nothing in stock and at least a month. All Pontiac has nothing and I'm calling Butler tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I will call anyway. I also put an add in the performance parts section and did have one reply but it was a tall deck. So I guess I will just get in line.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to sell aftermarket blocks when you don't have any to sell, part of the reason it makes the decision to run a BBC that much easier.

AP and KRE are their own worst enemies when they tell a customer they have to wait for months to get a block. This is the off season and when people are getting engines ready for next summer, racers need the starting piece first, the block.

As many know I follow the 410 sprint car circuit, if a racer needed a block now in the off season to start racing in Feb, he'd be SOL if any vendor told him he might get it in Jan or Feb. He'd miss part of the racing season, lose points, plus you can't earn any of the purse when your not there. Many of the top sprint car teams are businesses, not part time hobby racers. If a vendor doesn't have product these teams will go elsewhere even if it's more expensive.

I fully realize that the investment in blocks is substantial, but you sure can't be telling prospective customers they have a wait of months to get a new block. Taking orders from people that have money in hand to buy a block, before your next run is a bass ackwards business model. It's already more expensive to race a Pontiac and always has been, but stalling people off waiting for blocks is just going to drive them to the alternative. And we've seen it time after time they just go for the BBC. Costs less, and your not going to be on a waiting list at the mercy of the vendors and the time schedule of the foundry. You may have loyal customers, but they aren't going to wait forever on your promises, especially if you don't deliver on time.

As long as the racers are at the mercy of the block vendors they're going to be thinning the Pontiac faithful due to the inability to buy engine parts timely. This isn't a new problem, I've seen it discussed on PY for years. Curt was the most recent to get sick and tired of the hurry up and wait syndrome.

Good luck Curt, I hate to see anyone switch to a BBC, but I also see all of us have a finite time on this rock. Waiting for Pontiac speed equipment because of others poor planning is a real sore spot.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated