Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you will look in the PMD chassis books for full size b bodies of those years and put the frame dimensions and bolt holes on a chart you will see that any 2dr/4dr frame from '61-'64 should work, keeping the Bonneville/StarChief and Catalina/Ventura/Grand Prix length differences in two separate groups. There are very minor differences in various spacings of the bolt holes but they could be made up for with a rat tail file. No I haven't done it for all four years but have for '61/'62 and feel confident it will work for all of them. '61 and '62 have a 1" difference in the wheel base ('62 is 1" longer) but that is due to the rear control arm lengths and not the frame. I have a '62 frame I am going to put under a '61 Ventura sometime during the next year I will come back and let everyone know how it comes out. I also have a good extra '62 Catalina 2 dr frame I will have for sale once I am done.

Pretty sure the main difference between the sedan and ht frames is that the sedan frames were boxed between the wheels and the sedan frames were not; because of the missing B pillar on the HT cars as Stuart mentions above.

I've never heard of ANY other GM frame '61-'64 fitting a Pontiac b body.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Suspended

There were two different companies that made those frames, one was AO Smith, I can't remember what the other was. One was made better too. Smokey mentioned that in one of his "Say Smokey" columns in Mechanics Illustrated...

62 was the last year for solid upper control arm bushings, people with the 61 to 64 B body, would do themselves good to swap to the solid bushing upper control arms..

Old 11-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
If you will look in the PMD chassis books for full size b bodies of those years and put the frame dimensions and bolt holes on a chart you will see that any 2dr/4dr frame from '61-'64 should work, keeping the Bonneville/StarChief and Catalina/Ventura/Grand Prix length differences in two separate groups. There are very minor differences in various spacings of the bolt holes but they could be made up for with a rat tail file. No I haven't done it for all four years but have for '61/'62 and feel confident it will work for all of them. '61 and '62 have a 1" difference in the wheel base ('62 is 1" longer) but that is due to the rear control arm lengths and not the frame. I have a '62 frame I am going to put under a '61 Ventura sometime during the next year I will come back and let everyone know how it comes out. I also have a good extra '62 Catalina 2 dr frame I will have for sale once I am done.

Pretty sure the main difference between the sedan and ht frames is that the sedan frames were boxed between the wheels and the sedan frames were not; because of the missing B pillar on the HT cars as Stuart mentions above.

I've never heard of ANY other GM frame '61-'64 fitting a Pontiac b body.
I meant to say the ht frames were boxed and the sedan frames not

Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GREAT info....on the frame interchange...

Thanks to everybody.....for posting..