Old 10-20-2019, 05:32 PM

Default '62 Cat Idler Arm

How much play should there be for the idler arm? I am seeing a good 1/8" of up & down movement at the threaded bushing that does not seem right. Joint on the center link is fine. Bought the bushing & bracket from Kanter a few years ago but have put only 250 miles on it.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1/8" play is considered the maximum allowed for typical ball and socket joints like ball joints, idler arms, pitman shaft, center link and idler arm. However, if every joint in the front end had 1/8" of play, you would have a loose feeling front end when all said and done. 61 and 62 Pontiacs have awfully frail and fragile front end parts. I was really surprised how delicate the parts are compared to the vehicle weight. How does the car feel driving it.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM

The joint in question is not a ball & socket but a threaded design as shown in the attached. Surprised that there was so much play. Car drives fine as all the other joints are good but has some slop in the steering, mostly at the box. Is it worth the extra cost to get one from Rare Parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idler arm.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	522585  

Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I see what you are talking about now. This design is similar to some late model GM idler arms like the Astro Van which had similar issues. Not really familiar with the "Rare Parts" brand, experience wise. I know NAPA sells their stuff, so it is probably decent quality. I also notice everything they sell is triple the cost of main stream replacement parts. As you have already figured out the play is between the "male screw" and the "female nut" , idler arm body. Wear could have caused this on a high mileage original one but not with 250 MI on it. Probably a loose, sloppy fit when new and after "broken in" your left with the play. It's an unfortunate design when the mating parts have a poor fit. If you end up buying the "Rare" part, please report back how good it fits. I probably need one too.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at the NAPA web site at the RARE parts. They list an idler arm assembly that contains all the wear parts, not the arm itself, the bracket and the bushing for $133.00. Part Number RPC 20159. Then they also list an idler arm rebuild kit which contains a host of parts, bearings, bushings, washers, shims and more for $186.00. Part number RPC 20136. It is unclear to me if this rebuild kit would work on the unit you now have. It looks different from the pictures. It is also unclear to me why you would buy the rebuild kit for $50,00 more than the assembled complete unit? You may want to call RARE Parts directly and attempt to get a clear story of the best way to move forward. Good luck and report back please.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW if you are interested I have a NORS (Moog) idler arm for a 62 I don't need, and I'd sell to you for a fair price if interested. I switched to the 63 style so I could use a drag link from that year.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 PM
Suspended

The RARE Idler arm has bearings that can be tightened. It is the one you want.

On a rear steer car like the B body, you don't want any play. The steering linkage is in compression and any play quickly becomes magnified.. I used to change center links every 12 to 15,000 miles. They sell rebuilding kits for them. The joints on them just spin they are not spherical..

Old 10-23-2019, 02:49 PM

For the life of me I looked at the repair kit and cant figure out where all those bearings and bushing go to repair one.