Old 03-07-2004, 10:12 AM

My son drives our 67 Catalina winter beater car to college. (Today he is driving it from Michigan to Tennessee to see his Grandfather for spring break) After even short trips the hubcaps have rotated bending the valve stems under the hubcaps. The hubcaps fit pretty tight. It seems to be mostly with the front wheels. The rears do to, but rotate just a few degrees. I can't think of any fix other than getting better hubcaps. It is tough to find rally wheels or aftermarket wheels since the correct wheels only fit 67-70. I want the extra support of the hub instead of depending only on the studs.
I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

Old 03-07-2004, 10:12 AM

My son drives our 67 Catalina winter beater car to college. (Today he is driving it from Michigan to Tennessee to see his Grandfather for spring break) After even short trips the hubcaps have rotated bending the valve stems under the hubcaps. The hubcaps fit pretty tight. It seems to be mostly with the front wheels. The rears do to, but rotate just a few degrees. I can't think of any fix other than getting better hubcaps. It is tough to find rally wheels or aftermarket wheels since the correct wheels only fit 67-70. I want the extra support of the hub instead of depending only on the studs.
I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

Old 03-07-2004, 12:54 PM

My '73 Catalina was/is notorious for that too. Pap taught me to keep the very tip of the hub cap tangs bent straight 90 degrees into the inner-diameter of the wheel rim. Still, at times the caps would "walk" around and bend the valve stem over. After a while like that, once I came out to parking lot at work and found a flat tire from stem cracking because of that. Got tired of messing with the caps and just left them off till I find a better idea. Looking nice is one thing, keeping the air in tires so you can get where you're going reliably is another.
By the way, if your son sprays oil under the body and frame of his car every fall, he might have that car all his life. My '73 was my college car I got when I was 19. Pap must have taught me well. I am 40 now and still drive the same car. Unless it gets wrecked or breaks in half, I ain't changin!

Mike
(If your people don't like you for who you are or what you drive, and you're not a bad guy, get new people!)