Old 07-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pontiac engine in XJ6 Jag?

I've had a spare 455 for a few years now, and with old blue nearly done, I've been thinking about maybe putting a bit of a different cruise together for the wife. We live in a tiny town with not much selection in town for older cars. There are a couple of XJ Jag sedans sitting around tho, and I've been getting curious about the possibilities, lol. I've heard lately that some guys have swapped SBC engines in, but has anybody put a Pontiac engine into one? It would be nice to have a bit of an idea what I'd be faced with. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have done the SBC with a T-400 swap before. Those cars drive much better with all the original heavy junk taken out.
A Pontiac engine should be just as fun.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

was there enough room left over for a 455 to fit easily?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yup
Guys fit BBC in these things as well.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

68azbird, what did you use for engine mounts, trans cross member? Also, what did you do about the driveshaft, etc? I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a bit. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We used a SBC engine mount kit that everyone sells. Had to fabricate the transmission cross member.
To do it with a Pontiac you will have to fabricate everything according to what pontiac engine mounts your using. Any drive shafts shop should be able to help with the shaft.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw a Jag at fall Carlyle (?) with a 428 Pontiac in it. Everything looked like it fit ok.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb 1974 Jaguar XJ12 - The Draguar!

Sorry for late post. 1st time seeing this OP topic.

You may be interesting in this 1974 Jag XJ12 Hot Rod called Draguar! for some ideas for your Poncho transplant http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...acing-draguar/

Quote:
Our XJ12 is one of 4,744 made, if Wikipedia is to be trusted. Rare? We take it to mean no one wanted 'em when they were new. Why have a 326ci Jaguar V12 with just 265 hp when you can swap in a 350ci Chevy V8 with just 265 hp? Countless people did exactly that in the '70s, and that power number might be a tad generous for the marine 350 beneath the Weiand blower. It was a late-model, roller-cam motor, but pre-Vortec. It had those annoying center intake bolts that are at a different angle than nature intended, so the supercharger manifold had to be hashed to fit. Wild guessing put the compression ratio at 8.5 to 9.0:1, and the cam was probably the 198-at-0.050, 1?8-race special. It also had stock exhaust manifolds. We knew we could make the cast pistons survive at low boost, especially with an MSD distributor and 6BTM ignition box that retards ignition timing in proportion to intake psi. We'd also rigged an Auto Meter wideband O2 gauge to watch the air/fuel ratios--which were dead-on perfect throughout the driving range with the out-of-the-box Holley 750-cfm supercharger carbs.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...#ixzz3OiMQJjm5
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook
Was very common to see XJ6 drivetrain transplants (SBC & BBC mostly) back in the day...so your Pontiac idea is a variation on the theme. Used to be co.s that advertised conversion kits in Hot Rod & Car Crap

Here's a YouTube Roadkill episode http://youtu.be/-gfQ4jzUEwU